First Reactions to OS X Mountain Lion 10.8

The battery drain that Apple denies exists ? :D Hehe, in this case, I've not kept up, but don't they usually deny it first, then blame someone else ? ;)

In my experience - going back to the first generation windows ipods (which were incredibly buggy), they would deny, deny, deny any and all problems, and then one day silently push out a fix. :)

But I have no idea what is in the release notes for 10.8.1.

Downloading Mountain Lion now. Will I be able to just copy the installer to my wife's Mac before I install it on mine? I'd have to have to download it on her Mac. It's taking about an hour to download.

Downloading Mountain Lion now. Will I be able to just copy the installer to my wife's Mac before I install it on mine? I'd have to have to download it on her Mac. It's taking about an hour to download.

Yes, copy it to an external drive. It will go away when you install it.

Wow! I have noticed right off the bat that the dock is different as well as the active program notification. I have also noticed that the font for the menus has changed some.

Firefox also seems quicker in Mountain Lion.

I don't think the menu font is at all different, but yeah, they could not make the dock lights any more dim. I don't like that. A month into ML, and I have to say I almost never use the actual notification bar - but the pop up notifications are nice.

Just tried to use Wine and got the pop up that X11 is no longer a part of Mac OS X and an option directed me to an Apple KB article stating such and where to download X11.

rockymtnhigh said:
Yes, copy it to an external drive. It will go away when you install it.

How many computers are you allowed to install with one download?

Sent from my Jailbroken iPhone 3GS using SatelliteGuys

How many computers are you allowed to install with one download?

Sent from my Jailbroken iPhone 3GS using SatelliteGuys

As many machines as you can have tied to an apple id. I believe it is five. All software purchased through the app store is that way. One thing apple has done right.

For some reason my wife's Mac Mini has been locking up randomly since the upgrade to Mountain Lion. It only locks up on the screensaver....

Our Mac Mini downstairs was acting very sluggish after upgrading to ML, taking forever to log in and many spinning beach balls. I ran the Disk Utility to verify the disk and partition, plus verified and repaired permissions, but no luck. I removed Sophos AV and that seemed to help a lot, but then it would hang at various times.

I finally wised-up and checked the Console System logs. I saw a message about "I/O error disk0p2" repeated in a few places, and a quick Google had me wiping out the disk with a security erase of 0s to force the drive to re-map any bad blocks. Once that was done (an hour), I got to restore my latest Time Machine backup and another hour later, our Mac Mini was back in business, minus the pokiness.

I was going to do a fresh install, but I think I'll see how this runs for now. If the hard drive continues to produce errors, $85 will get me a 7200 rpm drive that will be faster and have a bigger cache to boot. I looked at SSD, but $1/GB seems so 2001...

ML 10.8.1 is out and downloads from the App Store.

It is on both of my machines, I have not noticed any changes, but wasn't really having any problems. No idea if they dealt with battery issues, and have not had time to check the various forums..

Hopefully they fixed the problem I'm having with Safari. I did finally figure out exactly what is happening now. You have to be using a Magic Mouse set up so swiping left and right moves you through the pages you've visited. Then, if you swipe passed the page you started on the bookmark page will be blanked until you close and reopen the window. I just turned off the swiping more on the mouse and everything works as designed.

New version installed - same problem with Safari. I guess I need to make a bug report.

Last edited:
Hopefully they fixed the problem I'm having with Safari. I did finally figure out exactly what is happening now. You have to be using a Magic Mouse set up so swiping left and right moves you through the pages you've visited. Then, if you swipe passed the page you started on the bookmark page will be blanked until you close and reopen the window. I just turned off the swiping more on the mouse and everything works as designed.

New version installed - same problem with Safari. I guess I need to make a bug report.

I have a magic mouse but don't use it. I'll try to replicate.

I have a magic mouse but don't use it. I'll try to replicate.

It seems that sometimes when you try to swipe back on the first page it allows you to displace the page image 1/3 to 1/2 the window width. That's when the problem occurs for me. Smaller displacements don't seem to cause a problem.

You do have to move to a separate page and go back, it seems.

I setup the mouse to do the same thing - to swipe between pages in Safari 6. Opened a new window. Loaded up five or six pages in the same tab. Then swiped back and forth, got back to the first page, and tried to swipe beyond it. Nothing.

I also tried with the magic trackpad. Same results.

I'll keep playing, but can't seem to replicate the problem.

I does not appear that it took care of the battery problem. :(

In the morning when I get up I take my laptop and eat and get ready for work. Before ML my battery was down from 100% to 98%. After ML for the same time going to the same sites the battery is down to 83%.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts