Find Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kaitlyn

Original poster
Aug 30, 2011
Quinlan, TX
Hi, does anyone one know of a site that allows to enter your Zip code and the it will give you a list of channels you can receive? I have been looking and looking so any help at all would be welcome :D Or maybe I have no idea what I'm doing!! :confused:
( no hack talk please)

Lyngsat is good. Haven't been on there for awhile, but you can seeye the footprints of the satellites. I'm pretty sure they don't have anything for zip codes through. Just look for the one that cover the US, or north america.m.

The list on this site is good too, but again, no zip code search.

go to www.sathint and check them out,but everything depends on the size of dish weather ku or c band,what type of receiver etc..you are at the right place for help in this hobby.When you post again list the equipment that you have and some body on this site will be able to help you more..welcome to the world of fta..WARNING...it's addictive

You can also check out TitanTv. That does have the zip code thing. But the C-band programming is for the old 4DTV.

Also can someone explain FTA to me, like where the signals come from and stuff? I am doing a report on FTA for school (I'm homeschooled) and I need some info for it. :D Thanks.

Kaitlyn, FTA means Free To Air, OTA means over the air. FTA channels are unencrypted signals from satellites received on a satellite dish with coverage based on what is called the satellites footprint (coverage area) while OTA are local channels which can be received free over an antenna. There are also encrypted satellite channels that require a subscription to receive the channel such as DishNetwork or DirecTV. The dish required to receive OTA is larger that those for Dish or Direct (we call the smaller size dishes pizza dishes around here). A Ku satellite channel requires a dish normally at least 33 inches in size while C-band requires a dish over 6 feet which we calls (BUDs - Big Ugly Dishes). The station that originates the signal determines whether it will be free for all with appropriate equipment to watch (FTA) or encrypted requiring a subscription to watch. Hope this helps somewhat. The FTA world is really exciting because there are several hundred channels in almost every major language to watch without a subscription. You may want to google 'Clark belt' (the belt the satellites line up on) for information on the satellites themselves and how it is possible for us to track a number of satellites with a dish, a simple motor and of course an appropriate receiver. Oh, and google LNB or LNBF also depending on how detailed your report is. That is the thingy on the end of the dish that receives the signal from the dish. The type of LNB determines whether you can receive Ku, Cband or subscription - the lnb for each looks the same but is indeed different.

You can also check out TitanTv. That does have the zip code thing. But the C-band programming is for the old 4DTV.
If I understand your reply, you only get listings for C Band channels on 4DTV?

Not true, sorry, but on Titantv you can customize your listings for anything you want ... IF it is carried by Titantv (a FREE service, add supported). OTA, KU and C Band are all on my custom list, and makes watching TV much more enjoyable than just scanning through the channels every night to see what's on at a given time. We can actually PLAN our tv watching and decide if it's TV or Netflix each night.

Photto

If I understand your reply, you only get listings for C Band channels on 4DTV?

Not true, sorry, but on Titantv you can customize your listings for anything you want ... IF it is carried by Titantv (a FREE service, add supported). OTA, KU and C Band are all on my custom list, and makes watching TV much more enjoyable than just scanning through the channels every night to see what's on at a given time. We can actually PLAN our tv watching and decide if it's TV or Netflix each night.

Photto
No need to apologize when you're right. I misunderstood the question & thought Kaitlyn was asking if there was a site that allows to enter your Zip code and the it will give you a list of channels you can receive for C-band. My mistake.
I use TitanTv for FTA stuff & H2H. I especially like when you can add channels that aren't listed, expand the page to show 6 hours worth & to be able to customize the satellite & transponder a channel is on.

thank you

Thanks so much you are all so helpful!!! :D It will be very easy to make a report now! Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :D I wish there was something I could do in return!! if there is please let me know. :)

Last edited:
Good job kaitlyn, you might also want to mention lyngsat.com as a reference as well- I know many fta scanners that use that site including myself.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts