Format usb Hard Drive.

stan.soper

Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Kansas
I upgraded to the Dish hopper system. I had a 500G usb hard drive on my old 722. When I connected it to my computer, I could not format it. Did not recognize it. Any ideas on how I can format it for my computer (Windows). Or do I now have a 500G paper weight?

How long ago did you get the hopper? Takes about 48-72 hrs for the system to settle in. Wait a day or two if you just got it. Common.

download this software from Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows

it works with hard drives from any maker and it allows to slick any hard drive back to a "new" slick state,

Reactions: bspei
Are you wanting to transfer your recordings from the 722 to the computer? If so, it won't work. It will move from 722 to the hopper. Within 24-72 hours.

Lol. I meant to tag you in that KaB. Yes yes, you said it first and are 100% correct. Lol. Apologies kind sir

I upgraded to the Dish hopper system. I had a 500G usb hard drive on my old 722. When I connected it to my computer, I could not format it. Did not recognize it. Any ideas on how I can format it for my computer (Windows). Or do I now have a 500G paper weight?

It sounds like the OP doesn't care about recordings on the thumb drive but wants to format it to use on a windows computer?

What Windows version are you using? If you are trying to use a front USB port on your computer, try one of the ones in the back of the computer.

You can go to control panel/administrative tools/computer management/disk management and from within there partition it and format. It could be that windows just doesn't recognize what it's partitioned and formatted as right now but in there it should recognize the drive and allow you to repartition and format it.

Reactions: TheKrell

The ehd from the 722 will work on the Hopper. Any recordings on the drive can be read by the Hopper. If you don't want them, follow the procedure above.

It sounds like the OP doesn't care about recordings on the thumb drive but wants to format it to use on a windows computer?

What Windows version are you using? If you are trying to use a front USB port on your computer, try one of the ones in the back of the computer.

You can go to control panel/administrative tools/computer management/disk management and from within there partition it and format. It could be that windows just doesn't recognize what it's partitioned and formatted as right now but in there it should recognize the drive and allow you to repartition and format it.
Not a thumb drive.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App using an iPhone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts