finding 2nd satellite

Status
Please reply by conversation.

neil_kc1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
KANSAS CITY AREA
HELP! I am trying to set up my Fortec Star Lifetime Ultra. had no problem logging onto AMC 3 which is almost due south of my location. problem is can't find any other sats. using same dish i use with my SATWORK 3688 which works fine. no problem finding other sats here. questions: do i have to assign a position to AMC 3 FOR THE RECEIVER TO FIND IT AGAIN? And how can i take advantage of USALS when try to use it i get no signal? i have my lat. and long. numnbers but still no spike in signal? could it be i am a few degrees off with my mag. south setting? Any sugggestions appreciated.

After you find your true south bird go to USALS enter your lat and long "and be sure to hit REFERENCE POSITION, then all the other satellites will be found by USALS from this reference point, make sure to make all the other satellites USALS as their positioner setting. Good Luck : )

No need to assign a position number in USALS, that is only necessary when using DiSEqC 1.2

thanks peter, will give it a try. I wonder how far off of true south i can be if my satwork 3688 using the same dish set up seems to still be working fine. finding all sats, west of AMC 3?

Make sure that you locate the first satellite also using USALS. Many people mistakingly find the first sat by bumping the east or west button in DiSEqC 1.2 mode to compensate for the azimuth or elevation setting not being correct. When they turn on the USALS function they are dismayed to have the dish swing off of the satellite. In 1.2 mode the motor and dish adjustment could be off and still somewhat track the arc. In the USALS mode the settings are much more precise, but the ease of setup and finding elusive birds is rewarding!

neil, I just setup my Fortec ultra using AMC 3 (Indianapolis) and had the same problems as you did. I fixed it by first setting the USALS and then finding the AMC3. When I switched the dish to IA5, it found the signal with no probelm.

I read that you can only be 5 degrees off the true south sat for it to work.

thanks brian and axeem, will try it your way when the spring thaw comes, have had success with diseq 1.2 and am locating sats but it is a chore.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)