Football Tailgate Help With Required Equipment

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mosnowman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Midwest
I'm a newbie here and have done a lot of research but can't seem to find the answer so I am hoping one of you gurus here can help! ;)

I am a current Direct TV customer. I am planning on (attempting to) setting up at my football tailgates with Direct TV. Here's what I know and if you see errors please point them out.

1. I will be using a new LCD TV at the tailgates.
2. I have used OTA in the past for locals but want to pick up college Game day on ESPN.
3. I have a Direct TV reciever already.
4. I don't want to spring for the HD Dish that costs a mortgage payment, so there in lies my question.....

I wanted to know which dish to buy in the $200 bucks or below division? I would go a little higher but since this is for tailgates only I don't want to make this a major investment like the higher priced HD dishes. I was wondering which dish to buy specifically for getting ESPN (I guess SD ) ? Thanks for any help you guys can lend!

Many new phase III conversions built this year the only complaint I get are from the ones that have a standard slimline 3 LNB and leave the receivers BBC(s) at home.

Happy tailgating.:)

I'm a newbie here and have done a lot of research but can't seem to find the answer so I am hoping one of you gurus here can help! ;)

I am a current Direct TV customer. I am planning on (attempting to) setting up at my football tailgates with Direct TV. Here's what I know and if you see errors please point them out.

2. I have used OTA in the past for locals but want to pick up college Game day on ESPN.
4. I don't want to spring for the HD Dish that costs a mortgage payment, so there in lies my question.....

I wanted to know which dish to buy in the $200 bucks or below division? I would go a little higher but since this is for tailgates only I don't want to make this a major investment like the higher priced HD dishes. I was wondering which dish to buy specifically for getting ESPN (I guess SD ) ? Thanks for any help you guys can lend!

Phase three will work fine, the signal qualities won't be full blown, but it will work just fine...You can find a slim line dish on auction sites for a lot less than $200..If you would drive to my house I would sell you one for $50...They are out there, just search around...

Phase three will work fine, the signal qualities won't be full blown, but it will work just fine...You can find a slim line dish on auction sites for a lot less than $200..If you would drive to my house I would sell you one for $50...They are out there, just search around...

Agreed, The Slimline 3 (99,101 and 103) can be had for much less than your thinking.
You can actually buy brand new for $100 or less and much less from ebay/craiglist type places.

If you see a DirecTV installer at the gas station or getting lunch somewhere ask him/her if they have any older dishes. Many times when they install a new service, an older dish will first be removed and they end up in a pile out behind the garage.

You have received a lot of comments but I'm not sure anyone actually answered your questions. First off you don't say what size TV you have or which receiver. I'll assume you're talking about a 32" or less with a D11 or D12 rec'vr. In my opinion (and I've been tailgating with DirecTV for six years) you're wasting time with the LARGE dish and all the extra time to mount and align it. The simple 18" SD dual LNB are SO cheap and easy to set up, that is what I always recommend. PARTICULARLY for first timers. Set up everything at home first. that is a MUST. Post back with more info if I can help.:cool:

You have received a lot of comments but I'm not sure anyone actually answered your questions. First off you don't say what size TV you have or which receiver. I'll assume you're talking about a 32" or less with a D11 or D12 rec'vr. In my opinion (and I've been tailgating with DirecTV for six years) you're wasting time with the LARGE dish and all the extra time to mount and align it. The simple 18" SD dual LNB are SO cheap and easy to set up, that is what I always recommend. PARTICULARLY for first timers. Set up everything at home first. that is a MUST. Post back with more info if I can help.:cool:

Why buy a single dish when he can get a Slimline for a slight bit more and not have to change the dish when he decides to go to an HD TV ?

As for taking longer to set up, not really, if you can set up a single , you can probably set up a slimline.

Tailgating Advice Taken....Next Question :)

:rolleyes:

Thanks to all who responded regarding my other thread about tailgating and my Direct TV setup....as a result I think I'm going to save some cash! I went with this dish due to my understanding that it will pick up HD Direct TV Channels? (specifically ESPN HD) Here's what I purchased and would like some tips on avoiding headaches setting it up at the game.....

PURCHASED FROM AMAZON:

Kaku Slim Line Satellite Dish 99 101 103 Hdtv 3 LNB

Eagle Aspen Satellite Meter

I have a stand mounted on a piece of plywood but will spring for a tripod if I am asking for trouble? I would appreciate any tips to my setup and how to tune the signal. I am planning on practicing at home but any help with avoiding headaches would be appreciated! I have an issue with patience.... ;) THANKS!

:rolleyes:

Thanks to all who responded regarding my other thread about tailgating and my Direct TV setup....as a result I think I'm going to save some cash! I went with this dish due to my understanding that it will pick up HD Direct TV Channels? (specifically ESPN HD) Here's what I purchased and would like some tips on avoiding headaches setting it up at the game.....

PURCHASED FROM AMAZON:

Kaku Slim Line Satellite Dish 99 101 103 Hdtv 3 LNB

Eagle Aspen Satellite Meter

I have a stand mounted on a piece of plywood but will spring for a tripod if I am asking for trouble? I would appreciate any tips to my setup and how to tune the signal. I am planning on practicing at home but any help with avoiding headaches would be appreciated! I have an issue with patience.... ;) THANKS!

I would definitely get a tripod, the mast needs to be plumb , can't always get plywood to sit level, make sure it's got adjustable legs.

Tripod suggestions?

Thanks Jimbo....any suggestions on what type of tripod?

P.S. : I won't hold the OSU against you since you have been so helpful! ;)

I'm a University of Missouri spurned by the Big 10 fan.....Nebraska should be fun ;)

Thanks Jimbo....any suggestions on what type of tripod?

P.S. : I won't hold the OSU against you since you have been so helpful! ;)

I'm a University of Missouri spurned by the Big 10 fan.....Nebraska should be fun ;)

Why did Missou not come to the Big Ten ?

There are a variaty of Tripods available, make sure it has an opening for 2" OD or you'll need to find an adapter from the usual 1 5/8th post.
Also make sure it has adjustable legs.

What is a BBC refered to earlier? I am gettting a Diredtv install done on Wednesday and need to have a tailgate setup ready by September 11th. Been with Dish the last 11 yrs.

Thanks.

What is a BBC refered to earlier? I am gettting a Diredtv install done on Wednesday and need to have a tailgate setup ready by September 11th. Been with Dish the last 11 yrs.

Thanks.

BBC is a Broad Band Converter.

You will need them for your set up if you are planning on having HD, theygo on the back of your recvr and your coax goes into them.

Only time you would NOT need them would be if you were using a SWM set up (different dish type) or had a H/HR23 recvr.

Many new phase III conversions built this year the only complaint I get are from the ones that have a standard slimline 3 LNB and leave the receivers BBC(s) at home.

Happy tailgating.:)

I am also a newbie to the site, but am looking for assistance with the same issue -- a tailgating setup. What equipment do I need to tune a HD setup (either a slimline 5lnb, slimline 3lnb or a phase III with 3lnb conversion? Do you have a recommended signal meter that is functional yet cost effective? [I currently have a slimline dish with 5lnb, which I spent the two years fighting and never understanding why I couldn't tune it with my radioshack $9.99 signal meter, as I have researched the issue more in depth on this site and across the web, I have discovered my many errors. I am considering trying to build or buy Matt8976's phase III conversion because it appears that it would be easier to tune than the slimline 5lnb, but I don't know if I should even attempt that.... ]

I am also a newbie to the site, but am looking for assistance with the same issue -- a tailgating setup. What equipment do I need to tune a HD setup (either a slimline 5lnb, slimline 3lnb or a phase III with 3lnb conversion? Do you have a recommended signal meter that is functional yet cost effective? [I currently have a slimline dish with 5lnb, which I spent the two years fighting and never understanding why I couldn't tune it with my radioshack $9.99 signal meter, as I have researched the issue more in depth on this site and across the web, I have discovered my many errors. I am considering trying to build or buy Matt8976's phase III conversion because it appears that it would be easier to tune than the slimline 5lnb, but I don't know if I should even attempt that.... ]

You can't get it with the D* recvr as the signal meter ?

If I only want to do SD can I use an old Dish 500 to hit Direct sats. Which sats will I be able to hit with that. As I understand it most of the programming is on 101 like ESPN and Big 10 Network but I am not sure about the later. I think my SD locals are on 72.5 and HD locas are on 99. So it looks like i need to hit 72.5 and 101. Is this even possible?

Also, can you refer me to a chart of some kind that shows which sats carry which channels to verify what I need to hit.

Thanks

If I only want to do SD can I use an old Dish 500 to hit Direct sats. Which sats will I be able to hit with that. As I understand it most of the programming is on 101 like ESPN and Big 10 Network but I am not sure about the later. I think my SD locals are on 72.5 and HD locas are on 99. So it looks like i need to hit 72.5 and 101. Is this even possible?

Also, can you refer me to a chart of some kind that shows which sats carry which channels to verify what I need to hit.

Thanks
101 has the Core programming (SD)
99 and 103 has the HD channels on it.
That covers 95 % of your programming.

Where are your locals from ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)