For those with faulty X4, why doesn't Comcast rename sat tile to D4 so we can upload it?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bigjohn500

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Dec 1, 2006
I know how large organizations have a need for complexity, but for those of us [4809'ers] with faulty X4 maps with music in 800's, why not rename or add a duplicate sat tile on the 4160 EMM of D4? Exact same mapping parameters as the correct X4, but with a different tile name, the 905/920/922 would accept it. We would just delete the faulty X4 and position D4 [or whatever they want to call it] @ W5. Simple.

No matter what I and many others have done, the 'new' X4 will not overwrite the existing one. In my case, I have a 1748 TDT count as I have for many years. The unit operates perfectly, and always has. It's my belief that it has something to do with a partial pollution of the maps when testing was taking place with AI. When I hit the RC 'sat' button, AI appears, but is NOT in the Options -> 6,4,4 available sat list, so it cannot be removed.

And before anyone asks, yes I have followed all suggestions posted. Delete X4 &or W5, unplug unit, GO, G9, hits - no hits, auth reset. All sorts of things, the current X4 refuses to budge.

I have W5/X4 working channels on 4160 so that's not the issue. The issue is the mapping doesn't match what Comcast is sending so there are issues with a few channels. And of course that renders the new guide mostly useless.

I am NOT performing a MR - too risky.

I'll second that! I'm still holding out on conversion, hoping to improve its chances of success. Never understood with all the letters and numbers available to pick, that an old second hand one was chosen.

I have the same as you bigjohn500. I started with 53 maps and am now at 49. I lost W5, G4, W9, & W6 when I unmapped them. I take it you still have them. I have tried everything, and no luck. X4 wants to stay like it is. I still have all the generic maps, so is there one that I (We) could use to overlay X4 with the same channel mapping? No MR for me too.

From the sounds of this thread and my current x4 mismap, it's not likely I'll even try to remap x4 till there's a rel solution out there. Seems like the current "setup" ruins all "idle" 4DTV units, especially if they were idle during dec (like my neighbors), they can't get the x4 mapped w/o an MR.

Perhaps the group working on the 4play project or someone in their basement will figure something out.

So you guys can sub and get back your maps after a M/R Don't give up.

However i don't think Comcast really wants to mess with anything working we are such a small group.

I know how large organizations have a need for complexity, but for those of us [4809'ers] with faulty X4 maps with music in 800's, why not rename or add a duplicate sat tile on the 4160 EMM of D4? Exact same mapping parameters as the correct X4, but with a different tile name, the 905/920/922 would accept it. We would just delete the faulty X4 and position D4 [or whatever they want to call it] @ W5. Simple.

No matter what I and many others have done, the 'new' X4 will not overwrite the existing one. In my case, I have a 1748 TDT count as I have for many years. The unit operates perfectly, and always has. It's my belief that it has something to do with a partial pollution of the maps when testing was taking place with AI. When I hit the RC 'sat' button, AI appears, but is NOT in the Options -> 6,4,4 available sat list, so it cannot be removed.

And before anyone asks, yes I have followed all suggestions posted. Delete X4 &or W5, unplug unit, GO, G9, hits - no hits, auth reset. All sorts of things, the current X4 refuses to budge.

I have W5/X4 working channels on 4160 so that's not the issue. The issue is the mapping doesn't match what Comcast is sending so there are issues with a few channels. And of course that renders the new guide mostly useless.

I am NOT performing a MR - too risky.

The trick was to remove AI then go get the new X4 then do a soft reboot that changed it to 201+. That's what I followed worked fine.

People should have done a MR last year before it 4096 ended but some waited and now well.... Comcast will not rename anything since it's working for most and those with issues can do a MR and still sub. I doubt Comcast will support any of the original maps in the future. 4play (it will be renamed) when done will be able to get you to a previous 1/4/11 state, it will be sometime though before it gets to that stage and then released to the public. For now ones with screwed up systems have to make the choice of doing a brick MR and sub or do nothing and get a 410 for subs.

tvropro said:
The trick was to remove AI then go get the new X4 then do a soft reboot that changed it to 201+. That's what I followed worked fine.

I still have AI and the correct X4. AI doesn't do anything anymore.

I still have AI and the correct X4. AI doesn't do anything anymore.

Correct AI was removed. If you wanted it to be out of the regular list you needed to delete it before you got the new X4. Motorola chose X4 for the new sat because they were lazy since the X4 map only needed to be modified. Motorola should have stuck it out with AI. Possibly the ones with corrupted X4's wouldn't have issues now. They also could have left the G1 maps up for an extra month if they wanted so they could have let people do full MR's. It's more important to Motorola now to protect their private network of DC. I really don't think they like we found a work around. I wonder how they will handle it when 4Play makes it out there again? I'm sure they don't want us to dig into the DC like were doing since who knows what we may discover. :eek: ;)

A1 & A2 are not AI. AI was a special test map that was sent for a few days in the summer last year for Skyvision to see if a 922 would work with the HITS SAC. Some picked up this tile and some didn't. It was only transmitted on W5. I had it but deleted it before I got the new X4 back in December.

Correct AI was removed. If you wanted it to be out of the regular list you needed to delete it before you got the new X4. Motorola chose X4 for the new sat because they were lazy since the X4 map only needed to be modified. Motorola should have stuck it out with AI. Possibly the ones with corrupted X4's wouldn't have issues now. They also could have left the G1 maps up for an extra month if they wanted so they could have let people do full MR's. It's more important to Motorola now to protect their private network of DC. I really don't think they like we found a work around. I wonder how they will handle it when 4Play makes it out there again? I'm sure they don't want us to dig into the DC like were doing since who knows what we may discover. :eek: ;)
You know I think this must be unique, people hacking a receiver so that they can pay for the programming. Motorola should be more helpful so that this could have been done correctly the first time. OOOPS No Hack Talk? Wonder what's on those 5,277 Channels.

You know I think this must be unique, people hacking a receiver so that they can pay for the programming. Motorola should be more helpful so that this could have been done correctly the first time. OOOPS No Hack Talk? Wonder what's on those 5,277 Channels.

Motorola will only help if you throw money at them otherwise your invisible. SKY/SRL coughed up to have Moto test the 4D for X4 otherwise it never would have happened.

Motorola will only help if you throw money at them otherwise your invisible. SKY/SRL coughed up to have Moto test the 4D for X4 otherwise it never would have happened.[/QUOTE
]

Sounds like a good way to go out of business unfortunately. They sit on their duffs and expect people to give them money but do not try to develop a market. Might work for awhile but eventually customers
will leave for greener pastures. They are jerks in the long run. Exit the business gracefully looks more like crash and burn.

I don't think Moptorola crashed & burn. In fact I'm surprised they went this long. I think 4DTV has been a dying market for the last 10 years because most people want the simplicity & unobtrusiveness of the small dish. I remember back in the 80's & 90' the big dish was a status symbol but now it just looks like people are hanging on to the past, it kinda looks desperate. As far as Comcast doing anything, I somehow doubt it will be worth their while to do much more than what they've done. I think eventually, Comcast will pull the plug too. It's gone from 5 million BUD owners down to 22,000 a couple months ago. And how many people switched to the small dish during the last Q of '10? I've read several forums beyond this forum where people had no clue as to what was really happening until it was too late.

C band will always be the best. Pizza and cable cannot compare. Oh you may get all the stupid lazy mans gadgets on those other platforms but for picture quality and reliability C band CANNOT be beat. If C bad was dead the broadcast industry would abandon it, that is not the case. More signals are on C band today then when the bud was at it's peak. There can be a resurgence for programming if people actually were educated to what C band can offer, then brainwashed those pizza and cable lies.

I agree C-Band is the best & it will be here a very long time but I'm not so sure about Comcast, unless as you say, the revenue will be enough to show profit. Motorola dropped us due to revenue issues, I only hope there will be enough revenue to keep Comcast from dropping us. But there will still be FTA if that happens, but FTA is definitely for the hobbyist. C-Band needs to be reinvented.
Couldn't a company, say Skyvision, just as an example, give the 410 receiver setup package free to new customers & include a monthly charge of say, $15.00/mo extra for 2 years, & instead of increasing subscription fees after 2 years, decrease the fees by $15.00, leaving a sweeter taste rather than a bitter taste?

Couldn't a company, say Skyvision, just as an example, give the 410 receiver setup package free to new customers & include a monthly charge of say, $15.00/mo extra for 2 years, & instead of increasing subscription fees after 2 years, decrease the fees by $15.00, leaving a sweeter taste rather than a bitter taste?

Sure they could do teasers like pizza and cable but I don't think they want to get into a contract game. I myself hate them as others. I like the c band model pay as you go, stop or start whenever no commitments. I think Skyvison is still focused on conversions that will be the norm for the next few months at least. I don't see things getting better overnight but in time with numbers who knows. We beat the NPS/Dish plan to end it all in 2010, that was one hell of a 11 month fight. After doing that anything is possible if one puts their mind to it.

I think about a year ago NPS did their evil announcement that it was all over. Funny a year later were here and NPS ain't. What we have to watch out for is dirty tricks Charlie will pull such as the HBO thing and now I hear he's giving away free Starz for a year. That #!$#& will never stop till he creates total destruction of c band. Funny thing is Comcast can eat him for lunch with their clout.

Last edited:
I think it's interesting that someone would actually pay Motorola for their time reverse engineering their own products for testing. I understand there is a difference in the DCII data streams between the intended users of the signal. After all they designed it and should know it's capabilities I would think. Unless they were so secretive about the technology that no one saw the whole picture only what their part of the job was.

Sure they could do teasers like pizza and cable but I don't think they want to get into a contract game. I myself hate them as others. I like the c band model pay as you go, stop or start whenever no commitments. I think Skyvison is still focused on conversions that will be the norm for the next few months at least. I don't see things getting better overnight but in time with numbers who knows. We beat the NPS/Dish plan to end it all in 2010, that was one hell of a 11 month fight. After doing that anything is possible if one puts their mind to it.

I think about a year ago NPS did their evil announcement that it was all over. Funny a year later were here and NPS ain't. What we have to watch out for is dirty tricks Charlie will pull such as the HBO thing and now I hear he's giving away free Starz for a year. That #!$#& will never stop till he creates total destruction of c band. Funny thing is Comcast can eat him for lunch with their clout.
I haven't & won't anytime soon, signed up for a 2 year contract so I guess I can see your point of having no contract. It is nice to be able to order programming, & then get billed for it a week later without a credit check. And I was goaded by NPS last year to get the Dish Network and I did consider it but the more I listened, the less interested I became.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)