Fix the 4DTV Ratings Issue and Restore Firmware Back to A4!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Attached are the instructions on how to fix the 4DTV Ratings problem and also revert your receiver back to the A4 firmware!

Note that by using this file and instructions that by doing it improperly can cause you to brick your receiver so please do it with caution!

Enjoy!

Attachments

• a4.bin
    1.6 MB · Views: 378
  • Ratings Fix.pdf
    22.9 KB · Views: 533
Last edited:
I am going to do this once I change my battery. I have an older GI model that I am going to use hopefully later today.

I still don't have the BDM adapter. Figures that I'd be poor at the moment that MMR was released. Business has picked up some the last couple of days, so I think I'll be getting one soon.

Scott, where did you get this file & instructions? If you can't say that's fine, but can you confirm that the origin is trustworthy & safe?

I've got both files in the bank for when I get the BDM adapter.

Cheers

The file and instructions were given to me by the Map Master Team with full permission to post them. :)

a4firmware.jpg

I am going to do this once I change my battery. I have an older GI model that I am going to use hopefully later today.

Remember this firmware returning to A4 is only for a 922 receiver!

And what are you doing replacing maps without replacing your battery first?
Yeah I'm whipping you like you never been whipped before!
Are you trying to see if your 922 will die on you and you lose your unit id number?

Sure glad you decided to not do anything with the firmware till you put in a new battery !!!!

OK, I'll calm down here a bit but really before anyone attempts to redo their maps if they have not replaced their battery in the last 7 years do it before you do anything else.
I lost a unit id on one of my receivers here and that is not fun!
Lost the unit id because I waited too long to replace that dog-gone battery.
Don't make the same mistake I made .

Congrats! RRob!!!!

no more ratings ceiling bug for your 922!!!!

Now make sure you post it everywhere you go that you changed out your 922 firmware back to A4 by yourself!

Ya I am about ready to run out of batteries. I started with the oldest units first (dsr920) and did those as soon as I got them but I have faith with the newer 922s I have. In fact one of my 920's seems to have been repaired somewhere. The battery was dated 1999 and there are numerous tags on the main board. I would imagine this indicates things were replaced or tested. But no worries, that GI 922 is the oldest of the batteries I have so all is well. :) I replaced a couple of batteries out of my first 920 that were just about 20 years old and alive and well. I would rather be lucky than good.

Once this is done this is what you will notice....
nothing different except that whenever a picture is FTA it will actually show up on you TV and not some gray screen saying...
"MISSING RATINGS CEILING INFO"

I bet it took you all of like 10 minutes or less to do this too!

OK this is a little bit of advice to anyone who does this to their receiver.
Once you do this please take your old files from the receiver and zip them all up someplace if they had the old firmware in it.
Then using your BDM device re-download from your receiver all your new files with the A4 firmware.
Do not mix the 2 firmware files.
You also do not want to resend your old files to the receiver since the firmware is different use only the ones taken out after the firmware change.

This is just a precaution as you do not want to ever have a problem in the future.

I still don't have the BDM adapter. Figures that I'd be poor at the moment that MMR was released. Business has picked up some the last couple of days, so I think I'll be getting one soon.

Scott, where did you get this file & instructions? If you can't say that's fine, but can you confirm that the origin is trustworthy & safe?

I've got both files in the bank for when I get the BDM adapter.

Cheers

I'd be willing to go in half on a cable or maybe thirds if someone else wants to jump in. I can send you a paypal payment. You load the maps on your receiver then mail the cable to me. Then whoever else needs it i'll mail it to them. Then mail it back to you or whatever?:D

I'd be willing to go in half on a cable or maybe thirds if someone else wants to jump in. I can send you a paypal payment. You load the maps on your receiver then mail the cable to me. Then whoever else needs it i'll mail it to them. Then mail it back to you or whatever?:D

I don't know if you want to do that with the BDM board.
I know many feel $68.00 is a bit much right now but remember you will need an activation code and then what happens if it is damaged in the mail between mailings?
I am not sold on that idea.
I also highly recommend the extra 18" ribbon from mouser as that can be left in the receiver.
I ordered like 10 of them as I have 7 4D receivers here. They each have that ribbon on the board all the time.
Whenever I am doing any work/re-mapping i then just connect the BDM board to the ribbon cable.

I don't know if you want to do that with the BDM board.
I know many feel $68.00 is a bit much right now but remember you will need an activation code and then what happens if it is damaged in the mail between mailings?
I am not sold on that idea.
I also highly recommend the extra 18" ribbon from mouser as that can be left in the receiver.
I ordered like 10 of them as I have 7 4D receivers here. They each have that ribbon on the board all the time.
Whenever I am doing any work/re-mapping i then just connect the BDM board to the ribbon cable.

Ok, i didn't know you need activation code. Maybe Glentech has one he can loan me!:D

I tried to do the ratings fix, ran into an issue [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]my flash read AMD 291v160db instead of [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]amd 281v160dbm so I stopped before I screwed up. Is this a problem

I tried to do the ratings fix, ran into an issue my flash read AMD 291v160db instead of amd 281v160dbm so I stopped before I screwed up. Is this a problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)