Fortec Passion

Status
Please reply by conversation.

grusome

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 2, 2006
Seems to me I remember reading a post here from one of our sponsors that they would be posting a review of the new Fortec Passion HD STB soon. That was several weeks ago. I am curious what happened. I'm still saving my pennies for
one. Especially if it has 4:2:2 and blindscan abilities.
I hope that the receiver is still going to be released.
grusome

Just received the new Passion firmware from Fortec RD and will be testing over the next few days.

The delay was killing me too! Imagine having the generation in HD FTA sitting on your bench for the past few weeks and very little to test as the firmware was in revision! :hungry:

Just received the new Passion firmware from Fortec RD and will be testing over the next few days.

The delay was killing me too! Imagine having the generation in HD FTA sitting on your bench for the past few weeks and very little to test as the firmware was in revision! :hungry:

Glad to hear you have the new firmware!! Now, if having that thing setting on
your bench is a problem............I know someone who would be happy to store
it for you!! :eureka
All joking aside, I am looking forward to your review.
grusome

Im really impressed with my fortec mercury II's motor control, its fast and acurate. will you have a chance to test the passion on a motor ? Id love to hear about it.

I'm still going to hold out for the passion. I was hoping the pansat would have 4:2:2 but no dice on that supposedly.

The 9000 specs seem to be changing daily, so I'm going to be waiting for the reviews to come in.

Initial testing of the Engineering sample of the Fortec Passion has yielded a very stable receiver. The current firmware displays PAL on the composite outputs, but the next firmware version will support NTSC output. The channel editor has not been released, yet.

The firmware update file is easily loaded via a thumb drive USB port and providing some great features:
4:2:2 - Yes
Internal Dolby decoding - Yes
AC3 Pass through - Yes
Power Scan - Yes (still in beta testing for North American Market)

Up and down converts resolutions, manual or automatic selection
The tuner is sensitive and outperforms even the Mercury II
USALS is reliably controlling a HH motor (tested through 250' of quad RG6).
Controls all tested combinations of 22KHz / DiSEqC switching
Love the VFD display with channel name display!
Universal remote is boxy but well balanced ( have yet to test av equipment codes)

AC3 Pass through - Yes
Power Scan - Yes

Wow!

Now yer talkin' !

but, <sigh>...if it only had a hard drive... :rolleyes:

Thanks for getting some water to us parched viewers.
We'll look forward to your next comments on the subject!

Looks promising, can't wait to see the final specs and US release. I've been patiently waiting for this receiver

Initial testing of the Engineering sample of the Fortec Passion has yielded a very stable receiver. The current firmware displays PAL on the composite outputs, but the next firmware version will support NTSC output. The channel editor has not been released, yet.

The firmware update file is easily loaded via a thumb drive USB port and providing some great features:
AC3 Pass through - Yes
Power Scan - Yes (still in beta testing for North American Market)

Up and down converts resolutions, manual or automatic selection
The tuner is sensitive and outperforms even the Mercury II
USALS is reliably controlling a HH motor (tested through 250' of quad RG6).
Controls all tested combinations of 22KHz / DiSEqC switching
Love the VFD display with channel name display!
Universal remote is boxy but well balanced ( have yet to test av equipment codes)

Hello

this is great news !

One last thing to know if it will be THE ultimate receiver for me.

Does it support diseqc 1.1

Greetings

Labgate

Oh man! SatAV, thanks for the update. That thing looks like it's going to be a winner for the hobbyist! I know I am going to order one if everything you are seeing stays true. :)

Yes, thanks SatAV! This really DOES sound promising!

Glad I waited :D

Of course, maybe the NEXT model will have a PVR function and support a USB hard drive :rolleyes:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)