Finally Voomin' in AZ!!!!

cohiba

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
AZ
Well, it finally happened. I got Voom installed and I've been drooling all weekend! Ok, ok, so it doesn't hurt that I also finally got my projector and 106" screen installed this weekend too... I don't think I moved off the couch the rest of the weekend--couldn't even make myself come post this. Fortunately, now it's Monday and I have to be at work, so now I have plenty of spare time!!!! :)

A few weeks ago (before I even found out that Voom was a option as a "full service" provider) I had settled on getting D* again--Mostly because Qwest said I could get all the same promotions, but save $5/mo on my bill.

The technician (really a sleezy salesperson-type in disguise) shows up to install, but doesn't have what I ordered, and wanted me to cancel my order through Qwest and reorder through him so he could "hook me up" with all the best promos (and so he could get the sale, I'm sure)... However, when I tried to get details of these better hookups, he kept backing off until it became obvious that he wasn't really offer anything better. Needless to say, I had him leave.

Then I found out from a coworker that Voom had all the regular channels too, so I called up an ordered. I called back only once (very proud of myself) during this whole mess to confirm my installation, which they did. I'll also say that although Voom Cust Svc has always been helpful and nice, I find it a little annoying that they have to "summarize" the entire call and then ask me if I'm satisfied. Maybe they have good reason to be doing it, but I hope it is short-lived. Of course, now that I got it, I hopefully won't be calling them much more. :)

And can I just say, the install was SUPERB!!!

The installer showed up, was very gung ho on Voom, didn't try to make me pay any extra, and made sure the installation was done. I jokingly said I wanted 90 on my signal strength, he got me to 91. He had to use an extra arm to reach a few extra inches out, but he did it. And that long OTA antennae is AWESOME! Several of the local OTA channels have a signal strength of 100, and everything else is in the mid to high 90s.

I also cannot confirm all these reports of poor PQ--even the SD channels look so good it hurts! I may be a little biased at this point, but I don't remember D* ever looking like this (even on my SDTVs)...

In addition, I found many of the "exclusive" Voom HD channels to be very entertaining. And the Channel Guide? Very organized, intuitive, and easy to use.

Just about my only wish is for VH1 Classic. Yeah, I now get OLN, which I never did with D*, but I want to have my cake and eat it too--I really want VH1C.

Frankly, even after all weekend, I don't think I found anything to watch on the movie channels, so I'm not sure the Va Va Voom package is worth the $40 extra per month to me (I'll still keep my 2 free months, though), but there is no doubt about it--I just became a die-hard Voomer!

Hey cohiba...
I talked to Synergy Comm. this morning re: my Saturday install. I asked about an installer named Tony. She has a couple of "Tony's" and asked if Tony was Afro American or Caucasian. I told I didn't know, that I'd gotten his name from someone with a recent install who liked his work. She asked if the install was in Surprise... was that you? Was Tony Afro American?
At this point, that "Tony" is who she has put down as my request.

VOOM rock's but can't keep a promise.

I' happy that you are happy I have been a voomer for 3 month's and I love the fact they have a lot hrs in HD, but the one thing that is making me worry is their lack of word to commitment. They offered to have 70 HD channels by the end of March and 200 SD channels, its the 17th today and we have only gotten 9 SD channels so far, when I call Cus.service they have no info at this time. It seems to me that no one has a concrete Idea of what's happening now all of sudden the PQ is poor I'm having pixel problems
and they are not aware of the problem.

I'm considering shuting voom off and just stay with basic cable until the intire system goes HD.

gordo87 said:
I' happy that you are happy I have been a voomer for 3 month's and I love the fact they have a lot hrs in HD, but the one thing that is making me worry is their lack of word to commitment. They offered to have 70 HD channels by the end of March and 200 SD channels, its the 17th today and we have only gotten 9 SD channels so far, when I call Cus.service they have no info at this time. It seems to me that no one has a concrete Idea of what's happening now all of sudden the PQ is poor I'm having pixel problems
and they are not aware of the problem.

I'm considering shuting voom off and just stay with basic cable until the intire system goes HD.

Ok first you start off saying you love the amount of HD, then you say they don't have enough HD, then you say the HD is crap now. Finally you say you'd rather get rid of voom and watch SD? That make absolutly no sense to me.

cohiba, I have a 110" screen and when the honeymoon is over, you will start to be dissappointed with the PQ on Voom. You will start seeing all kinds of annoying artifacts that you swore were not there before.

Gaze into my eyes.....you are getting sleepy, sleepy, you will listen to my every word....when I snap my fingers you will wake up and Voom will have the most fantastic picture you've ever seen. SNAP! Now go back to sleep, it was all a dream.

Enjoy it while you can.

Well, DarrellP, even though we have to suffer with only

DarrellP said:
cohiba, I have a 110" screen and when the honeymoon is over, you will start to be dissappointed with the PQ on Voom. You will start seeing all kinds of annoying artifacts that you swore were not there before.

Gaze into my eyes.....you are getting sleepy, sleepy, you will listen to my every word....when I snap my fingers you will wake up and Voom will have the most fantastic picture you've ever seen. SNAP! Now go back to sleep, it was all a dream.

Enjoy it while you can.

a 96" screen we still enjoy VOOM's HD channels. Yeah, I know we've been through this before but after checking out some of the other services-Comcast and Direct (haven't seen Dish in detail) we really don't have a choice and greatly enjoy the HD PQ on VOOM although it has been a bit of a trial with the new encoders. Oh yes, we've been VOOMing since Dec.'03 so have a bit of experience under our tightening belts-too much sitting...

enjoying HDTV under mostly sunny (rain promised!) Seattle skies, Gill

P.S.: You dry down in the Willamette?

Hey Gill, we got a few sprinkles but remain mostly dry. Nothing major to disrupt the Voom signal. I wish I could have your attitude about Voom's PQ, I guess I am too much of a video purist, I just can't stand to watch something and it's all mucked up with artifacts. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts