Field testing K30AL-D, Iola/Moran Kansas

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
I've been wanting to drive down to the Iola area for awhile now and test the LP signal of translator K30AL-D. This station rebroadcasts KTWU PBS out of Topeka. It's only 7.5 kW, and at my house it gets washed out by a 1000 kW station in my area, so I have to drive about 60 miles to be within range.

I drove right up to the tower location. Got a solid signal on my RCA rabbit ears (placed on top of my car).

No channel information is displayed. Seems like there might be an error with their transmitter, so I emailed them.

This town is located in the Joplin/Pittsburg DMA, but I couldn't pick up any of those stations, nor could I receive any stations from Topeka or Kansas City. It appears to be a true "dead zone." That being the case, I wonder if anybody else down there noticed their only OTA station was gone?

Things that make you go "hmmmmmm...."

IMG_0006.png
IMG_0007.JPG
K30AL-D.png

That is encouraging to see some broadcast engineers still even respond to viewers. I was looking at the map of Kansas and was surprised that area to be a "dead zone" in terms of TV reception. Way back in the analog days I went on an extensive camping trip across Kansas and Nebraska and was able to pick up at least a few TV stations everywhere I went. Of course with analog one had the option of watching a snowy picture which often was better than nothing.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I was looking at the map of Kansas and was surprised that area to be a "dead zone"

Perhaps with a good outdoor antenna mounted high on a roof the results would be different; I only had my mobile DX setup with me. Maybe a better way to put it would be “receptionally challenged” rather than dead zone :)

Perhaps with a good outdoor antenna mounted high on a roof the results would be different; I only had my mobile DX setup with me. Maybe a better way to put it would be “receptionally challenged” rather than dead zone :)

I'm southwest of Iola (Fredonia) and can attest to the lack of reception in the area.

We're in the middle of Joplin, Tulsa, Wichita and Topeka markets but can't really receive any of them. I've experimented with height, position, antenna type, antenna location and had no real results. KOAM & KFJX (real 7 & 13) used to come in somewhat reliably, but haven't had luck with those for a while.

A thread from back when I was working on improving the OTA reception: Suggestions for Extreme Fringe Reception

A thread with photos of the Yagi I built to try to receive UHF channel 30 (K30AL-D): Long distance antenna 60 - 100 miles?

I'm southwest of Iola (Fredonia) and can attest to the lack of reception in the area.

We're in the middle of Joplin, Tulsa, Wichita and Topeka markets but can't really receive any of them. I've experimented with height, position, antenna type, antenna location and had no real results. KOAM & KFJX (real 7 & 13) used to come in somewhat reliably, but haven't had luck with those for a while.

A thread from back when I was working on improving the OTA reception: Suggestions for Extreme Fringe Reception

A thread with photos of the Yagi I built to try to receive UHF channel 30 (K30AL-D): Long distance antenna 60 - 100 miles?

Jason, can you receive K30AL at your location?

I’m down in that area from time to time; we should have lunch sometime

Last edited:
Jason, can you receive K30AL at your location?

I’m down in that area from time to time; we should have lunch sometime
Lunch might be doable.

No luck for K30AL here. TV Fool showed there might be a chance for reception, but it's 2-edge at 46 miles and -10.8 dB.

A few snippings of the coverage area here with a modest 25' antenna height.
25-ft.JPG K30AL Snipping_25ft.JPG KAKE-25ft.JPG KOAM-25 ft.JPG KOED-25ft.JPG

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts