First Reactions to OS X Mountain Lion 10.8

Installing Mountain Lion now. During the setup a pop up ask, "Setup Assistant wants to use your confidential information stored in "InternetAccounts Access Group" in your keychain." Then it ask to Always Allow, Deny, or Allow. First, what in the heck is this? Second, which option should I choose?

This is so you can access the passwords and such on your Mac, or at least some of them. I always use 'always allow' and have never had a problem.

I still see nothing different between lion and mountain lion. Perhaps instead of a different species it should have been a different subspecies, such as cape lion? Instead of 10.8 it should be 10.7.5. The only difference I noticed is a much much much slower boot-up and it drains the battery quicker.

I don't use a Mac laptop, so I can't comment on the battery drain.

Boot times on my iMac seem quicker, although it does seem to take longer between nothing on the screen and something finally showing up, the overall boot time is fast enough. The only reason I even notice it at all is that because VMWare isn't compatible, I did a BootCamp install of W7 and have rebooted a few times playing around with that. Normally my computer is never turned off or even logged off.

There are some minor things that I noticed :

In the mail client, if I respond to an email message and don't delete the original received one, it shows the thread with the sent response as well as the original. Kind of a nice thing to have if I am in a conversation with a tech support person somewhere as I can see both what they sent me and what I sent them in the same window.

Overall speed is improved quite a bit, especially in Safari!

But yeah, they could have had this as just another update to Lion and I wouldn't have argued about that either. But I guess Apple needed another $20! :)

I still see nothing different between lion and mountain lion. Perhaps instead of a different species it should have been a different subspecies, such as cape lion? Instead of 10.8 it should be 10.7.5. The only difference I noticed is a much much much slower boot-up and it drains the battery quicker.

I have heard zero complaints about battery drain other than this report. And since I "boot" OSX about once every couple weeks, I have not noticed any issues there either.

But I disagree that it is as minor or insignificant as you suggest. There are more than 200 changes to the OS, and several of them are quite valuable. Why would we expect the operating system to be a fundamentally different experience from 10.7 to 10.8? Its not like going from OS9 to OX10. There are complaints in the tech blogosphere of folks wanting to see that radical change, but I'd argue that OSX, with its increasing synchronicity with iOS has made itself a stronger OS.

AirPlay alone is worth the $20, but add everything else, and an excellent OS has only gotten better. Yes, not forcing the user to make radical changes, but I don't want or need radical changes.

Why would we expect the operating system to be a fundamentally different experience from 10.7 to 10.8? Its not like going from OS9 to OX10. There are complaints in the tech blogosphere of folks wanting to see that radical change, but I'd argue that OSX, with its increasing synchronicity with iOS has made itself a stronger OS.
Maybe if the "hype" about each minor OS X update would go away, people wouldn't expect more drastic or substantial changes. Anyone who has dealt with computers for anytime knows you don't get real "OS" upgrades on a yearly basis.

Maybe if the "hype" about each minor OS X update would go away, people wouldn't expect more drastic or substantial changes. Anyone who has dealt with computers for anytime knows you don't get real "OS" upgrades on a yearly basis.

Agreed.

The battery drain issue with ML is being heavily discussed at Engadget or Gizmodo with 40% of the people saying that it's eating their battery.

To me this update was more of a service pack then an os upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I have heard zero complaints about battery drain other than this report. And since I "boot" OSX about once every couple weeks, I have not noticed any issues there either.

But I disagree that it is as minor or insignificant as you suggest. There are more than 200 changes to the OS, and several of them are quite valuable. Why would we expect the operating system to be a fundamentally different experience from 10.7 to 10.8? Its not like going from OS9 to OX10. There are complaints in the tech blogosphere of folks wanting to see that radical change, but I'd argue that OSX, with its increasing synchronicity with iOS has made itself a stronger OS.

AirPlay alone is worth the $20, but add everything else, and an excellent OS has only gotten better. Yes, not forcing the user to make radical changes, but I don't want or need radical changes.
Battery drain, just googling it will get you to lots of news about this issue.

As far as the 200 new features go. I too read that on their website. Look at what most of these features actual are. Most are just upgrades or tweaks to features that already exist. The few new things they list are not specific to the OS, but are add-on apps or features to other programs (such as Safari) which has nothing to do with the OS.

Here's something interesting.

Many of Apple's apps will save to iCloud. Those files are also save on your Mac too in your local library -> Mobile Documents folder. So you have a synced file on your local Mac, in the cloud, and available for your iOS device.

Once a file is saved in the Cloud, then the next time you run the associated app and click file->open, you get a dialogue window showing you both the iCloud and local files. You can even save TextEdit files in the cloud and get to them from other Macs from the cloud. You can't see them from an iOS device because there is no app for that.

But here's a trick! Open textedit as an app IOW, don't select a document. It will open with the dialogue I told you about. Now you can drag 'n drop ANY file into that 'sandbox' in iCloud! Of course, if textedit can't use it, it is just an offline storage area.

So far I've tested with Pages, Numbers, TextEdit and Preview. All work just that slick!

I had previously talked about the Mobile Documents folder because I couldn't find out any way to stuff files there except manually. But if you save your files to iCloud, then they are also in that directory too. And any time you edit them, they will sync across all your Apple products that have iCloud support.

One other thing I found out was that my current iCloud has 25Gb of free storage! I know that Apple gave it to us that came from MobileMe, but it was supposed to expire at the end of June 2012. While I'm glad it is there, I'm afraid to use that extra storage.

Battery drain, just googling it will get you to lots of news about this issue.

As far as the 200 new features go. I too read that on their website. Look at what most of these features actual are. Most are just upgrades or tweaks to features that already exist. The few new things they list are not specific to the OS, but are add-on apps or features to other programs (such as Safari) which has nothing to do with the OS.

The core Apple apps have been upgraded and enhanced, and iCloud more tightly integrated. It is .X upgrade, but certainly more than just a .x.x upgrade. Haven't experienced battery drain, but haven't been looking for it either.

I think David Pogue's review of its strengths, as well as Ars Technica, do a great job capturing the essence of the enhancements. I'd argue its worth $20.

Here's something interesting.

Many of Apple's apps will save to iCloud. Those files are also save on your Mac too in your local library -> Mobile Documents folder. So you have a synced file on your local Mac, in the cloud, and available for your iOS device.

Once a file is saved in the Cloud, then the next time you run the associated app and click file->open, you get a dialogue window showing you both the iCloud and local files. You can even save TextEdit files in the cloud and get to them from other Macs from the cloud. You can't see them from an iOS device because there is no app for that.

But here's a trick! Open textedit as an app IOW, don't select a document. It will open with the dialogue I told you about. Now you can drag 'n drop ANY file into that 'sandbox' in iCloud! Of course, if textedit can't use it, it is just an offline storage area.

So far I've tested with Pages, Numbers, TextEdit and Preview. All work just that slick!

I had previously talked about the Mobile Documents folder because I couldn't find out any way to stuff files there except manually. But if you save your files to iCloud, then they are also in that directory too. And any time you edit them, they will sync across all your Apple products that have iCloud support.

One other thing I found out was that my current iCloud has 25Gb of free storage! I know that Apple gave it to us that came from MobileMe, but it was supposed to expire at the end of June 2012. While I'm glad it is there, I'm afraid to use that extra storage.

I have created an iCloud storage alias, just by opening Finder, GO-option-Library, and aliasing Mobile Documents. It is now on my Desktop and in my favorites. And easy way to store stuff in iCloud, and have easy access to every document stored by any app in iCloud.

Here is an example -- notice the iCloud favorite on the left, and then I created a folder which I put a space in front of to make it first in the list for document storage.
Screen Shot 2012-08-04 at 2.49.25 PM.png

I could be wrong - as it happens occasionally - but I THINK that the App Store is tied to the hardware you are running it from - so if you were not eligible to purchase/install something, it won't let you. But again, just a guess.

I tried to order it from the App Store,but it said that Mountain Lion wasn't compatible with my computer. Oh well,Lion works just fine for me & it'll be a good while before I buy a new Mac computer,my present "ancient" Mac is working just fine.

I run an app called Mini-usage, which shows percent of CPU usage at all times in my top tray. Since switching to ML, I have noticed that it often runs at a higher number than it did before, and that some apps - Numbers being one - cause the fan on my Air to kick on in ways that never occurred under Lion. And Numbers cranks the CPU usage more than I would expect given the low levels I use it.

I attribute some to the Air being limited to a measly 4GB of ram, and need to test out the same usage with my 8GB mbp.

Tests show Mountain Lion may indeed degrade battery life | Ars Technica

Tests show Mountain Lion may indeed degrade battery life

Our testing shows noticeable decrease in battery life on the Retina MacBook Pro.

by Chris Foresman - Aug 7 2012, 4:30pm PDT

macbook_pro_battery-640x363.jpg

Some bit of software within Mountain Lion indeed appears to noticeably reduce battery life for Apple's portable Macs. Following on numerous reports lodged in Apple's support forums, we did some additional testing using our Retina MacBook Pro review unit, which seemed to lose approximately 38 percent of its previous 8-hour runtime after installing Mountain Lion. Apple support technicians are continuing to gather evidence from users reporting problems, though at least one user has been told that an update from the Mac App Store should address the issue.

I guess Apple's goal of making OS X more like iOS is complete! Remember when iOS 5 came out and people noticed the battery on their iPhone 4 was barely lasting a day?

We now have parity.

I have not seen too much run time degradation with my Air, but I don't tend to run it for hours and hours.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)