Finally got it done....

professor229

Original poster
Dec 1, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Decided to put a larger screen TV in the spare bedroom. We have had really good luck with Insignia TVs from Best Buy... until now. Bought a 55" smart Insignia... and a wall mount unit... did it right.. it was all good... sound failed on the Insignia... returned... got a second 55" Insignia.... set it up... same thing happened a day later... checked out all the wiring to make sure it was not something on my antenna system.... It all checked out fine... returned the TV... got a 43 inch Insignia smart TV delivered free the next day... awfully nice picture.... sound was fine... two days later I had "interference lines" that ran through the TV all the time... swapped it with another TV location and the 43 still had a problem... and the 32 I swapped it with was fine in the bedroom.... took it back .... gal at the return desk gave me a hard time... I had taken videos of the problem... and showed her.... end of discussion there..... Want another one? (I was asked?) Nope... went to of all places, Walmart... got an older model Samsung ($248 50 inches)... not a smart TV but it sure did everything a smart TV would do including downloading and communicating with the Internet through my WIFI ... so I have a guide.... no Alexa.... but "numbers" on the remote control..... beautiful picture and sound but some issues.... Has to be four inches of clearance between the TV and wall.... with the wall mount unit I have that is NOT going to happen... also needed a wall mount system that is proprietary for Samsung and not the current universal mounting holes in the back of the TV.... so I put the feet on it, and moved another TV to the wall.... Samsung now sits on my fake fireplace in the family room.... Added a ROKU unit to all four TVs in the house..... added a Tablo unit for $79 that is exceptional... and downloaded a whole bunch more APPS to the TVs.... live only a few miles from the towers that broadcast OTA so the digital picture is nearly perfect all the time except for the solar flare problem a week or so ago.... Life is good....

I bought a Insignia 55" TV for the workout room back in late 2021. I had so many problems with it that BB couldn't fix it and let me return it 6 months later for store credit. I bought a new Sony TV for the living room and moved the 2014 Sony up to the workout room. The BB manager admitted that they switched from Samsung to a variety of no-name Chinese companies at some point for the Insignia TV brand OEMs, and the product quality went down hill.

Amazing... We bought three Insignias over the years with about the same timetable as you did... All three have been exceptional TVs... so when I needed one, I looked online and they had a deal on both the 50 and 55s.... $238 I believe for the 55s... and our local BB had two of them in stock. When I got to BB the next morning, I looked for a display model; there was none. I looked for two boxes; didn't find any so I had to ask. It took the kid about ten minutes to find one of the two???!!! I checked to make sure it was not an open box.... it appeared to be new.. That is when the fiasco began. After three failures, I decided to look at a Samsung because the one in my computer room has been excellent. I thought Samsung's were low end... but saw the prices and the reviews... especially for the new "smart" format... Then I found these older models.. technically NOT smart TVs and not advertised as such but they did have the ability to communicate with my WIFI/ROUTER... You could tell they were an older model because of the hokey setup... and that was not the easiest but I didn't have to give them a credit card number (skip it was an option) and the website to register the thing was not correct... but I figured it out and thought I would have to type that cumbersome serial number but it communicated that too. The picture is as good as my Insignias... the sound is not quite as good... not a big deal.

If I was just looking for a couple cheap TVs right now, I wouldn't hesitate buying a couple more of these Samsung older models...

As long as I am at it, I wonder if someone can give me a recommendation on a decent sound bar... I don't want the best or state of the art.. just a lower priced unit that is average/decent... and also, are there any that I should avoid?

Thanks for the help....