Finally -- My high speed internet is faster than dial up!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
You guys that don't have access to goo wire speeds, have you looked at Exede, the pricing is meh compared wire, but the speeds are great!!!

They have really improved their speed but the issue with streaming video is that it will blow you past your data cap quickly if you stream a lot.

That is true, its probably impossible to resist some sort of streaming now a days too.

Some sites are better than others for low bandwidth limits. Netflix and Hulu don't have many options for resolutions, but Comedy Central can put out pretty low resolution video, and Youtube has this nice option on some videos:

yout.jpg

Of course 144p won't look that great, but you also won't hit your limit after a week either.

Jeff Bezos said a year or so ago that the cost is 1/2 cent and falling per gigabyte to transfer data via land. Seems some ISPs didn't get the message. The bandwidth scarcity model seems absurd to me, what am I missing ?

The "cost" of the bandwidth is not the same in all areas. The availability of frequencies -- that base of bandwidth -- that cause the problem. In this area, a hospital had purchased the licenses for too many frequencies, so the ISPs had few frequencies to use. (Long, tight lipped story, but base frequencies became available - and I finally got high speed - and I can go faster - so they are telling me.)

Jeff Bezos said a year or so ago that the cost is 1/2 cent and falling per gigabyte to transfer data via land. Seems some ISPs didn't get the message. The bandwidth scarcity model seems absurd to me, what am I missing ?
No shortage, cox has 150 mbps here in FL and look here... Gigapower 300Mbps internet AT&T Uverse now live in AUSTIN TX and Round Rock select neighborhoods only $70 and Free Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 if you add TV Looks like AT&T Uverse went live with their phase one of Gigapower internet in select neighborhoods in Austin and Round Rock. 300Mbps internet (free upgrade to 1Gbps planned for mid-2014) for $70 or above plus U200 TV (includes HBO/HBOGO) for $120 3 year price guarantees with 1 year terms FREE Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 if bundled with TV

I have 150 MB service from COX and honestly I can't tell any speed difference between it and their 50 MB service. That plus the fact the cap is 400 GB puts a cramp on things. I am actually thinking about downgrading back to the 50 MB service.

I have 150 MB service from COX and honestly I can't tell any speed difference between it and their 50 MB service. That plus the fact the cap is 400 GB puts a cramp on things. I am actually thinking about downgrading back to the 50 MB service.

You misunderstood. They meant 1 MB each for the first 150 people who signed up! LOL

A lot of web servers only support a certain speed. Anything over it makes no difference. You can view HD over 5-6 MB download speeds. If you do large file transfers, that is when the higher speeds seem to make a lot of difference, or if you have several people use the internet at the same time. I don't think the majority need anything more than 25-50 MB at this current time. Everybody's needs are different though.

Their commercial service has no bandwidth cap. 3 up 15 down for $70/month works well for my needs.

Giving customers all that speed just makes them hit the cap faster...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)