for you old geeks out there -Commodore 64 is reborn

Ah, the Amiga... *sigh* I still have my A3000 in the basement. We still have a trio of A4000s at work, and one even has a NewTek Video Toaster! They were ahead of the pack with true multitasking and interprocess communications. They also collected a huge hacker community.

I wrote my first C programs on my Amiga 1000. The C compiler was written by SAS (of Statistical Analysis fame) and it was neat to edit in one window while compiling in another, just like the VAX at work. Even better, since we only had one VT100 on our desks!

I was never much of a C64 fan, though.

Obviously off topic but definitely in the "for old geeks" category
InfoWorld - Google Books

This is the beginning of Windows (name doesn't exist yet), the split from OS/2, the time of DOS 3.3.
Around this time IBM must have started realizing the price they are going to pay for the "Let the kid have it" decision.

Brought back all sort of memories...:)

Diogen.

Ahhh, I loved my C64! I started out with a Vic20 and afterwards got a cassette tape deck back in the day. I eventually saved up enough money to upgrade to the C64, but could not afford the 1541 floppy disk drive, so I had to stick with the tape drive initially. It took like an hour to load up games on it. Forbidden Forest ruled!

Anyone remember the magazine 'Computes Gazette'? They used to have games in there that you could TYPE in yourself. Oh how I wasted many hours typing those crappy games in, but I guess it was cool when you were a kid. :) I would sometimes leave my computer on for days before I got my tape drive since I had no way of saving the game after I typed it in.

I later got an Amiga 500. Gamed like crazy until it went bad and upgraded then to the Amiga 2000HD, which I actually still have. It came with a whopping 55MB hard drive. I dug it out of storage a few months back and it actually started up and played some games! Ahh, the good old days.

Ah, the good old Commodore.

Got a Vic-20 way back when, played many hours trying to beat the Scott Adams Adventure Games (back in the days before the internet and easy to find hint files). Had the Cassette drive, and many programs typed and saved onto cassette.

Later my parents upgraded me to a C-64 with a 1541 disk drive (man that thing would clunk loudly). Played many hours trying to beat Ultima 3, 4, & 5 on it. Had the 300 baud modem for it as well, that thing stuck out about 8" from the back of the C-64. When Q-link came out and turned the C-64 into a Mac wannabe, it was great.

Like Ice, I also had one of the 3 in 1 plug in things for the Vic-20 so you could easily switch between 2 different games.

Ah memories... Don't miss the load times though, John Elway's Quarterback took alost half an hour to load it seems.

And who could forget M.U.L.E., one of the most fun, addictive games I've ever played.

Oh, this is cool. I have such fond memories of my C64. I had a 1541 disk drive, but no tape drive. Those were just WAY to slow. What also interests me is the re-emergence of the Amiga and this "Commodore OS". I'm going to be very interested to see how this turns out.

So did I. But I had the C128 which had the 64 mode that you could boot into. I guess it was the first dual boot machine ever. ;)

But I had the C128 which had the 64 mode that you could boot into. I guess it was the first dual boot machine ever. ;)
There was a CP/M card for the Apple ][ and a CP/M cartridge for the Commodore 64 that preceded the 128.

The 128 was a triple boot machine as it could boot in native, 64 or CP/M mode. I think the Apple /// also had an available CP/M card making it a triple boot machine as well.

There was a CP/M card for the Apple ][ and a CP/M cartridge for the Commodore 64 that preceded the 128.

The 128 was a triple boot machine as it could boot in native, 64 or CP/M mode. I think the Apple /// also had an available CP/M card making it a triple boot machine as well.

Thanks. I didn't know if it really was of course, just guessing. :D

Oh man I loved my C64.. It was my first computer, and I did have the cassette drive for it. The best part was I got all my games for free (this was before I even knew about BBS's). The computer lab at school had C64's and tape, and being an AV geek, I had access to the dubbing deck.. :D

Last edited:
Tyralak said:
Oh, this is cool. I have such fond memories of my C64. I had a 1541 disk drive, but no tape drive. Those were just WAY to slow. What also interests me is the re-emergence of the Amiga and this "Commodore OS". I'm going to be very interested to see how this turns out.

I remember having a Commodore 64 Ghent a friend of mine purchased a Commodore 128. I was so jealous of him. Also on modems I has a 1200 baud modem when I saw the speed of the 2400 baud I was really impressed. Back in those days windows was some thing you looked out to see what was going on outside.

Today is the first day of your life.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts