Finding a local installer?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ghorn56710

Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
Hudson County, New Jersey
Can someone recommend how I could find a local installer? :confused: I want to make sure they are reputable and not just pull a name from the phonebook. Are there websites that contain reviews of installers? Thanks in advance for your help!!:)

BTW, I live in Northen NJ (Weehawken area)

A couple of years ago DirecTV basically refused to install a new dish on my house. I won't go through all the circumstances other than to say that to get a good line of sight the dish had to be very high up and required standing on a very steep roof some 30 feet over our driveway. There was no other acceptable solution like a pole mount in the yard, etc. Anyhow, after a couple of days of calling satellite installation companies listed in the Yellow Pages, most who had gone out of business by the way, I finally called a home theater design and install company. They knew exactly what and who I needed and gave me the name and number of an installer who was quite used to working on high, difficult installs. He came over and installed a new dish in about an hour and that included helping me do some rewiring, etc., to accommodate the new location. This guy replaces light bulbs on TV and radio towers for a regular living and was fully equipped with climbing and safety gear. I was able to get DirecTV to trade off most of the self-incurred cost of the install through credits and discounts on equipment upgrades so it all worked out.

Can someone recommend how I could find a local installer? :confused: I want to make sure they are reputable and not just pull a name from the phonebook. Are there websites that contain reviews of installers? Thanks in advance for your help!!:)

What are your concerns with using the contract installers that Directv uses?

You are going to have to look locally,

Directv did a pretty good job of putting installation companies that built their system out of business..."make a deal with a Master Service Provider..." Experienced local installers are not often working for the Directv Home Service Providers (HSPs)

Local phone books are going to be your best bet...look under antenna installation, Home Theatre, electricians. Try Craig's list for your town. Ask neighbors and friends who did their work.

Why not take a shot at what Directv offers for FREE? You can either pay their new guy tech to come back for custom work.

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)