Fortec 150 cm gain

Status
Please reply by conversation.

patmos

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 9, 2005
I planned to buy a fortec 150cm dish for KU in fringe area in place of their 120cm thinking to get at least 2dB gain improvement. But to my deception this is their result
The gain for 1.5m
Ku-Band Gain @ 12.5 GHz : 44.26 dB
for 1.2m
Ku-Band Gain @ 12.5 GHz : 43.32 dB
Can any one tell if its worth to buy the 1.5m for just 0.94 dB for double price.
http://www.fortecstar.com/estore/storefront/default.asp?ProductID=28&CategoryID=8
http://www.fortecstar.com/estore/storefront/default.asp?ProductID=14&CategoryID=8

gain, size, or cost?

If you are located where every last db is so critical, may I suggest the 180cm dish?
It has a listed gain in Ku band of: 45.54 db
And around here, the 180 can be purchased for the same price as the 120.
I don't have a price on the 150.
Further, the shipping on the solid 120 or 150 will be outrageous, due to the size.
The 180 breaks down and is shipped in a much smaller box (to the far right)!
So, of the three, the 180 is probably the cheapest to obtain.

As far as I know, the new low-cost dual C/Ku band LNBs are not that attractive for Ku, so choose your LNB carefully.

edit:
Oh, I see.
The F/D ratio is 0.38 for the 180cm
The F/D ratio is 0.60 for the 120cm
You want to find a horn to mate to a top-of-the-line LNB, to match the 180 dish, to get maximum performance.

Last edited:
Thank you Anole. I was reluctant to take the prime focus because I need another feed/lNB and moreover it is petallised.People discouraged me from taking petalised dish for KU. To be precise I am very far from where all these things could be easily purchased. I am in Mauritius paradise island in the Indian Ocean.

I see your beautiful island-nation on the map.
Located about 57º 30' E by 20º 15' S.

I assume you already know the satellites you want to get.
That's not a part of the world most of us here at SatelliteGuys are familiar with.
However, the Lyngsat page for Europe lists satellites in your area.
You'll have to select each satellite in turn, then look in the "beam" column to see a map of their coverage area.
To the right on each map page, there is a legend suggesting what size dish you will need.

You might check with other residents on the island to see what sort of dishes they use and what satellites they are able to receive.

Thank you Anole. I was reluctant to take the prime focus because I need another feed/lNB and moreover it is petallised.People discouraged me from taking petalised dish for KU. To be precise I am very far from where all these things could be easily purchased. I am in Mauritius paradise island in the Indian Ocean.

Then freight cost are likely even more important ?

Wyr

Can any one tell if its worth to buy the 1.5m for just 0.94 dB for double price.

I don't think it's worth it , especially for double the price.
I did look at a footprint for Eutelsat W3A at 7.0°E and I can see why a 1.5 meter is better for the fringe of that particular footprint, I'd go for the 1.2 meter and If not go for the petalized type C-band Dish , I haven't heard anything bad about them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)