Fees increasing?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I got a call from ceo@dishnetwork.com this afternoon replying to my email last night complaining about the fee increase.

The guy from ceo seemed a bit taken aback that the news of the fee increase was in the wild.

He said theihad not been any public announcement of the fee change and he could not even quote me ant number on what the fee increases would be.

I guess he might have missed the meeting or something.

He sort of tried to downplay teh fee increase and tell me how wonderfule thir Hopper was.

I was having none of it.

Boy if I had gone ahead with my upgrade this afternoon and then learned about the fee increase I would be one seriously pissed off customer.

DISH THIS IS A REALLY DUMB MOVE!!

I cancelled my order for 2 hoppers this morning and just ordered replacements for my lightning fried 722 and 211 this morning, however my sister and her husband called me and said they decided to upgrade thru windstream and the installer could get out there this afternoon. So I went over and showed the installer what cables went where in the media closet, as I wired the house when it was being built 4 -5 yrs ago.

I was surprised when the installer showed up and "of course the work order was wrong" it only showed 1 hopper and 2 joeys instead of 2 hoppers and a joey. He corrected that, but then said "the 2nd hopper is $14 a month instead of $7 for a joey". I of course knew and had told my sister it was coming, but I was surprised the installer said it, as if it was now the current pricing.

There will be a fee for that.

I knew a guy who was a landlord. His tenants got one free call to him per month. Every call after that cost them. Most just fixed whatever little problem that came up.

That's funny, pretty smart actually.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I got a call from ceo@dishnetwork.com this afternoon replying to my email last night complaining about the fee increase.

The guy from ceo seemed a bit taken aback that the news of the fee increase was in the wild.

He said theihad not been any public announcement of the fee change and he could not even quote me ant number on what the fee increases would be.

I guess he might have missed the meeting or something.

He sort of tried to downplay teh fee increase and tell me how wonderfule thir Hopper was.

I was having none of it.

Boy if I had gone ahead with my upgrade this afternoon and then learned about the fee increase I would be one seriously pissed off customer.

DISH THIS IS A REALLY DUMB MOVE!!

They will play this down until there is an official announcement. As far as I'm concerned I already know all I need to.

Is MS moving away from supporting Media Center?

From what I've heard, MS pretty much closed up the Media Center team and only run the servers that run the guide. Hopefully someone like Ceton or Silicon Dust can fill the gap if MS decides to stop the guide service. I do have a Haupaugge tuner that can schedule recordings directly from Titan TV's website.

So if someone goes from Hopper to the ViP722 series, will the EHD recordings made by the Hopper be viewable by the ViPs? I'd think yes, but its best not to "assume."

should be able to...you can go from VIP to H/J and the EHD works fine

It's like when I talk to support on chat they bash directv for having huge costs but I counter and ask where's espn u in hd? Disney jr ? Where's my local team rsn channels in full time? They run the excuse that they don't have enough bandwidth to do that. I'm surprised all these channels aren't in hd.

I just asked on the online chat with dish about the fee increase. He transferred me to a supervisor who wasn't sure about it so he transferred me to his supervisor who explained to me the fee increase is only for new customers and that current customers have nothing to worry about. I can only hope this is true.

I just asked on the online chat with dish about the fee increase. He transferred me to a supervisor who wasn't sure about it so he transferred me to his supervisor who explained to me the fee increase is only for new customers and that current customers have nothing to worry about. I can only hope this is true.

That is highly unlikely and probably was just used to get you out of their hair. IMO

That is highly unlikely and probably was just used to get you out of their hair. IMO

Would have to agree, while I know that they raise fees for many reasons.. I wonder if this is done as they see "power users" those with more then one Hopper the minority of subs. I know that doesn't make it right or a good thing to do to your customers. I am one with two Hoppers/1 Joey with a family of four and three tv's I just don't see how a one Hopper/Two Joey would work

I think this is all just corperate greed. They got so many people to buy the Hoppers because of the autohop, and now that they have a huge base they can make a huge profit. There is nothing so new that it is worth the double price on the Hopper. They simply got people locked into two year price agreements and know they can lock in a raise with those people. To me I will most likely cancel my pp and maybe bb@home to offset costs. And for a previous poster that said the sling adapter was worth $100...not actually true, another case of greed there...they cost $40 at the start.

Just dropped PP and Epix pack. Problem solved. Even tried to cancel one premium and got it for 50% off for 6 months. Thanks Dish, you actually saved me money by telling me I had to pay more.

I just dropped down to top 120 WITHOUT rsn for $49.99 and dropped 1/2 price Hbo and one joey. I now save about $50.00 a month over what I was paying. Next month I will see an $11.00 increase because of my 2nd hopper ,but I will still be saving $39.99 over what I was paying. I could save another $7.00 if I could talk my son out of his joey. Since he watches mostly Netflix and Youtube on his computer and X box. So how you like that Charlie , you greedy bastard?

As someone said, this is unlikely to be true. But there is some hope that it could be. They did do some price protection with programming fees for existing customers this last increase. So it isn't out of the realm of possibility. We'll see in the next billing cycle I suppose.

I just dropped down to top 120 WITHOUT rsn for $49.99 and dropped 1/2 price Hbo and one joey. I now save about $50.00 a month over what I was paying. Next month I will see an $11.00 increase because of my 2nd hopper ,but I will still be saving $39.99 over what I was paying. I could save another $7.00 if I could talk my son out of his joey. Since he watches mostly Netflix and Youtube on his computer and X box. So how you like that Charlie , you greedy bastard?

I could do the same thing, but if I did then I'm not going to get the channels I want to watch. Pay less, get less is the name of the game. So instead I'll wait to see the next billing cycle and see exactly what is increasing for me, then I'll moan and groan and complain about it some more or not depending on my mood on that day. In the end I'll most likely drop BB@Home to Epix only and more closely manage my Premiums to ensure that for Cinemax and Starz, if there isn't a series that I just have to have that I don't keep subscribing to them.

Irritating to have to manage so closely to ensure that I get what I want without fattening the pig too damned much! :)

For those that like fodder for the grumbling, here's the way the numbers really break down with this increase.

1. Simplest to look at is the Hopper lease fee, that is just a simple 100% increase.

2. But for the 'DVR' for Hopper installs, there is some obscurity you might not have noticed.
The 'DVR' fee for the Hopper/Joey setup is made up of DVR and MRV fees. Since the DVR fee for non-Hopper installs isn't going up, neither is the portion of the Hopper 'DVR' fee.

So Hopper DVR is $7/DVR and $3/MRV. With the increase being $4 all in the MRV portion that means they are raising that by 133%!!

To those that think a lawsuit wouldn't be winnable, well with increases at those percentages, the odds of winning are much higher. Of course, the cost to do the lawsuit would be well beyond and savings you might get from it. And if it was done with a class action lawsuit, only the lawyers would get much of anything.

But to put a little perspective on things. D* already increased and changed the name of the various fees into the 'advanced receiver' fee which is $25. For new/returning customers (and those that dicker a bit), they credit off $10 for HD for 24 months, which means their DVR+MRV is $15.

Odd, D* and E* within a dollar on a fee... :)

He should be surprised since this is not to be public yet. This news has not been sent out to retailers yet. My sales rep had told me that he was hearing their may be an increase but he wasn't sure. Other than those rumors before this was not to be made public. It is confirmed now though and will be happening in May.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)