FiOS and Tivo???

The 2 channels that I'm having problems with are 1753 and 1754, which are Zee and Sony Ent. and its only with the Tivo box. Not having problems with my Verizon Motorola digital box (not a DVR), even when I switch the Verizon box upstairs where the Tivo is usually connected. However, those channels were a little strange from the get go, on my Tivo only, as I've always had slight problems with FF and RW, but now its a significant video problem: the screen pauses then video resumes, and so forth, but the audio is continuous. I tuned to those channels and went to the DVR Diagnostics Screen and didn't see any errors for tuner 1 or tuner 2.

Fios also did something screwy that these channels were originally like preview channels for those that ordered TV Asia. The approach though when the channels were first released, I had to call in and ask for it, and had to make a couple of calls, and a high level tech eventually called me back to finally fix it, so that I'd get the channels. When it finally came, it looked like I was getting a downloaded video from youtube on a really slow PC each time I changed to those channels. PQ would clear and stablize of course after channel changing, but it was never totally normal with channel changing and basic things like FF and RW. I'd have to use 30-sec skip because regular FF would be choppy.

Recently, Verizon was of no help. My cable cards were deemed to be fine and because picture was ok on the Verizon box, they couldn't offer much. I haven't called TiVo yet on the situation as I'm not sure what they'd offer, other than the same taking out and reseating the cable cards. However, I placed an order for an attenuator bag and should be receiving it, and playing around with it tomorrow following any instructions I find from tivocommunity, just hoping to get things back to the way they were a month ago.

Last edited:
The 2 channels that I'm having problems with are 1753 and 1754, which are Zee and Sony Ent. and its only with the Tivo box. Not having problems with my Verizon Motorola digital box (not a DVR), even when I switch the Verizon box upstairs where the Tivo is usually connected. However, those channels were a little strange from the get go, on my Tivo only, as I've always had slight problems with FF and RW, but now its a significant video problem: the screen pauses then video resumes, and so forth, but the audio is continuous. I tuned to those channels and went to the DVR Diagnostics Screen and didn't see any errors for tuner 1 or tuner 2.

Fios also did something screwy that these channels were originally like preview channels for those that ordered TV Asia. The approach though when the channels were first released, I had to call in and ask for it, and had to make a couple of calls, and a high level tech eventually called me back to finally fix it, so that I'd get the channels. When it finally came, it looked like I was getting a downloaded video from youtube on a really slow PC each time I changed to those channels. PQ would clear and stablize of course after channel changing, but it was never totally normal with channel changing and basic things like FF and RW. I'd have to use 30-sec skip because regular FF would be choppy.

Recently, Verizon was of no help. My cable cards were deemed to be fine and because picture was ok on the Verizon box, they couldn't offer much. I haven't called TiVo yet on the situation as I'm not sure what they'd offer, other than the same taking out and reseating the cable cards. However, I placed an order for an attenuator bag and should be receiving it, and playing around with it tomorrow following any instructions I find from tivocommunity, just hoping to get things back to the way they were a month ago.

Tivo has issued a software update 11.0d I know for the TivoHD units that solves the attenuation problem. My SD channels on my TivoHD were unwatchable before that software update, now they are solid. Have you asked here? TiVo Community
Its full of Tivo reps and cable and verizon people.

Are you using a native or hybrid output mode? If so, try a fixed 720p or fixed 1080i mode.

It isn't common, but there may be some channels distributed by smaller content providers with commercials inserted in a different resolution. Or the channel itself could use one resolution and Verizon could be inserting commercials in another resolution. For example, if the cable program itself is 528x480 and the commercials are inserted as 704x480, then that may cause problems for FFW/REW in native or hybrid output modes.

If you have a Windows PC, you might download VideoRedo and open one of these recordings in that program. In VideoRedo, select Tools -> Program Info. Then find an inserted commercial and repeat to see if there is a difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts