Fiber to cat 6

StarScan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 1, 2013
North Liberty, Indiana
I'm turning my barn into a party bar. I need wifi and access to my local network for my music library. I have not had the best of luck with buried cable. I'm wanting to run fiber optic from the barn to house. I will need about a 250' piece of fiber optic cable and 2 cat 6 to fiber adapters. What would be a good way to go?

These are awesome and eliminate the need for any type of burial.

Amazon product ASIN B004EGI3CI
It would take 2, 1 at the house & 1 at the barn. Use cat5 or 6 shielded cable & connectors. The 1 at house mounts outside and ties back to your router & 1 at the barn would mount outside facing the 1 at the house. It will go back to its own router which will provide an independent wifi system all on the same network.

You can also use 40 mhz channel width with these and get a full 150+ mbps throughput. These are rated for 5km. So 250' would be a walk in the park going this route.

Reactions: TheKrell
I already have a 3" piece of conduit running from house to barn containing the power line (100 amp service). I was wanting to go fiber so there is no worries about interference like I would if I ran cat 5 or 6 with it.

I already have a wireless link to barn and I'm not so impressed with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)