First Look: The New Weather Channel Interactive

southwinds

It was supposed to go live on Wednesday. However it has been delayed a few days as some receivers need a software update to make this new content work correctly on their receivers.[/QUsubmit to All I want to know is when the DISH network will show the local weather exactly, repeat, exactly, like the cable networks do. Simple question which requires a simple answer. When I changed from cable to DISH the lyin' SOB's that sold me this system told me that I could get two of my local stations (CBS & NBC) now (true) and in six to eight weeks I could get my local ABC channel. (All for an additional charge of course). That was two years ago. When will I get the LOCAL weather report on the "eights"? The local cable company is offering me a very good deal and I'm thing very seriously about switching back. Why would DISH let something like this happen??

I think Dish Network themselve's does not even know whats going to happen a week or two from now (when it comes to feature upgrades) let alone a year or two from now.

All I want to know is when the DISH network will show the local weather exactly, repeat, exactly, like the cable networks do. Simple question which requires a simple answer.
Simple answer - never.

The cable version of "local on the 8's" requires a dedicated computer at the cable headend to decode the data stream:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IntelliStar

I don't expect that consumer level Dish DVRs will ever have the horsepower to do this. If you want the cable version of the "local on the 8's", go back to cable.

Last edited:
Simple answer - never.
Tell that to the beta testers and the Dish people who've actually seen and used the feature. No one knows why they didn't roll this out when they planned but I suspect with the number of different receiver models they're dealing with, it may be a case where it doesn't work (yet) on all of them. Until it does, they're holding off. I'm sure they want to make an "announcement" of this feature when they get it working too. As minor as "local weather" and "on the 8s" sounds, it is a reason many cable customers won't switch to satellite. It also is a big plus that E* will have over D*.

Actually, it shouldn't require much horsepower at all. Dish may send out data streams for some percentage of the 30,000+ zip codes. Simple text data that each individual STB receives. Then, just like choosing which channels you are subscribed to, the boxes display the appropriate data stream in a preformatted overlay. Add on 12 national maps and a few other bits of info. Same data, changing only every 10 minutes or so. It shouldn't even require much bandwidth. Now each receiver model will have it's own memory limits and quirks, and that may take a bit of doing, especially if they want a consistent look across all models.

Tell that to the beta testers and the Dish people who've actually seen and used the feature. No one knows why they didn't roll this out when they planned but I suspect with the number of different receiver models they're dealing with, it may be a case where it doesn't work (yet) on all of them. Until it does, they're holding off. I'm sure they want to make an "announcement" of this feature when they get it working too. As minor as "local weather" and "on the 8s" sounds, it is a reason many cable customers won't switch to satellite. It also is a big plus that E* will have over D*.
Hall, I'm sure that we will some interactive form of "Weather on the 8's" in the near future. After all, Dish promised we would get it. :rolleyes:

What I was responding to was Southwinds question as to when Dish would have "Weather on the 8's" "exactly, repeat, exactly" like on cable. Though Dish's version may be perfectly fine (and in some ways better) than the cable version, it will apparently not be the same thing.

I guess that depends upon your cable company. I've been less than impressed with cable.

No it will not be the same thing, but it will be close. The biggest difference being the viewer must take action if they want to see their weather on the 8's.

With cable its just fed to you.

I don't see it coming this week, although it is possible we may see a new Disney Interactive package soon.

Need to make a forum to move the lost Dish announcements where all well intentioned stickies go when dish says they are going to do something, make something, support something... but then never do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts