finally called Dtv for upgrade, did great I think!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Hate to bust your bubble, but you will be required to sign a two year lease agreement when the installer shows up, regardless of what the CSR said. If you refuse to sign it, the installer will go on to his next call.

Now D* always has the option of modifying the terms of your lease, and it may very well be that they are going to waive the lease agreement for you but the installer has no way of verifying this. D* requires installers to obtain signatures for all leased receivers they install.

Hey, no burst bubble here! I planned on being on being signed up to a two year contract. When the CSR came back after having me on hold and viewing my account, in her list of rattling off what she was going to give me, the "no new contract" was what she came up with. I asked her to repeat everything again slowly because she did rattle if off pretty fast, and I wrote down everything she said. Sure enough, "no new contract agreement" was what she had said. I asked her to verify what that means, and she said: "your current contract expires in November, and when that is up, you are no longer going to be under contract with us."

I would have been happy with just the HR20. When she came back with the free HD programming and no contract as well, I was more than pleased.

Being that this person was in customer retention, I am sure she noted on the account that there is to be no new contract after the technician installs my receiver. Seeing that D* provides the technician, or his company with the receiver to begin with, I am sure they have that authority. And I am sure whatever notes the customer retention puts on the account trumps whatever a regular CSR does.

And even if I am under contract for another two years... I don't care! I never planned on jumping ship to E* even if I did not get the HR20.

Hey, no burst bubble here! I planned on being on being signed up to a two year contract. When the CSR came back after having me on hold and viewing my account, in her list of rattling off what she was going to give me, the "no new contract" was what she came up with. I asked her to repeat everything again slowly because she did rattle if off pretty fast, and I wrote down everything she said. Sure enough, "no new contract agreement" was what she had said. I asked her to verify what that means, and she said: "your current contract expires in November, and when that is up, you are no longer going to be under contract with us."

I would have been happy with just the HR20. When she came back with the free HD programming and no contract as well, I was more than pleased.

Being that this person was in customer retention, I am sure she noted on the account that there is to be no new contract after the technician installs my receiver. Seeing that D* provides the technician, or his company with the receiver to begin with, I am sure they have that authority. And I am sure whatever notes the customer retention puts on the account trumps whatever a regular CSR does.

And even if I am under contract for another two years... I don't care! I never planned on jumping ship to E* even if I did not get the HR20.

Just a quick clarification...D* does not provide the technician. They contract out to various HSP's (Home Service Providers), who wear D* uniforms but are not D* employees. I just didn't want you to be surprised because the technician will have you sign the contract when he gets there.

Just a quick clarification...D* does not provide the technician. They contract out to various HSP's (Home Service Providers), who wear D* uniforms but are not D* employees. I just didn't want you to be surprised because the technician will have you sign the contract when he gets there.

Trust me... I understand that the technician works for a company and before he comes to my house he will remove the Comcast magnet off his truck and slap the Directv one on.

Directv can do whatever they want... the installers they contract out to do not have any say in what directv does with my account... including how long if any lease agreement I am on.

The installers are paid to install the equipment. They do not pay a dime for their product they install, (the receivers). Directv, or whoever they are installing for pays them in the neighborhood of $80 per install.

I have had four directv installers at my house on behalf of Directv in the last four years I have been with them. When the tech calls D* to activate the equipment, he hands the phone to me and the CSR asks a few questions including that i understand the fact that I will be on contract for another year or two. I also sign the sheet the technician gives me, which has only Directv's logo on it. They then submit that sheet I signed to Directv at the end of the week so they have a verification on file with them.

After lurking on these boards for a while, I learned that I would need the new HR20 and AT9 to get the new HD channels. After reading this thread, I learned that I could *threaten* to go to Dish if I didn't get what I wanted from Direct.

Knowing that I never was gonna leave, I called and stated that new customers were getting better deals than existing customers. I also mentioned that I had called yesterday and got no deal at all. In my polite tone, I mentioned that I could go to Dish for no money, and receive more HD.

I learned that I had been a customer since 1998 (I had stopped counting). The deal? New HR20, new AT9, no lease fee, and a $21 credit on my account for the grand total of ZERO dollars. Oh yeah, I have to wait 2 days for the install.

Thanks for the help guys. This board and DIRECTV are the greatest!

I am ashamed that I even considered DISH.

After lurking on these boards for a while, I learned that I would need the new HR20 and AT9 to get the new HD channels. After reading this thread, I learned that I could *threaten* to go to Dish if I didn't get what I wanted from Direct.

Knowing that I never was gonna leave, I called and stated that new customers were getting better deals than existing customers. I also mentioned that I had called yesterday and got no deal at all. In my polite tone, I mentioned that I could go to Dish for no money, and receive more HD.

I learned that I had been a customer since 1998 (I had stopped counting). The deal? New HR20, new AT9, no lease fee, and a $21 credit on my account for the grand total of ZERO dollars. Oh yeah, I have to wait 2 days for the install.

Good deal. Just remember with a waived lease fee, its still a lease unit and a 2 year commitment. They may have told you that but just in case.

Nice job! It seems we have found the weakness of D*. :dev

Competition is always a good thing.

Here's what I just got:

Free HD-DVR
--w/ new satellite
--$19.95 S&H
--Free install
HD Plus Programming Pack ($69.99/mo)
--Free HBO/Showtime/Cinemax 1YR
--Free Starz 3mo
Credits
--$9.99/mo credit 1YR
--$10.00/mo credit 1YR
--$150 one-time service credit
NFL Sunday Ticket [not for free]
--Free Superfan
MLB Extra Innings [not for free]
--Free Superfan

Had to reup contract for 2YR.

Not too bad.

You can not be under contract to get these kind of deals correct?

I've only been with DTV for 3 months and want to upgrade from an H20 to an HR20
They are willing to drop the price or offset it with rebates if you get the right CSR and explain what you want nicely. I did the same thing you are talking about 3 months into mine and then last week got the h20 back for free

I reviewed my order on-line and it shows a 1- D* HD receiver (H20 I presume), 1 D* HR20 IRD, and 1 D* 5LNB Multi-satellite dish. Is there anything else I need? What's this B-Band thing? Is it included in the LNB package?

Jack

I reviewed my order on-line and it shows a 1- D* HD receiver (H20 I presume), 1 D* HR20 IRD, and 1 D* 5LNB Multi-satellite dish. Is there anything else I need? What's this B-Band thing? Is it included in the LNB package?

Jack

B-Bands come with all HR20's and H20's. Simple to install.

Status
Please reply by conversation.