FIOS install questions- HELP!

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
I have an install sked for 2/25. I'll be getting voice and internet 20/5.

2 Question Groups:

1. I believe the ONT will be installed outside next to the electric meter, where the current phone line comes in. Close to where the gas line comes in. The "wireless router" (Acteck?) will be installed inside. The question is, just where the inside install would/should be. The ONT will be on a wall of the built in garage. This garage has one vent, so it never freezes, but the temps swing pretty much. The other side of the garage is the house laundry room, inside of which is where I have the current cable modem, router, 24 port switch and patch panel. ONT wall to patch panel is about 26'. I plan to run cable in the ceiling between the two points.

-How is the ONT connected to the wireless router? Coax? RJ-45? Something else? Choice of methods (which is best?)?
-There will be a UPS for the FIOS router. Does the ONT need power also?
-Will they want to install on the inside of the wall where the ONT is, or is 26 or so feet away ok (better wireless coverage & temp control)?

2. The fiber run from the street to the expected ONT location will likely run thru a fence gate and under a brick patio. Loosely placed bricks, no big deal, about 15' wide. I have been told the installers for the buried fiber will show up about 2 days in advance, when I'm not home, to make the run to the house.
-Will the installers just remove and replace the bricks as they run the fiber under it?
-Will they expect me to remove the bricks and leave a clear path to the wall for burying fiber to the ONT?
-An option might be for me to run a conduit from near that wall under an adjoining shed over the bricks. Good/bad idea?

Yes, I'll be calling the local office in an attempt to get these answers, but so far everyone I've spoken with has pulled a SGT Schultz on me ("I know Nothing").

Many thanks for any assistance you can provide. With other commitments, I'm running out of time to prepare for this install.

The actiontec is a combination computer router/NIM unit - it's used to feed your VOD and guide data, as well as act as a router for your computer. Where it gets installed - that depends. If you have a special location for it, let the installer know and I'm sure he'll try to accomodate you. Mine is right next to the computer. It's basically just a slightly larger than average router, so it doesn't need to be anyplace near the ONT. To answer some of your questions:

1) Your ONT is hooked to your actiontec in one of two ways. Either via ethernet (cat5) or via MoCA (coax). The latter is the standard for installs. If you already have cat5 run, you can request that they go with ethernet. Some people prefer that because they use their own routers as a bridge with the actiontec, and if they run coax, you can't just use an off-the-shelf router. Mine is hooked with ethernet cable (cat5).

In terms of hook-up, the router, because it does integrate with your TV service (again, your VOD, guide data, and widgets come in over your IP feed, as well as any multi-room feeds - if you get the home media dvr), there has to be a connection between the actiontec and your TV service. This is done with a coax. If they run ethernet for your IP service (like they with mine), they'll run:

- cat5 from ONT to actiontec
- coax from ONT to cable splitter (for TV service)
- coax from actiontec to cable splitter
- coax from cable splitter to TVs

That coax from the actiontec to the splitter makes that IP connection to your TV service. If they run MoCA for your internet service, then the only difference in terms of hook up is that they don't run cat5 from the ONT to the actiontec. In that case the actiontec is just another terminal off your splitter:

- coax from ONT to cable splitter
- coax from cable splitter to TVs
- coax from cable splitter to actiontec

On to your next questions - no they don't provider a UPS for your actiontec. Yes, your ONT does need to be powered. They'll run a power cable from the ONT into your house to the nearest outlet. They tell you that you need an outlet very close to the ONT - you don't. I think it has to be within 100' of the ONT. My power line is probably 30' long - the ONT is on the back of my house - the nearest outlet is on the inside front wall of my house. They just ran the power cable into my crawlspace, out into my laundry room, around my water heater and up to the front wall.

They'll provide you with a power supply and a battery backup unit. I've seen combination units being used these days. The BBU will supply you with 7 - 8 hours of phone service should you lose power.

As for clearing the way for the fiber, don't worry about it. They'll run it under your patio - I've seen them go under driveways and sidewalks. Mine is aerial, so I didn't have that issue - but I know lots of people who had it installed underground. Apparently they have a machine that digs horizontally under the ground to lay the fiber. You also don't need to run conduit, unless you want to. The fiber will already be housed in a conduit.

Many thanks.

I'll fish a cat5e and a coax line from my current router to the ONT area. If I ever go with FIOS video service, I'll need to run a coax from the router area up into the attic and across, tying in where the satellite dishes currently are.

If the actiontec is the MI424, I see it has a built in hardware firewall. I'll just connect it directly to my switch and replace the current LinkSYS router (and the cable modem). Do you foresee any problem or complication doing that?

I understand they'll connect "one computer." The rep wasn't sure if that meant one hard wired and the wireless setup also, or just one or the other. And nothing about a home network (just "you can plug FOUR computers into it!"). I "assume" they'll leave enough information behind that I can set up WPA2 or some such, replacing whatever their default is. And that simply plugging in the actiontec to my network will work. I have more TVs and boxes of various descriptions on that network than computers.

I've run a small government IT shop, a couple of commercial networks and taught CS. But my experience and training is all hard wired. My only wireless experience is using a laptop at Panera Bread. :p So this will be educational for me.

I didn't realize that you were only getting internet service. Yeah, then I'd definitely recommend prerunning cat5, and asking the installer to hook it up as ethernet. That way if you hate the actiontec, you can just shelve it, waiting for the time that you go with video service, if you so desire, and go with your router of choice. If you go MoCA, you're stuck with having to use the actiontec.

Yeah, the actiontec has 4 ports on it. As for hooking up more than one computer, I believe the installation is for actually running the wire to hook it up. If you want to hardwire in a second computer (them running the wire), it will cost you. To hook up an additional computer wirelessly - that they shouldn't charge you for (I know others who've had that done). It's also really easy to do yourself. You'll just need the IP address for the router, along with the admin user ID and password, so you can get the encryption key.

Yeah, the router has a built-in firewall too, and it's automatically set to be encrypted by default.

I've heard different accounts on the speed you get by wirelessly hooking up to the actiontec, though. Although, before my in-laws got hooked up, they brought their laptop over here, and we hooked up wirelessly. I had their 10/2 service at the time, and I ran a speed test on the wireless connection. I got over 9.5Meg down on their computer. Granted, I was all of 15 feet from the router at the time, but still I was impressed.

Sounds like the same set up with every other router.

Voice and internet. I'll play around with the wireless, but I think I'll probably leave it off for the most part. I'm pretty well hard wired. I guess if I sit outside with a laptop, it'd come in handy. Hard wiring is fast, simple, secure.

I'll just have to learn how to set up PW & security on wireless devices to "talk" to the actiontec with encryption.

Again, many thanks for helping me out. And I guess I'll just leave the bricks for them to deal with.

Navychop,

If you have a Linksys and are happy with it, keep it. Just run cat 5 from it to the location of where the ONT might go. Leave the Actiontec in the box and keep it in a safe place, in case you ever get FIOS TV. You can bridge the Actiontec with the Linksys, if you get FIOS TV. I did that with my WRT54G and all has been well. The Actiontec has crappy wireless, so it's not even worth trying to have it for that purpose. And the Actiontec is not user friendly, esp if you have a lot of computers on your network. Not to mention the Actiontec is on the way out, but only out West are they installing FIOS with the new Westell routers. No reports out our way that Verizon is doing installs with the Westell yet. Best of luck on your install later this month, but to save yourself a headache, leave the actiontec in the box & continue to use your linksys.

I totally agree with cforrest. If you're happy with the linksys, keep that one. Just store the actiontec somewhere, in case you do decide to go with video service. If you prerun the cat5, then you can request that they install you as ethernet.

I totally agree with cforrest. If you're happy with the linksys, keep that one. Just store the actiontec somewhere, in case you do decide to go with video service. If you prerun the cat5, then you can request that they install you as ethernet.
+2. I turned off wireless on the ActionTec and used it to connect one hardwired desktop and my Linksys router. All the wireless laptops, PS3s and Tivo go through the Linksys. I have no complaints.

Navy, you may want to consider FiOS TV and a Tivo HD DVR...it's pretty good combo and the FiOS HD can't be beat (quantity and quality - 106 HD channels in my guide and no PPVs). I still keep a FiOS DVR in the bedroom and a single-tuner (CableCard) Sony HD DVR in the home theater room. I would love to see EchoStar/Verizon team up on this one.

WOW. Thanks for all the good word. I'll take your advice, and just plug the ONT into the LinkSYS. It should work fine. I'll stash the actiontec box somewhere. Then, if I decide to go with wireless, I'll just add one to the net, or replace the LinkSYS with something good. That should make the install go quickly. :p

I've got close to 2 years to consider FIOS TV before my contract runs out. I'm very happy with Dish and the ViP722 DVRs. However, money talks. If down the road I could get an HD DVR or two that even approaches the ViP722, and save something like $50 per month, I think I'd have to go that route. I doubt Tivo will be in business by then. An awful lot of companies are going under right now, and a whole lot more expected later this year. I just heard today that Krispy Kreme's stock is down 50% and they may be forced into bankruptcy! Sheesh- if a great donut place can't make it, we're in even worse shape than I ever imagined.

I have had FIOS 3 years rock solid internet .They did a great job hooking it up.They dug the yard up about 300ft and I thought they did not even show up they did such a good job.The ont is outside next to the elec meter the battery backup is in the basement just make sure they have an outlet to plug in the powerpack.They ran cat5 to my basemet computer with a actiontec router 20/5 internet. I ran a cat 5 from the actiontec to the 1 floor to a D-link router I use for my 622 and wireless .The actiontec is ok for wireless but the D-link does the outside better.I have FIOS TV and need the actiontec router for vod and the guide.Good luck with the install .

WOW. Thanks for all the good word. I'll take your advice, and just plug the ONT into the LinkSYS. It should work fine. I'll stash the actiontec box somewhere. Then, if I decide to go with wireless, I'll just add one to the net, or replace the LinkSYS with something good. That should make the install go quickly. :p

I've got close to 2 years to consider FIOS TV before my contract runs out. I'm very happy with Dish and the ViP722 DVRs. However, money talks. If down the road I could get an HD DVR or two that even approaches the ViP722, and save something like $50 per month, I think I'd have to go that route. I doubt Tivo will be in business by then. An awful lot of companies are going under right now, and a whole lot more expected later this year. I just heard today that Krispy Kreme's stock is down 50% and they may be forced into bankruptcy! Sheesh- if a great donut place can't make it, we're in even worse shape than I ever imagined.

The motorola dvr's will never be as good as the 722.

So which wireless router do you guys recommend? I've looked at several on Amazon, and they all seem to have bad reviews. Often they have as many 1 stars reviews as 5 star reviews.

Any help here- what to consider, what to avoid?

I broke down and ordered a D-Link 4500. Oddly, it won't be here until after the first week in March, after the FIOS install.

This weekend, I run the cat 5e & coax to the ONT spot.

Good luck, I would have gone with a Linksys WRT54GL. In any event, good luck with the install and router once it arrives. Look forward to updates and good news.

a power supply line will have to be run from the indoor box thats the power supply, to the ONT. I pre wired but didnt run the power line so the installer had too.

My experience with FIOIS INTERNET has been wonderful however fios phone:(

Verizon fails to respond to network issues.

They replaced my ONT 3 TIMES, and i had to call every day for 3 weeks and finally called the verizon presidents office to get rid of a intermittent buzz from a noisey router.

they argued it couldnt be their network but it was, I TRIED to cancel they said oh sir your under a 2 year contract.

my contract runs out in october, and i have decided to dump fios at that time.

I am STILL PISSED and will now avoid all long term contracts on everything.

it gives the companies a free pass on sucky service

Oh and when my backup battery failed early in the fios box, they didnt even know there was a silence button on the unit to quiet the alarm........

then it took over a week to get a new battery........

verizon isnt ready for prime time.

my business line is still copper, they will have to pry it out of my dying hands to replace it with fibre..........

they always blame the inside wiring even after the first tech reported he reproduced problem with my home totally disconnected

Bob, I personally know dozens of people with FiOS double and triple play services both here and back in Virginia and not one of them is anything anything less than satisfied with their FiOS service. I've had FiOS for more than 10 months now and, other than initial ordering/billing problems, the service and support has been outstanding...all three services just plain work 24/7. I can only assume you are in a very poorly managed Verizon territory.

The motorola dvr's will never be as good as the 722.
That is a true statement, but the Moto is not bad so we keep one in the bedroom. We've gotten used to the Tivo and we really don't miss the 622 much these day...except, my little one wants new videos on her Pocketdish. I really miss how easy it was to offload video to the Pocketdish when we were running errands, etc.

Anyway, does anyone know of Tivo is planning anything similar (and easy to use/USB offloading/not time consuming) as the Pocketdish...perhaps Tivo to Archos?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)