How to identify backhauls/wildfeeds

Status
Please reply by conversation.

awh

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
First off, what do you do with backhauls in regards to the channel list? Do you keep them, or erase them after the feed is finished? I have added quite a lot of channels chasing sports backhauls today and don't know if there're worth saving in the channel list, as they may not appear on the same satellite/transponder in the future.

Secondly, how do you identify the uplinker? It seems that the days of using the ATIS on 7.11 to figure out where the signal is coming from is over! Is there a digital equivalent to the old 7.11 audio CW identification? :)

A good 'for instance' - right now on XXXXXXXXXXX

Tony
Home Page - http://www.cyberspace.org/~awh/
--

Last edited by a moderator:
I would save the channels. I have over 600 on ku band and 100 on c-band. I don't have blind scan, so I use these along with dark sparklies on the analog receiver to spot digital feeds. I don't know how successful this is because I don't know what's missing, but it's more than I can usually watch the complete games of on the weekends.

Identifying the uplinker is not that important. It usually doesn't relate to the actual feed.

Any channel that has ever showed up as a feed on my receiver will have some oddball name of some sort. I will save EACH AND EVERY feed channel I can get. There are times here and there when that particular channel will get used again on some other day/night.

I'll never delete them from my list cause I never know when they come back on. I'd rather save hundreds of feed channels and check em every now and then. Also, doing a blindscan just about every other night and I pick up at least one new feed slot each time I scan. Best times are the few hours before the late local news. That would be 11PM for us around here in South Florida.

Save em. If they turn out to not be regulars don't put them in your favorites. I keep all channels saved in Pansat, but only keep English Speaking, and foreign languages with English subtitles, in Favorite 1 list. Favorite 2 list was originally for just new feeds, but now I usually just put them in favorite 1 list since it's not that hard to skip a channel when channel surfin. I put Religious channels in Favorite 3. I put solely foriegn broadcasts in Favorite 4. I criss cross a lot, so stuff might have a 1 and a 2 if it's a newfeed that I like and actually know will pop up again. If it's a news feed in Spanish I'll use 4 and 2, etc. My wife doesn't know Spanish, so she hates seeing Spanish channels show up in Favorite 1 - I speak some Spanish, so I will go to surf on Favorite 4 if nothings on in Favorite 1

Also, study Lyngsat and what does show up. SR 3.979 usually is a News Feed... and at least one or two major newsfeed makers use the same naming scheme on their tp service names.

Alright, I guess I'll save them... between news feeds and sports backhauls I must have added at least 50 channels today alone!

What I'm looking for in identifying the uplinker is, on analog the CW identification string would give you an "E" number ("E" for earthstation) which you could plug into the FCC database and it would tell you to who and what city/state that uplink was licensed... I came across some color bars that I didn't stick with to see what poped up - I was looking for the worldfeed for the Champ Car race today, but this week I couldn't find it.

Tony
--

Last edited:
mastermesh said:
Also, study Lyngsat and what does show up. SR 3.979 usually is a News Feed.

Yea, I saw that in Lyngsat too... but, as far as I can tell, there's no way to tell who/where this particular feed is coming from. The info on screen says "SATOPS NETU15" and some of the MS/NBC feeds on that same satellite say the same thing, so I guess it's an NBC uplink?

Tony
--

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
I'll play devil's advocate. I delete them after too many get built up. I prefer to work with a smaller list and just blind scan to find new stuff.

same here. A few of the sports feeds I keep and move into order (I have my main channels listed from E to W by satellite)

The problem I have is if I scan say AMC5 and get 5 channels. They're saved at the end. Then I do some more scanning and have other channels/satellites at those end up at the end of my list. I then go back to AMC5 say the next day and scan and get more chanels. But they're not all at the end. If any are duplicates they are at their spot in the list.

So its confusing. Throw in the fact that the Coolsat loves to move the motor if you roll over the channel on the list its a lot of use on the motor. If I had a box set up that I could scroll and see the info and only have the motor move if I tell it too (my Pansat use to do that) :)

When I download a channel, I put it in the order of the satellites. For example, on ku band, I have 3 saved on AMC 6, # 4 thru 125 or close to that is SBS 6. If I download a new channel on SBS 6 (I can save 128 per satellite), it goes to the end of the saved channels (# 700 something). I name it the Freq and SR and move it in line with SBS 6 and the proper frequency. I list horizontal channels first per satellite on c and ku and then the vertical ones. Except, vertical is first on G11 Ku for some reason.

I usually use sort by tp and then sort by satellite in the Pansat after I scan in new channels. That way it's easy to find dupes that might be a few mhz apart. I keep my main channels in favorite 1.

awh said:
First off, what do you do with backhauls in regards to the channel list? Do you keep them, or erase them after the feed is finished? I have added quite a lot of channels chasing sports backhauls today and don't know if there're worth saving in the channel list, as they may not appear on the same satellite/transponder in the future.

Secondly, how do you identify the uplinker? It seems that the days of using the ATIS on 7.11 to figure out where the signal is coming from is over! Is there a digital equivalent to the old 7.11 audio CW identification? :)

A good 'for instance' - right now on XXXXXXXXXXX

Tony
--

There is no such thing as ATIS in the Digital Sat world....7.1 and 8.2 in Analoge is all you get for E/S ident....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts