Firefox breaks cookie recall

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
I think this is what the problem is but not sure.

I have recently upgraded to the latest version of FireFox ( ver 3.0.6) and now everythime I log into any forum, I have to re-enter my login info. IE still remembers but firefox doesn't. It affects all forums.

Does anyone else have any comment on this bug?

I too am using this version but am not experiencing this issue. Have you checked (inside Firefox):

1. Cookie handling? TOOLS > OPTIONS > PRIVACY > COOKIES

2. Not flushing all your private data upon exit? TOOLS > OPTIONS > PRIVACY > PRIVACY SETUP

3. Using an additional cookie or privacy manager? (external from Firefox)

Yes, I checked all three and all are properly set up. This all started after the last update that Firefox automatically did. My IE still works fine but I don't like IE's lack of a good integrated spell checker.

In addition, I have FF loaded on 4 computers and all four are doing the same thing!

I can close a tab and leave the main program open and it still requires a re login.

Don:

I had a similar problem with just one forum -- NotebookReview's forum.

I haven't had problems with any other forum, and I participate in a number of them with FF 3.0.5 or 3.0.6.

Cheers,

No issues here with Firefox. I did have this issue one time before and had to delete the cookies for the website that was having the issue.

I have recently upgraded to the latest version of FireFox ( ver 3.0.6) and now everythime I log into any forum, I have to re-enter my login info. IE still remembers but firefox doesn't. It affects all forums.

I upgraded yesterday and I don't have this problem.
I just checked.

OK, I think I might have a clue on this now.

First question is to ask yourselves who are not having any issues, Do you use a spy tracking software and remove spyware automatically with each launch of Firefox. I do and discovered that FireFox now loads a cookie that reports back to them your web surfing activity. I am trying to disable it, meaning let Firefox spy on all my surfing activity and allow them to sell that info or do whatever they wish with it. I have isolated it to a specific cookie now and studying how to allow that cookie to do its thing.

OK, I went into the exceptions and listed Firefox's spyware as an exception and now all forums remember my login info.

I originally set this spyware detector up because I was getting so many e-mails everytime I would add a new website to check stuff out. For the past couple months it was fine but the latest Firefox now apparently needs this spyware to work right. I'll have to decide if I want them to continue monitoring my web surfing activity. As they say nothing's free and that goes for FF too. :(

Well, enabling that cookie has allowed all forum log ins to work so far all afternoon.

I erased the ones that were showing up as flagged so I'll have to dig but I want to get you the file name of it and let you give your opinion.

OK, I should know better but I took a chance and now today I pay the price.
The XP Police malware was installed on my system and trook over. I was able to keep it from auto launching at reboot by deleting the registry entry for it, and deleting the files on the hard drive using dos access. Lots of work to remove this thing. Now I just have to figure out how to get my task manager back which it has trashed. BTW- this one disabled my antivirus software too.

I'm having the same issues.

I got the task manager working again by addressing the binary bit in the registry. The malware had set the bit to 1 for disable task manager. setting it back to 0 worked.

Meanwhile, I am getting hit hard with dangerous tracking cookies using Firefox. IE7 seems free from these malicious attacks. It looks like these evil crooks are focusing their attention on Firefox now. Not that I can do anything about it if true but wouldn't it be a scream if these attacks were actually being caused by MS? Just a thought.

I now have both AVG and PCTools scanning for tracking cookies on this computer.

Future strategy- I'm seriously considering putting my MAC to use just for internet browsing and removing this office computer from any internet surfing. I really need this machine for accounting and other serious work. From what I have heard, while not 100% immune, Macs are far less trouble WRT attacks. Any thoughts on this strategy?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts