Finally got dtv

Status
Please reply by conversation.

OSD771

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
Pokey
I finally got directv after not being able to have it for 6 months due to a lame landlord.

I managed to install it inside pointing out a window. I only get about 70% signal strength on sats 101-119 with the window open. Then with the window closed I get osd 920 has not received guide data for last hour. But it works fine other than osd 771 searching for sat signal on a few lame channels I don't even watch.

it took me about 4 different trys to find the right window and the right mounting height and position in the room that I got best signal. But I have it and I love it. :)

I'd strongly suggest looking for different digs as the problem will only get worse when you decide you need HD.

OSD771 said:
I finally got directv after not being able to have it for 6 months due to a lame landlord.

I managed to install it inside pointing out a window. I only get about 70% signal strength on sats 101-119 with the window open. Then with the window closed I get osd 920 has not received guide data for last hour. But it works fine other than osd 771 searching for sat signal on a few lame channels I don't even watch.

it took me about 4 different trys to find the right window and the right mounting height and position in the room that I got best signal. But I have it and I love it. :)

Oh wow! I'd have to say that's pretty impressive! Maybe you could close the window and then search for the signal so you never have to open the window :)

Window glass is a relatively effective barrier to satellite signals. Low-E glass, with its deposited metal coating, effectively stops satellite signals.

The solution may lie in replacing the conventional glass with plexiglass. Polycarbonate will NOT work.

Do you need 119? If you go 101 only you'll probably get rid of that guide data issue, and get a better signal centering on just the one satellite.

I was planning on replacing it with plexiglass. I tried searching for signal with the window closed for about 30 mins. It is a double paned window so maybe its just reflecting the signal?

I have HD, I'm using slimline, swm 3 and hr24

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)