FM/VHF Antenna recommendations

kittyhas1000legs

That's a lot of claws!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Western Slope, CO
Good morning all,

I have my Newsky SDR set up through SDR#, and I really like it so far. The one little(?) hitch is that, for now I have it connected to my TV antenna (Antennas Direct DB8). It seems to do well with some FM stations, but for others, I need to turn up the gain on either the antenna amp or SDR#. If I turn it up on the amplifier, the FM stations come in really well, but TV reception suffers (probably amplifying the noise too much with the signal). However, if I adjust the gain in SDR#, some FM stations improve while others degrade. I figure that the best way to deal with this would probably be to get an FM or VHF antenna.

Here are the things I'm considering:

(1) VHF or FM antenna for the SDR, and the separate amplified UHF antenna for the TV tuners, or
(2) Combine the VHF and UHF through a UVSJ, connect that to the amplifier, then to the SDR and TV tuners in the hopes that I can get VHF 10 & 11 in my area.

Either way, what sort of antenna should I get? The only VHF stations in my area are 10 & 11 so I was thinking of getting a VHF-hi antenna, but they're made for channels 7-13, and FM is between 6&7. It would be better, but not ideal. An FM-only antenna would of course be great, but might not get me channels 10 or 11 too well.

Just in case, here are my TVfool and FMfool:

tvfool.jpg
fmfool.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: spongella
I like discone antennas. They are omnidirectional and can cover a wide frequency range. Perfect for scanner use.

I'm using the FunCube+ dongle and SDR#. Tons of fun!

cheers
fred

For TV keep your DB8 for TV only. Its a good antenna for your situation especially if you could pull in the UHF duplicates of ch 10 & 11.
I second a separate discone antenna for the SDR. Your FM stations are spread out over 360 degrees so a directional FM antenna will have to be turned for different stations. The discone is omnidirectional and will receive a broad range of frequencies. You can even use your SDR as a police scanner with the plug in software and the discone.
The discone is not large only about 30" diam and 30" high.

Another alternative, that's really innocuous, would be a jpole made with 300 ohm twinlead.
I have one for the scanner and it's a performer. Does a bang up job of VHF and UHF. Even receiving 800Mhz trunking up to 25 miles away. ~35ft in the air. And it's cut for 155Mhz.
If cut for FM(88-108) it will be longer, but would easily fit in a closet, hang on a wall , etc.

Your desire to combine things are going to complicate things.

TV VHF/UHF has a horizontal polarization while VHF/UHF HAM, business, and public service radio stuff is generally vertically polarized.

I would get this dual band VHF/UHF vertical JPole antenna for radio SDR stuff and just get a normal flat horizontal TV antenna for TV.

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-008600

I'm planning on getting that JPole for my HAM soon, I'm just still searching for the correct crimp connections to use the bulk RG11 coax I already have with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
For restricted space you need a antenna with built in amp for the frequency range desired. The TV band has shifted and is 180 mhz and above. An old RV antenna has a built in amp and requires 12 volts and works from 60 mhz up.
The J-pole is really a performer but is narrow band. I use one to communicate with International Space Station on 2 meters and have QSL cards to prove it. The ones I use are made out of 1/2 inch copper pipe with a L and T fitting. K6PKL.com
the radio I receive is Free on C and KU satellite bands 4 services.

TV VHF/UHF has a horizontal polarization while VHF/UHF HAM, business, and public service radio stuff is generally vertically polarized.

I would get this dual band VHF/UHF vertical JPole antenna for radio SDR stuff and just get a normal flat horizontal TV antenna for TV.

I'm planning on getting that JPole for my HAM soon, I'm just still searching for the correct crimp connections to use the bulk RG11 coax I already have with it.

Interesting, I hadn't thought of the polarity.

For the next month or so I'll be putting my antenna plans on hold since I may be moving to another building in my complex. If that happens my "fun" money will go to getting a proper dish stand/NPRM and finally put my dusty dish to use. Then I'll probably get a discone for the SDR. I'll probably skip VHF for TV since I don't necessarily need the CT ABC station or MA NBC. Also, having a DB8, VHF TV, discone, and dish (or two) on the balcony might drive my fiancee crazy.

For now I'm using a cheapo RCA rabbit ears on my balcony for the SDR, which seems to work better than the DB8. The local fire/police/medical transport are booming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Nascarken 91xg
Well I hate to say it but if you have the space get one antenna
That does hi&,low vhf,uhf antenna,solid signal.com!
I can't wait to worm up my stacked/6m,12,element beems
Side by side,150ft run of Rg8u,now the guy's that got me in to.
Ham radio could not believe what I had.for an SWR.a flat 1.

Last edited:
Been a discone man for 27 years for 25 MHz and up and 43 foot vertical for LF-HF. Easy up easy down.

But if your landlord is antenna-averse you could try an indoor beam antenna. The ARRL handbook has some nice designs. I made a few out of PVC pipe and welding rods. Set them up on a camera tripod and twist by hand. No worries about the weather, and coax run is real short. Also fun to see signals increase/decrease as you manually turn the beam.

Have one of the Arrow J-Pole on my roof, I bought it at Dayton a couple of years back from the "Arrow Man" himself.

It works well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)