First time I hear Voom channels are making a profit

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Cablevision Systems Corp. Q4 2007 Earnings Call Transcript - Seeking Alpha

Turning now to Rainbow’s other programming businesses which primarily include the VOOM HD Networks, News 12, IFC Entertainment, Fuse and our VOD services, fourth quarter net revenues for this group increased 20% to $70 million and the AOCF deficit improved from $38 million to $30 million. The revenue increase was primarily attributable to VOOM HD. The AOCF deficit improved because of the higher VOOM HD revenue partially offset by higher operating costs at fuse, ICF Entertainment and our VOD services. For the year 2007, revenue increased 20% to $247 million and the AOCF deficit improved $18 million to a $125 million for this group.
I’d now like to turn it over to Hank Ratner who will discuss the results from Madison Square Garden

Whatever money they get from VOOM is profit, because they aren't spending any money on it. Sameo-sameo week after week.

you are not looking at the big picture. Voom in the US is peanuts compare to the international deals they have outside the US plus the distribution deals of their content. They may have scaled down their programming in the US because probably there is very little revenue from Dish/CVC that do not support the programming. However, that is not the same with the international programming umbrella.

you are not looking at the big picture. ....
I'm just looking at the big picture on my big screen HDTV. And it's not changing much on the VOOM channels. How they're doing internationally doesn't interest me a bit unless it translates into new programming that I can see.

I'm just looking at the big picture on my big screen HDTV. And it's not changing much on the VOOM channels. How they're doing internationally doesn't interest me a bit unless it translates into new programming that I can see.

In that case why bother responding to this thread. Your comment, obviously, belongs to another topic :confused:

In that case why bother responding to this thread. Your comment, obviously, belongs to another topic :confused:
That's okay, this topic serves the purpose. If your analysis is right, it's not the US VOOM channels that are making a profit. Maybe if VOOM invested in more US programming variety, and thus became more attractive to additional US providers, they would.

And I'm not one of those that say "All VOOM is crap!". But I've seen everything that VOOM has to offer. Nothing new shows up in the guide for weeks at a time. If their international operations have more programming, then they should bring it over here.

Saying that the VOOM channels are making a profit is pretty misleading, if it's not the US channels that are doing it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)