finally called Dtv for upgrade, did great I think!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pinkcookies26

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
As I stated before that I have been a customer for 9 yrs and wanted to upgrade to hd. Told the first csr I needed two HR-20s and the new dish and she said $299 each receiver or $99 for the H20. I voiced my displeasure and hung up. Called back and asked for retention went through same spill and next thing I know I got 1st Hr-20 for $199 and second free, free HD service for a year, an additional $10 off bill for a year, and free 5 LNB dish and install. Retention csr was really nice and hooked me up, I am very happy now. Install on 8/19, I'll let you know how that goes. Thanks for all the input and advice.

Would we steer anyone wrong? :rolleyes: Nice job and good luck. You are gonna love the HR20 and all the new HD next month. I cant wait myself.

My first call to service got a whole lot of nothing, then I got transferred to retention where they gave me a HR20, free install, 5 LNB dish, and an offer to move my old box to a new place, and $10/month off my bill for the first year . For the requisite $19.95 & 2 year commitment.

The above is called "The Shoppers Package" by DTV retention.

A 2nd call got another $10 off the bill for the first year. I still had to sign on for the 2 years, but after 8 with DTV I don't really mind a couple more.

pinkcookies26
I just got the same deal as you did. Check your order online to make sure both receivers are on the order. Mine only had one and it took two days different trips to get everthing. Hope this helps.

You can not be under contract to get these kind of deals correct?

I've only been with DTV for 3 months and want to upgrade from an H20 to an HR20

You can not be under contract to get these kind of deals correct?

I've only been with DTV for 3 months and want to upgrade from an H20 to an HR20

Longevity and amount you pay really helps but we've seen new folks get deals too. Worth trying. More then likely discount and not free unless you are really good at negotiating.

I'm hoping when the new HD channels go online that there will be some kind of deals going on.

Free HR20 (via $200 instant credit against one I leased through eBay), $10 credit for 12 months, HD Access free for 6 months, and Super Fan for free. Early Bird Sunday Ticket subscriber.

jasonbird

I was not under contract. I have been with D* since 1999 and I've had sunday ticket and premier from the beginning. This was the first time I asked for a deal.

Denman007

I have not been charged for superfan yet.

Last edited:
I'm hoping when the new HD channels go online that there will be some kind of deals going on.
I suspect there may be. But I wonder if there will be a crush of orders as soon as the HD programming goes live.

I just ordered an HR20 for essentially $199 ($299 minus a $100 programming credit) this morning, and the first available installation appointment wasn't until September 12. If it's already a month out even before all the new HD channels are up, I'd imagine it will be even worse in a few weeks.

Of course, the bottleneck here seems to be the availability of installation appointments, not the hardware itself, so if you're DIY-inclined it may not be an issue. I figured it would probably be another month until more HD channels are rolled out anyway, so I didn't mind the wait to avoid getting on the roof in Texas in the summertime.

I suspect there may be. But I wonder if there will be a crush of orders as soon as the HD programming goes live.

I just ordered an HR20 for essentially $199 ($299 minus a $100 programming credit) this morning, and the first available installation appointment wasn't until September 12. If it's already a month out even before all the new HD channels are up, I'd imagine it will be even worse in a few weeks.

Of course, the bottleneck here seems to be the availability of installation appointments, not the hardware itself, so if you're DIY-inclined it may not be an issue. I figured it would probably be another month until more HD channels are rolled out anyway, so I didn't mind the wait to avoid getting on the roof in Texas in the summertime.

I know others have said this too but this is what I have been warning folks about. If you want the new HD, you better get an appointment now or deal with delays. I cant imagine what it will be like the first few weeks when the channels show up.

:welcome BTW

I just tried the DIY seeing as I already have 2 HR20's and the 5 LNB installed. Replacing a SD tivo so no new cables needed. It is going to be an easy install that is for sure. It will be here next Monday.

Normally they won't just ship it to you. I got my HR20-700 in January for $199, no shipping charge from the DTV web site (I was under contract) and an installer delivered it . I already had an AT-9 dish and hooked up the DVR while he called in to activate it. He was happy to be able to leave within 10 minutes of arriving.

Thanks, I looked and both receivers are scheduled for the same install day. I remember the csr saying that they would have different order numbers but both be there with the installer.

I got a great deal as well on the HR20. (I have had the H20 for almost a year now).

I called D* and asked for Customer retention right away. As soon as I was transfered I told the CSR that if they want to keep me as a customer, they have to beat the deal that I have from a local Dish Network install company's mailer I received.

The Dish Network Deal was that I could get the same comparable programming I have with D* currently, including the HD. This would cost me $25 less per month than I currently pay with D*. And they would throw in two receivers for free, one of which is Dish's HDDVR.

I brought it to the CSR's attention that ironically, $25 less per month equals $300 for the year.. "and holy crap that's what your HR20's cost at Directv" :eek:

I told her I was going to jump ship and go with Dish, because I am desperate to get my hands on an HDDVR. I also fed her the line of "I love Directv's service and am very pleased with it, and do not want to leave unless this deal with dish forces me to, because I am not paying $300 for an HDDVR".

She reviewed my account and came back with this deal:

Free HR20
Free HD programming for 1 year.
No additional 2 year agreement on my account. (My current contract with D* is up this November).

Not bad at all if I say so myself! :)

And oh yeah... I still have not seen that mailer from the dish network install company... I wonder if it was mis-placed. ;)

I got a great deal as well on the HR20. (I have had the H20 for almost a year now).

I called D* and asked for Customer retention right away. As soon as I was transfered I told the CSR that if they want to keep me as a customer, they have to beat the deal that I have from a local Dish Network install company's mailer I received.

The Dish Network Deal was that I could get the same comparable programming I have with D* currently, including the HD. This would cost me $25 less per month than I currently pay with D*. And they would throw in two receivers for free, one of which is Dish's HDDVR.

I brought it to the CSR's attention that ironically, $25 less per month equals $300 for the year.. "and holy crap that's what your HR20's cost at Directv" :eek:

I told her I was going to jump ship and go with Dish, because I am desperate to get my hands on an HDDVR. I also fed her the line of "I love Directv's service and am very pleased with it, and do not want to leave unless this deal with dish forces me to, because I am not paying $300 for an HDDVR".

She reviewed my account and came back with this deal:

Free HR20
Free HD programming for 1 year.
No additional 2 year agreement on my account. (My current contract with D* is up this November).

Not bad at all if I say so myself! :)

And oh yeah... I still have not seen that mailer from the dish network install company... I wonder if it was mis-placed. ;)

Hate to bust your bubble, but you will be required to sign a two year lease agreement when the installer shows up, regardless of what the CSR said. If you refuse to sign it, the installer will go on to his next call.

Now D* always has the option of modifying the terms of your lease, and it may very well be that they are going to waive the lease agreement for you but the installer has no way of verifying this. D* requires installers to obtain signatures for all leased receivers they install.

This is for general information. Whenever you accept advanced leased hardware (its ALL leased except for extremely rare scenarios, you will know if you paid $800 for the DVR) you assume a 2 year lease at the moment of accepting the lease scenario by opening the card seal and activating the unit. Anyone telling you to the contrary does NOT have their facts straight.

I got the deal of the century in Sept of last year, I got 2 HR-20's for $99 each, new 5lnb dish, free installation, 12 mos of HD Package for free, $10 off my bill per month for 12 month's, and a one-time credit for like $238 (somewhere in that ballpark) to cover the $99x2 + tax along with a new 24mos commit.

I asked for retention and told her nicely that I was considering going to Dish, told her what I wanted for IRD's and said give me your best deal to make me stay right this second and if i like it I will do it. She came back with that deal and I said sold make it happen.

Couldn't have been easier for me but after doing some reading i got the deal of deals it seems....

Status
Please reply by conversation.