Finally have my DVR's installed

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mec6762

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
Montgomery City, MO
In an earlier thread, I was debating on whether to get an R15 DVR or not. Thanks to the encouragement of Brewer4 and others, I decided to get both the R15 and the HR20, and obtained them for just the full price of the R-15 plus shipping/handling. :)

I had scheduled my appointment with the installer(Premier Communications) for yesterday between noon and 4. He called twice saying there will be a delay-first it would be 4:30 before he gets here, then 6:00. He finally got here at 7:30. He said the delay was tht D* had computer problems and could not activate the HD receiver at his previous install for 2-3 hours. I had no reason to doubt him so I understood. The installer first put in the HR20 and it went fairly smooth, even though there were problems with the picture and receiving a satellite signal. Those problems were taken care of when I suggested that the video feed wires and the coax's from the multiswitch were maybe switched. He looked at the back of the receiver again and saw one of the component wires were loose and one of the coax's was screwed into the RF antenna terminal. problem solved.

The installation for the second coax was a little more difficult since it involved fishing the second line from the upstairs living room to the basement, where the multiswitch was. He initally didn't want it do it since the home is prewired during construction and the people who initally installed my D* system just used the existing wire. He didn't think the drill holes in the joists were big enough to run a second line through, so I suggested a different route. To make a long story short, he(well, we) got the second line for the R15 fished through and connected. I didn't get to play around with the receivers much because it was after 10:30 pm when he left and I had to get to bed.

Overall, I'd have to say the install went as expected. IMO, the installer could have used an extra helper but that wasn't his fault. I was just glad I was able to help or else he would have been here well after midnight.

Brewer4, I think I might just do that. Gives me some experience on doing the manual record. So far, I'm not disapointed in it at all. I'm still learning the ropes, so to speak. I might even join in on the chat. I have Saturday off, so I can stay up later tomorrow night. :)

Sounds great mec6762. Glad it worked out. See you in the chat.

If interested in testing new software, the R15 and HR20-700 are getting new CE test downloads after the launch at 11 PM EDT. See Living on the Edge section for more details. I figure better to take chances now then deep into the Fall with all the new programing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts