Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
For yesterday's retailer chat I submitted the following question...

On an earlier chat this year it was announced that the 921 would also be getting Name Based Recording and it was announced this would happen before the end of the year.

So the question is when will the 921 get name based recording?

This is the reply I got back...

Scott,
At this time, there are no plans to upgrade 921 receivers with Name Based recording. This feature will be implemented in 522 and all DVR receivers going forward

Yikes! What's meant, I wonder, by "all DVR receivers going forward" ? Just only new models that aren't already released (like the 942)? Let the flames begin. :(

That really blows hard, I hope they make the 522 available to exisiting customers soon, cause this is something my family and I have been waiting for.

TuxCoder said:
Yikes! What's meant, I wonder, by "all DVR receivers going forward" ? Just only new models that aren't already released (like the 942)? Let the flames begin. :(
Yup that's whats meant. All models going forward.

Someone should really sue this damn company and Charlie Chats and Tech Chats should able to be used as evidence.

Well, in the case of the 921, it really needs a properly working OTA guide before they could even think about NBR.

Typical. The least they could do is give the 921 and 510 owners NBR, then they would be getting something extra for the bogus $5 VOD fee. :no

NightRyder

I think the key words that Scott quoted are: "AT THIS TIME" that doesn't rule out the future.

um, I'll take that as a never, not sure about everyone else. I'd have to think their thought process is to make the 522 available to existing members and then you'll get your NBR.

And this is why I still have my old Standalone Tivo hooked up to my 322. Might be a bit of cabling and a little more expensive, but it works.

--Matt

I clearly remember Charlie saying NBR would be coming to all receivers and the time frame was around last spring. If this is true, it is time to go to D*. I cannot believe how poorly this company is run. It seems like E* has become a totally different company since the months prior to the beginning of merger talks with D*.

Hey at this point, I'd be worried about Name Based recording screwing up the 921 even further than it already is.

The only thing that ever really catches me now is NBC and their stupid super size episodes. Part of this could be avoided if they actually reported the TRUE starting times (ER starts at 9:58 and the Simpsons ENDS 2-3 minutes after they say it does... assuming football on the east coast doesn't REALLY screw up your timers... which it does... thank God for the West Coast Distant Fox feed)

You would think DISH would release it to the rest of the 5xx, 921, and 721 receivers, considering that's the majority of their customer base.

DISH doesn't have a clue.

Ouch, whip, slap, bam, pow.

Dang this is friggin ridiculis. Talk about retracting from a statement. I sure would hope someone has the recording of the tech chat that said exactly which receivers would get NBR and when. This is total crap.

Oh, and about suing them, that's happenend to them plenty :D

If remember on the March tech chat that they said that all the receivers would get name based recording features. The 522 first followed by the 500 series of dvrs and then the 921 and the 721 last . That was by summer. They are 6 months behind what they promised in starting namebased recording. NOw they are saying no namebased recording on any older receivers?

I can't believe how much Charlie likes to screw his existing customers. Now I see why he wants to go with an all lease program. It is much easier to change out older receivers with the newest receivers with the latest technology. I just wonder what wonderful upgrade offers he will be offering to go to the newest receivers. :rolleyes:

When my commitment is up this summer for my free 510 dvr I got a year and a half ago , I am going to have to switch back to Directv. They at least are moving in the right direction to give their customers something for their money. Hell even TWC is doing more for customers in my area with their new dvr that does both hd and sd.

Dish is just screwing everyone , especially the ones who have stayed the longest and paid the most . To think I paid 1000.00 for a obsolete receiver that won't even get name based recording features. NO firewire, and no ota guide information that works on psip and requires Dish satellite locals in order to get any guide information. All of these features were advertised as coming with a software update. Then they either discontinued the features or changed the way it was to be delivered. (ota guide information) One bad decision after another by Charlie. :eek:

I used to love this company and now I am finding more reasons why I shouldn't, growing every day. :mad:

This is just another huge slap into the fact for those who TRUSTED Dish enough to shell out $1000 for this machine.

Dish just does not seem to care about its customers, all's they care about is signing up more new customers.

I am really starting to think we should consider some kind of legal action against Echostar for its false advertising of its products. How come when DirecTV releases a receiver it has all its advertised features when it ships?

The 921 is now a year old on the market and is still missing many of the promised features.

Hey Charlie you know I love you man but please get your head out of your ass and take a look at whats going on with your company!

That's it! I've had enough.

I'm going to take Dish to small claims court and make them buy back my 921. I'm going to grap all of the postings I've done over the last year as a diary of the problems I've had with the machine, and the lies they fed to us, and a long list of bug reports. I'm going to ask for compensation for VOD fees and local channel subscription fees for the last year. If it misses a recording, it ain't video on demand! I don't see how any judge would accept a smooth tongue from those lying slackers!

Didn't the last time a class action was filled all the lawers could settle for was some free ppv coupons? I don't think lawsuits would go far unfortunetly :(

This is just another addition to the books that E* cannot manage their own STBs.

E* STBs are like the pre-school toys whereas D* STBs are the real deal.

Heh, add that to the SAT :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)