SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 13, 2005
I got a:

10 feet mesh dish
fortec mercury II receiver
VBox
Actuator to move the BUD

I am moving true the arc good. Now I need to save the positions into the fortec. I had the experience of doing it with a Pansat 3500s which is really easy. I can not get the fortec to record the positions. I do not have the manual either.

Can someone give steps on how to record the positions? Thanks

I got a:

10 feet mesh dish
fortec mercury II receiver
VBox
Actuator to move the BUD

I am moving true the arc good. Now I need to save the positions into the fortec. I had the experience of doing it with a Pansat 3500s which is really easy. I can not get the fortec to record the positions. I do not have the manual either.

Can someone give steps on how to record the positions? Thanks

Do I understand correctly that you already have the sat positions stored on the VBOX, and now want to get those positions transferred to the Mercury? Or do you not have anything saved on the VBOX yet, and want to save them on the VBOX using the Mercury?
If the latter, then following the instructions in the manual mentioned in other response should be all you need.
If, however, you're trying to transfer already saved positions over to the Mercury, then this is not a straightforward thing to do. On some other (Fortec) receivers, they have a menu item which allows you to select the DiseqC-1.2 satellite number (often they have the first 26 or so reserved, but you can get around that via the channel editor), so that if you have saved sat positions via the VBOX or other receiver, you can just select that sat number, and you're all set. Unfortunately, the Mercury doesn't allow you to select a sat number. It selects them for you, and starts with 1, and increments by 1 each time you save a new one. Also, the Mercury's channel editor does not allow you to edit or even tell you what the satellite number is.
I'd recommend looking at a thread over at the Sadoun forum, ie:
Mercury positioner numbers save location in ch. file. - Sadoun Tech Forums

in that thread, I posted a link to a crude program I wrote which will display what DiseqC-1.2 sat numbers the Mercury is using (by reading a saved channel data file).

http://wejones.ftdata.com/bjbinview.zip

I had intended to write a companion program to allow you to edit the channel data file, and select the sat numbers you wanted for each sat, but before I did that, I got fed up with the darn Mercury and pulled it out of service. However I DID demonstrate that with a binary editor, you can edit the sat numbers associated with each satellite. If you're comfortable using a binary editor it's a LOT easier than trying to reprogram the whole list of satellites from scratch using the Mercury.

Be aware though, and this is explained at the Sadoun forum link, that the Mercury has a bug in that if you delete a satellite, all the DiseqC-1.2 sat numbers for sats stored subsequently (that's sats stored, not diseqC-1.2 positions stored), will then be shifted, so that none of the positions will be correct. This is true whether you save positions via the Mercury per the manual, or of you've entered them via a binary editor.

Bottom line is that the Mercury doesn't have a fully functional implimentation of DiseqC-1.2, and has bugs that affect the operation of the partial implimentation it does have.

I think that the above links should be all you need if you want to try using a binary editor, but if you need help, I can explain further.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts