Flat Ribbon Coax cable source?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

esteveW

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Western WA
I recently picked up a 10' BUD and I am in the process of installing it. When I picked the dish, I was only able to salvage about 10' of the lead-in cable (since it went under a nice lawn) I just cut it off where it went under th sod.
Now I wish I had tried to salvage more, since I looks like it might be expensive.
I haven't found a source yet. I would appreciate some tips on where to get it.

I'm also considering running individual RG6 cables and shielded rotor and servo cable seperately, so I can run it through a single 1" conduit, under ground. I doubt I could do this with the combine flat calbe.

My BUD has a Chaparral Corotor with C and Ku band LNBs (hence the need for 2 RG6 coax). The dish location is only about 25 feet from the house and once it enters the crawl space, I can switch to singe (cheaper) cable runs. Someplace in the entry area, I will install the various switches and splitters. (all of this will be a question in another post.)

Any comments or suggection or direction would be appreciated.

Steve

If you want the actual ribbon cable, I've found a couple of places that carry it. Skyvision offers a 100ft roll for about $97. Satellite Mart offers it for 99 cents per foot or $90 for a 100ft roll. Finally The Satellite Shop offers it for 99 cents per foot or the only other option they have is a 500ft roll for $330.

None of the prices include shipping. I've never done business with any of the above companies either, so I can't recommend anyone.

I didn't see any on our sponsors websites, but Google found these:

Ribbon Cable | By the Foot | C band satellite [RIBBONPERFOOT] - $0.99 : The Satellite Shop, Satellite Equipment - TV Dish Programming

Satellite Mart Specializes in DBS,FTA and C-band Equipment.

Do you have any old C-band installers in your area?

Maybe someone here would sell you a piece, sounds like you only need 60-70'?

A lot of people here have gone with individual (or dual) RG-6 cables, and used various types of wire for the servo and actuator control.

Flat Ribbon Cable Burial

""under ground. I doubt I could do this with the combine flat cable.""

.If you can find the direct burial type it works well. I've had my flat cable in the ground over 20 years.

Thanks for the helpful replies. However, it is as expensive as I expected. I should have spent the time and effort to pull/dig up the cable at the old site of this BUD. To far to go back just for the cable (150 miles). and I doubt he would let me tear it out of his house.

I think I will dig a shallow trench and put in an electrical conduit big enough for individual cables and control lines. ! inch pvc should be big enough for these plus some line to pull in future additions, I only need to run the conduit to the house crawl space. I already have a lot of good RG-6 cable that the cable company put in my old house. I salvaged several hundred feet in long length when I found the house was going to be demolished. Nice new cable. The house I'm in now was wired by DN to most all the rooms to my shop.

BTW. The weather turned bad and snowing now. Got the hole dug for my post but didn't get the concrete pored yesterday. Delayed so I could have plenty of daylight to get the post set properly. Kinda wish I had done that so the concrete could be harding. Looking forward to mounting this nice BUD and start hooking it up and scanning for those Birds.

Steve

Make sure you check places that used to sell BUDs. I bought a partial roll which had about 230 feet for a whopping $5!!! About a year ago I saw new ribbon cable on Ebay cheap but have not checked lately. Check out places like Skyvision but that will cost you, but if you cannot find it anywhere else... Too bad you did not make sure the other end of the cable was unhooked and then gave it a big pull. I saved cable by pulling it out with minimal damage to the lawn. As for conduit it can be a good worthwhile investment. My yard is loaded with buried rocks and metal do-dids from an old barn foundation. I put a mess of cables including ribbon cable inside 1 1/4 inch pvc conduit. I should of used 1 1/2 inch to give more room to pull the cables in easier. The bigger conduit is just a little more money for the 10 foot pieces and about 10 to 15 dollars more for the fittings on my 250 foot run. I also threw in some rg6 into a 1 inch for a motorized Ku dish and used the 230 foot piece in another sweet spot for a future BUD installation. :rolleyes:

somewhat infered above, but I will not use smaller than 1 1/4 inch and when I can get it reasonably - which is most of the time- I use 1 1/2 inch PVC conduit. Use the purple primer and the hotter glue to put it together to keep all the moisture you can out, too.

Flat ribbon cable

I followed both of these links to their source and they look like a good deal, However the picture of each show they have the needed control cable coax but neither of the produce descriptions mention if the ribbon includes the control cables in these flat ribbons. They just describe the DUAL RG-6 coaxial leads.

I just dropped them a inquiry about this. I didn't have any luck looking up the part numbers. CADB35 and CADBCU, Just the same description as in their ad.

Thanks for the link and I hope one of these is what I want. I don't really need 350' but the 100' would just about meet my needs. If anyone wants to split the 350' roll, let me know.

Steve

try this link, gofastmotorsports.com/rickssatellitecoaxcableandribbon.htm

this is where i bought mine. The best price i found plus cheaper shipping than most!

You can buy 1000 foot rolls of RG6 on ebay for a lot less delivered.

I am going to install another BUD, I already have one. I am going to use sprinkler cable from Home Depot or Lowes plus RG6.

I just bury my wires I don't use conduit, just lazy. Since I buy RG6 in the the thousand feet rolls I have pleanty to bury extra lines just in case.

I have been using buried lines for over thirteen years with no problem.

My telephone wire is direct bury, so is my elect. line.

it does say this for the 100 ft

C-Band Direct Burial Ribbon cable by CommScope, 100' FT Bulk Roll of ribbon cable. Jacketed with two 16 gauge conductors for actuator motor, three 20 gauge conductors for sensor, two RG-6 coax cables, three 22 gauge conductors for servo motor, all-in-one.

Retail Price: $195.95

Our Discounted Price: $89.95

but it also says this
This product is no longer available for purchase.

on both links so sorry for the bad links
i did get mine off ebay for $115 i got 400 ft shipped

I just wasted a half day trying to get further info on Summit Source Flat Ribbon cable: no reply, then I tired to order the 350' roll (since the price was good) and found they no longer stock any flat ribbon cable. To find this out, I had to call them on the phone.. Not a company I plan to do any further business with.

Steve

Steve;

Opting for seperate cables pulled through pipe seems to be your best solution. You should also allow for more cable runs than you need right now (you are going to pull extra runs, are'nt you?). I have a pile of 1-1/4" fiberduct left by a construction company putting in fiber, it's amazing how much more wire goes in that extra 1/4". If you can find a weather resistant plastic box to mount at your post, it will serve as a fan out point for the Ku dishes that are sure to sprout on either side of the BUD.

I finally "bit the bullet" and placed an order for 200' (at $.72/ft) of dual ribbon from (https://impaktproducts.com/home.php?cat=293&sort=title&sort_direction=1&page=1)

It should be here next week. That should get me to the service entry and I can split out from there.

Now I need to know what type/freq. splitter I should look for. My BUD had both C and Ku band with co-rotor and motor control. I may add other cable later and will allow for that in my trench/conduit.

Steve

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts