Youtube Tv ers

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
I went up to my Sisters today to help her set up a Roku and Youtube TV ....

Everything went fine, until .... we eventually got the YTTV set up, but when she went to look at the Local channels, she found they were not the local cities.
We tried everything we could in the Settings, eventually Called and the guy went thru, the same stuff we already did and then we were hung up on in the middle of a discussion.

This May just be the way it is with streaming (If so, its quite SAD)
My Sister lives about 500 feet inside the Michigan line 500 feet south and shes in Toledo Ohio.
However, when your told to set up the YTTV, it asks for the Zip Code, we put her zip in and it shows her getting Detroit Locals (a meer 50 miles away, remember, the back yard is almost in Toledo).

The guy trying to help, tried, then was adamant that we had no options left.
Apparently it goes by your IP address of your phone ???

Any ways to get the Correct Locals that you guys may know of ?
The zip right next to her is 43623 in Ohio.

I'm thinking this is going to be a Your In Michigan, so you get Detroit (which no one wants) .... issue and shes screwed ... if so, she'll more than likely just cancel.

Reactions: CyberSpock
I went up to my Sisters today to help her set up a Roku and Youtube TV ....

Everything went fine, until .... we eventually got the YTTV set up, but when she went to look at the Local channels, she found they were not the local cities.
We tried everything we could in the Settings, eventually Called and the guy went thru, the same stuff we already did and then we were hung up on in the middle of a discussion.

This May just be the way it is with streaming (If so, its quite SAD)
My Sister lives about 500 feet inside the Michigan line 500 feet south and shes in Toledo Ohio.
However, when your told to set up the YTTV, it asks for the Zip Code, we put her zip in and it shows her getting Detroit Locals (a meer 50 miles away, remember, the back yard is almost in Toledo).

The guy trying to help, tried, then was adamant that we had no options left.
Apparently it goes by your IP address of your phone ???

Any ways to get the Correct Locals that you guys may know of ?
The zip right next to her is 43623 in Ohio.

I'm thinking this is going to be a Your In Michigan, so you get Detroit (which no one wants) .... issue and shes screwed ... if so, she'll more than likely just cancel.
When we first moved to Florida, we were still getting Detroit locals, stayed like that until I changed the zip code a few months later, did not matter what the IP address was, I assume it would of been figured out sooner or later, but it never was those first few months.

It's very rigid and they make no exceptions. FCC regulations dictate would the regions are, but I'm more surprised by broadcasters that seem to want it this way.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

What county is she in?
Monroe County, MI gets Detroit
Lenawee County (next door) gets Toledo
Lucas County, OH gets Toledo

you keep saying she is this close to Toledo. If she is in the Detroit DMA then she gets Detroit locals. Its that simple.

Untitled.jpg

Reactions: comfortably_numb
When we first moved to Florida, we were still getting Detroit locals, stayed like that until I changed the zip code a few months later, did not matter what the IP address was, I assume it would of been figured out sooner or later, but it never was those first few months.
But, how did you change it, shes went into the Location sections multiple times and it won't acept another location.

What county is she in?
Monroe County, MI gets Detroit
Lenawee County (next door) gets Toledo
Lucas County, OH gets Toledo

you keep saying she is this close to Toledo. If she is in the Detroit DMA then she gets Detroit locals. Its that simple.

View attachment 167572
You JUST said if shes in Lenawee county she gets Toledo ...
Thats where she is

Correction, shes in Monroe county

You JUST said if shes in Lenawee county she gets Toledo ...
Thats where she is
the map is a few years old (the DMA maps don't update yearly) so it is possible that is the Detroit market now.
What would she get for locals with satellite? (I'm exempting cable as it being that close she probably gets both markets)

the map is a few years old (the DMA maps don't update yearly) so it is possible that is the Detroit market now.
What would she get for locals with satellite? (I'm exempting cable as it being that close she probably gets both markets)
Unsure, I've never checked.

What happens if I log in at my home with her info, I'm in Ohio ???
They say you can share/family ...
It would pick up an IP from my location, would that change anything ?

That I do not know. But since it’s her account it probably goes off of that. What does she use for internet?

What provider did she have before this?

Hey it could be worse
The far western county in northern Michigan (where Ironwood is) in in a Minnesota market (Duluth). Little thing called Wisconsin in between them :)
(Northern Wisconsin is Duluth market)

• Wow
Reactions: Jimbo