Finally got setup, SG2100 was a pain.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

AmyGrendel

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
Well it took us 3 days but the 39" dish and SG2100 are working and following the arc.

Tim spent almost 3days trying to get the dish to follow the arc and never could quite get it to work correctly. Where we have the pole, next to the fence, you cant get behind it so he worked from the side. (We needed the pole as far back as possible to clear the peak of our house.) First he followed the directions and set the 2100 according to the manual. Installed the dish. It tracked the arc but it wasn't really working well for the satellites at the end of the arc. So for the next two days I watched him drag out the Coolsat and TV and fight as he called it, trying to get it to track correctly. (Funny, I never thought he would get into this like he has.)

This is what worked, and I'm going to let him tell you :)

Hey guys.. I tell you this can be a frustrating thing to setup if you dont have patients. I set the motor roughly to south.. set the dish roughly to south. Went to the coolsat and selected 105w and got a signal and test card displaying blaw blaw you are pointing at 105w blaw blaw. Using diseqc I went one at a time storing satellites from one end to another and was quite pleased that it was working and I didnt have to adjust anything. I was about to call it a day when I leaned alittle hard on the pole and noticed the quality was going from 65% to 80% on IA-7. So I started moving the dish here and there and got a great signal then went back to that satellite at 105 and found it was good so then I went over to... AMC6 and there was nothing. so I started adjusting again.. it was working great. went back to IA-7 and nothing. I called it quits and when to work. At work I remember reading something by iceberg.. usals. I set that up for my south satellite and it found it. I peaked it as best I could. Thought for sure this was going to work this time. It only worked well for about 3-4 sats left or right and that was it. I was about to say screw this when I double checked just where the motor was pointing. Well hell.. it was defiantly not pointing south with the dish but pointing about 5 degrees east with the dish pointing 5 degrees west. Instead of the whole unit pointing in a straight line I had it angled abit left and right but it still was pointing south. I fixed that and BAM it worked great. I looked at both ends of the arc and no tweaking could get a better signal.. All through the middle was great too except 105W my south satellite. If I pull just the littlest up on it.. it would go from 89% to 91%. Well seeing that there isnt any thing there Im not going to bother fixing that. Well Im going to look for somemore sports feeds now... thanks for a great site and all the info contained.

Wow I gotta work on his grammar abit. :) Anyways now I'm going to have to give him a hand setting up the 1.3 meter cband dish I got. He wants Nasa TV on AMC-6. This should be fun. :)

I would definitely check that pole out. If you could lean on it and move it out of plumb...that could move it out of the arc. The first rule of satellite club is make sure you pole is plumb and level. Glad you got some of the birds tracking.

Good job, Tim and Amy!

It took me much, much longer to get everything right and tracking the arc correctly. I don't know how many times I took the Pansat and a little portable TV outside to do more tweeking. I finally figured out the motor wasn't exactly at zero on my true south satellite. (Or course, I've been out several times since, just to tweek things a little more... you never really stop doing that!)

Doesn't it feel great when it finally works right?

Congratulations on a job well done. And just in time for College Football. Amy you get to be the good sport and fetch the beer and chips for Tim. Enjoy!

Al

Congratulations!! You aren't the only one who took alot of time to work on motor.. It took me for like more than 3 days to make it perfect.. I know the feeling!! :D

Glad to see it all worked out :) The SG-2100 has proven itself to be a very good motor for me, and it is very well built. Just be careful not to tighten the U-bolts on the bracket too tight as they can strip.

Good Job! You wil enjoy the games :)
I did the pole adjustment for the third time in 2 weeks to get the USALS working. It was slightly off and I had to use 1.2 settings to peak the signals on sats at the end of the arc. Now the pole is plumb and working on USALS, almost perfectly!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)