First Combo HD DVD drive and Blue Ray!

stck4evr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
chicago
Looks like LG is annoucing first HD DVD and Blue Ray player at CES 2007.
(just saw a report on local news WGN in Chicago...)
$1200, available in February 2007, not a breakthrough price,
you might as well buy 2 players...

Last edited:
Looks like LG is annoucing first HD DVD and Blue Ray player at CES 2007.
(just saw a report on local news WGN in Chicago...)
$1200, available in February 2007, not a breakthrough price,
you might as well buy 2 players...
Why? so you can take up 2 HDMI slots?

The player has been posted here before, but this is the first I've seen of the price. $1200 :(

Still ungood. $400, buy. $500, think about, probably buy. $600, think long and hard, maybe buy. Period.

We'll see where prices are near year end. If I can wait (I'm not big on movies anyway).

Originally Posted by vurbano
Why? so you can take up 2 HDMI slots?
--------------------------------------------------
You get get a audio receiver that switches HDMI...
2 players make sense - I was thinking more XBOX+HD DVD drive
and playstation3 = $1200

This player is a BluRay player first and a HD-DVD player second. It will not support any of the interactive extensions for HD-DVD but will support all BluRay interactive extensions. When I get home I will post the news release from LG.

This player is a BluRay player first and a HD-DVD player second. It will not support any of the interactive extensions for HD-DVD but will support all BluRay interactive extensions. When I get home I will post the news release from LG.

Um, then it won't play like 99% of the HD-DVD library. All of the major studio titles used the advanced interactive menus and many of Warner's discs feature IME, Universal U-Control, etc.

So are you home yet? ;-)

I have their press release right here: http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/news/2007/01/lg_electronics.php

... and I can't quite figure out what you mean in your comment. Do you mean because it has "Blue" in the name? Please clarify your statement.

Perhaps you referring to the following bit from the release?
"...the player incorporates interactive functions based on BD-Java, which allows advanced menus and functions to be displayed over the video of Blu-ray discs ... the same level of advanced menu interactivity is not available while playing HD DVD discs..."

I think everyone here knows HD DVD doesn't have BD-Java. And it doesn't say that HD DVD play-back is WITHOUT interactivity, just that "the same level ... is not available", and I'm not even clear why it says that because most of the reading I've done indicates that iHD is superior to BD-J. Now you tell me where it says it "will not support any of the interactive extensions for HD-DVD" (your words)!

Now pay attention, because this is important: Every player that is permitted to use the "HD DVD" name, or in other words be called an "HD DVD Player" MUST support iHD. It is required by the standard.

Note: Just for the record, I own both formats and enjoy them equally. It just gets under my skin when people make these statements without foundation.

Again JoeSp, I invite you to clarify and back up your statement.

- Shane Sturgeon

Last edited:
I started a new thread because I thought that the information was very important.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts