Finding Analog Satellites

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

JFOK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
Cape Cod - MA.
Hi All,

New member here.
Been a BUD owner since 1991.
When building my home theater I disconnected by BUD in order to move it there when I finished.
Now that I'm finished...3 years later, I'm trying to get my system up and running.
I had some initial problems with my satellite dish movement, but after rechecking the wires on the back of the receiver I solved that problem.
Unfortunately I had to do a master reset, so I lost my satellite "maps". I now have the originals that came with my 4DTV receiver in 1999. In spite of this I was able to find CSPAN on AMC-11 (C3) and NBC shopping channel on G5, but have been unable to find The Shepherds Chapel on Galaxy-16 (G4) or anything farther east. Whats the secret ? I slowly move the dish across the arc looking for any sign of a channel but see nothing.
I'm trying to locate these satellites in order to use my FTA receiver which is an old Fortec Star 786 NA, which I'll be replacing soon anyway.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

John

The issue is there isnt much on analog anymore. Everything has gone to digital

Here is the list of analog C-Band yet
91W
Classic Arts 18V
99W
Shepherds Chapel 16V
125W
ShopNBC 5H
131W
C-Span 7V
Weather 13V (scrambled)
133W
EWTN 11H
Inspiration 17H
135W
QVC 9V
HSN 10H

The best option would be to mainly use the DVB receiver to lock where the satellites are

Put an active transponder into the receiver for a specific satellite (like G4 as example). Then move the big dish with the analog receiver until you get a quality lock on the DVB (Fortec). Then save on the analog

Iceberg,

Thanks for your suggestions.
The Fortec Star (986 NA) I have, has only the satellites and transponders that were programmed with it years ago as I had to do a master reset.
It's a real search and rescue mission finding analog satellites now a days.
Will try what you suggested and let you know the results.

John

Hi,

Before I did a master reset of my Fortec Star 786 receiver I did get some FTA stuff. I reset it to clear out old channels from a few years ago that were no longer available.
After I reset it I am now unable to find anything. All I get is a signal varying around 65-75 and no reading on the quality meter.
I'm thinking my antenna settings may be off....these were deleted with the reset.
I have antenna 1 set to single, v/h, 22khz tone off, Diseqc set to 1 and 12v off. I remember this as being the correct settings for antenna 1.
Antenna 2 I have set to universal (I have a universal Ku LNB) v/h, 22khz tone is grayed out, Diseqc set to 2 and 12v is off. I'm not sure of these settings and I think this may be where the problem is.
Any ideas...very frustrated as of this moment.
BTW still unable to find any c-band analog except for the 2 satellites and transponders I noted in an earlier post.
Thanks in advance for any help.

John

Iceberg,

Just thought I'd update you in my search for the C Band analogs in order to start receiving FTA.
Using the method you suggested, I've been able to find:
AMC-11
Galaxy 13
Galaxy 14
Galaxy 18
Galaxy 23
Anik F1R
AMC-18
I still am unable to find Galaxy 16 (Shepherds Chapel) doing a scan east and locked on transponder 16.
I remember prior to doing a master reset of my 920 DSR a few weeks ago, I was able to get this and transponder 17 which showed Disney color bars. ? I have been using G4 as a map to lock it in with when I find it.
So far I've been able to save other satellites on my 920, trying to stay with the satellite maps tiles they originally corresponded with. I remember that a few tiles were reserved for Ku.
BTW I bought a GeoSat micro HD, but wont hook it up until I find more satellites with the old Fortec Star 786 NA. That way I figure I can just connect and search for transponders.
Any suggestions on getting Galaxy 16 would be greatly appreciated and thanks for your help so far.

John

Wow up north here i can get shepherds chapel with pie pan and a wire. That feed is booming. It used to drown out pbs-x analog when it was on 101w but they moved to the digital feed on 103w now for cband.

joshrr,

Yeah that's the odd thing. Prior to the 4dtv master reset I had no problem finding the Shepherd's Channel.
I wonder why its so hard to find now.

John

FaT Air,

Could the polarity have been reversed by a reset ?
I'm still able to get C-Span analog on AMC 11 and until last week when it went digital, I was also able to get the analog Shop NBC on Galaxy 14.

John

Don't know for sure, but some times it's the simplest things. May be only reversed on the one satellite?
Any suggestions on getting Galaxy 16
watch transponder 4000 H 26400 on the DVB receiver. If nothing, reverse polarity and try again.
If unable to lock onto any satellites from 99W and east, might be the BUD needs a tune up.

Hi All,

Here to report that I FINALLY was able to find the G4 analog transponders which includes the Shepherd's Chapel and Disney. Instead of watching the signal strength bar on the Fortec Star DVB receiver and before rotating the LNB 90 degrees, I slowly moved the dish watching the snowy screen until I spotted a slight "pattern" on the screen...a sign of analog life. I moved the dish back and forth slightly until this pattern seemed the strongest. Then I had the DSR 920 adjust the strength and skew and like magic, the Disney color bars appeared, nice and clear.
So thanks to Iceberg and others who offered help. It was much appreciated.
Now...I have just a few more satellites to find then I'll hook up my new GeosatPro Micro HD.

John

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts