for those that have recently come from dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I set up my lists a couple weeks ago (Two HR24-100s) and "Channels I get" has 793 channels (out of 844 checked) so there isn't much to gain by taking that route. I'd love to see a "Channels I get that I pay for" option.

That said, it is actually a good learning experience to go through all the channels a few times, so I didn't mind that initial setup...

Yeah, I didn't find the channels I get option to be that much of an improvement either. Just went through the process of setting up a custom favorite list and it took some time. Removed all the shopping channels, the Direct info channels, the game channels, the specialty sports subscription channels that I don't get, the PPV channels, the VOD channels, the religious channels, and the regional sports channels I don't get. The last one took the longest and doing it all took quite a bit more effort than it should have been but I've quite a bit happier with the guide now. Now I have to go and repeat this process for two more receivers. :(
Thanks for the comments.

I'm in the same boat with about 755 channels on the "CIG" list and 850 or so on the all channels. So deleting the channels from the list that I don't want is much more than just selecting the channels I do want (less than 100 I'm guessing). The thing that would be nice - and please help me if I'm not seeing it - is to see what channels you don't get while going through the favorites list. First I was editing my personal favorites list, then I selected add channels I get, then I went through the list and deleted the channels I didn't want (though some I'm not yet familiar with). But sorting through 700+ channels and all that button pressing (plus having the kids running around the house) made it hard to tell which ones I really get and which ones I accidentally pressed the button on already. Dish has a red highlight for channels you don't get and it's ovbious which channels you don't want to add to the list.

I'd also love to be able to HIDE blocked/locked channels, but don't think that option exists. If there is some option I don't know about, or some sort of code/boolean that we can add into the search that does this, please let me know.

I sure like this forum though. I've learned a ton right off the bat and feel a lot more comfortable using the new equipment. Thanks all!

bebop
The channels you don't sub to will be in a lighter color in the guide but even then its not 100% right. Here are some examples
-Baby 1st (293) I dont sub to yet its darker color like the rest
-If you dont sub to the sports package the "main" RSN's will be light color but the alt's and part time ones will show in guide still
-I sub to the sports pack and only a couple of Big10 alt feeds are "greyed" out
-the NBA/NHL and soon MLB channels for the out of market packages its hit and miss too..some show some don't

Now this is on a R22 which is like a HR21 so it may be different on a HR24

I'd also love to be able to HIDE blocked/locked channels, but don't think that option exists.
In a favorite they dont show in the guide but I know what you're talking about. You dont want to accidentally hit 279 and see Oprah and her cronies on your TV (I know I dont) ;)
I dont know of any way to actually "remove" them from being able to access them at all

Iceberg,

Thanks for the reply. It looks the same as you say on the HR-24's. That's what I needed to see - the greyed out channeld. I just went back through my favorites and found the few that I don't sub to and removed them. Now I have an accurate fav list. It took a bit longer than I was hoping, but it is definitely worth the time. Now I'll have to setup another for the family (and the other receiver). I'm learning the channels, so that's part of the issue. I saw the baby 1st issue as well and thought we got it (I did on E*), no biggie.

The sports channels are much more numerous than with my Absolute HD package. I also like the 205 & 102 channel #'s that group the news and sports into 8 views so you can easily see what's on and then choose. Great feature.

I doubt I'll ever tune to OWN... :)

Last edited:
Jimbo & Iceberg: thanks for the tip on advancing/rewinding one frame at a time & how to get rid of the progress bar.

Good news: after a month, wife has "accepted" the HR24 & Direct remote, she's gotten used to it.
Bad news: now she won't use the Dish/Echostar 5.3 IR remote for the DishPal DTV DVR (ota) box. I can live with that!

The sports channels are much more numerous than with my Absolute HD package. I also like the 205 & 102 channel #'s that group the news and sports into 8 views so you can easily see what's on and then choose. Great feature.

600 also has the sports split view
news is 352 (right by the news channels)

I doubt I'll ever tune to OWN... :)

funniest thing is the channel was removed from my favorites automatically. Since it was a "new" channel it didnt show in the favorites after it was changed. :)

I _may_ be in the wrong thread.. but in theory I will soon belong here :) If I need to move this to a different thread.. please tell me and I will... but I figured the audience in this thread would be very much in tune with my questions...

very close to pulling the trigger to switch to Direct... I was an Absolute customer, now on America Silver with a ViP622, using TV2 to drive 3 SD tvs.. only 1 of which gets much viewing. Just 2 of us in the house.

Planning to switch to the Entertainment pkg... I don't see any reason to get a higher pkg (Ent has all the CHs we watch.. the only reason we didn't have Bronze at Dish was Bravo was never in a Dish bottom tier), nor do I see any obvious better discount for the higher pkg? (at some point when I looked a few months ago, I think there was a wacky discount that made it cheaper to get one step up).. While we could probably get by just fine with the previous gen HD DVR, I figure I should future-proof and pay the $99 to get the new Home Media Center ?

so again, we had 3 tv's hanging off TV2 of the 622... for TV2a, I'll run an HDMI splitter off the back of the HMC (its outside on the screened porch)... so it will become TV1-copy.. and that's ok. For TV2b, the one that gets the main TV2 use (master bedroom)... will def get 1 extra HD rcvr... now TV2c is in the bonus room, and we don't watch that much... is it practical to get a ~50' run of HDMI or component+audio or just lump it and get a 3rd rcvr (for $6/mo)... can I "buy" the rcvr and avoid the monthly fees? either way it will be cheaper than the new Hopper + equivalent # of Joeys @ Dish.

mumble mumble.. anything else I should know? It looks like I need to do this by Mar 15 to lock in the discounts for year #2.

thanks!
Mike

I _may_ be in the wrong thread.. but in theory I will soon belong here :) If I need to move this to a different thread.. please tell me and I will... but I figured the audience in this thread would be very much in tune with my questions...

very close to pulling the trigger to switch to Direct... I was an Absolute customer, now on America Silver with a ViP622, using TV2 to drive 3 SD tvs.. only 1 of which gets much viewing. Just 2 of us in the house.

Planning to switch to the Entertainment pkg... I don't see any reason to get a higher pkg (Ent has all the CHs we watch.. the only reason we didn't have Bronze at Dish was Bravo was never in a Dish bottom tier), nor do I see any obvious better discount for the higher pkg? (at some point when I looked a few months ago, I think there was a wacky discount that made it cheaper to get one step up).. While we could probably get by just fine with the previous gen HD DVR, I figure I should future-proof and pay the $99 to get the new Home Media Center ?

so again, we had 3 tv's hanging off TV2 of the 622... for TV2a, I'll run an HDMI splitter off the back of the HMC (its outside on the screened porch)... so it will become TV1-copy.. and that's ok. For TV2b, the one that gets the main TV2 use (master bedroom)... will def get 1 extra HD rcvr... now TV2c is in the bonus room, and we don't watch that much... is it practical to get a ~50' run of HDMI or component+audio or just lump it and get a 3rd rcvr (for $6/mo)... can I "buy" the rcvr and avoid the monthly fees? either way it will be cheaper than the new Hopper + equivalent # of Joeys @ Dish.

mumble mumble.. anything else I should know? It looks like I need to do this by Mar 15 to lock in the discounts for year #2.

thanks!
Mike

have the cables installed to each tv and just move the receiver if needed

You also get to pay more for your Direct Programming....another INCREASE is coming soon.

It's funny that people mention the ascending order of the guide on DirecTV. Having just switched from D* to E*, I immediately changed the guide on the 722 to display in ascending instead of descending order, because that's what I was used to on D*. Creature of habit!

My signal seems to go out more frequently with any weather and I still miss G4.

My signal seems to go out more frequently with any weather and I still miss G4.

If you are losing signal in anything but a strong downpour, you have other issues like a dish out of alignment or a bad connection or cable.

If you are losing signal in anything but a strong downpour, you have other issues like a dish out of alignment or a bad connection or cable.

+1
Last week, there were big storms that caused signal pixelation and some drops on cable (And downed trees caused loss of service for my TWC internet for several hours.) Despite the monsoon-like rain (over 2.5" in about 45 minutes), my Directv only displayed the "Searching for signal" message for about 15 seconds twice in the storm. The picture was far from stable, lots of fluttering and pixelation, but it was only actually gone about 30 seconds. Yes, I was sure to brag about Directv to my neighbors.

A good friend has Dish and loses signal from her "cows looking at the dish wrong" despite many attempts from Dish to "Fix" it. We both have perfect LOS to respective satellites. In all fairness, my parents have Dish and rarely lose signal.

In reference to the channel order on the guides, do any other providers provide the channels in backwards order like Dish? It just doesn't make sense to me. When you make an Excel sheet, you don't number it 50 48 47 45 43 40 28 26 22 20 17 16 12 11 9 8 5 2. I can't wrap my mind around it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts