Fortec Passion

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yes, thanks SatAV! This really DOES sound promising!

Glad I waited :D

Of course, maybe the NEXT model will have a PVR function and support a USB hard drive :rolleyes:

There is a usb port in it so we never know...

I will surely buy one.

Labgate

Assuming there is no bugs in the very promising super DX machine then I will get this baby!!:hungry:

I have a Sony HDTV "Sadly it's in shop for repair" will get better HDTV raw feeds picture quality that will beat's that pants out of OTA stations running a snail pace at 19.4 MBs compared to raw feeds at ~45 MBs.

IMHO the is TV DXer's dream......:hungry: :up

Can hardly wait!! My change jar has filled up at least twice. Keep this up and I'll have enough to buy one. (unless the wife finds my stash!! ;)
grusome

Wow!!! Thanks for the update Brian. I too would like to see it support Diseqc 1.1. If you could get er done, that would be great. Can't hardly wait for the release! Any idea when?

Al

:river :river :river

I might have to divert my savings to the "soon to be released" Pansat HD receiver. IF, it has blindscan and some of the other goodies!!
grusome
I had a recent exchange with Pansat about the 9000. As Iceberg noted, it does not have Blind Scan (nor does it have hard drive or 4:2:2). Interestingly, I was told they hope to have the 9200 out in a few months. It will still lack 4:2:2, but will have Blind Scan and support for external SATA drive*.

Red

* I guess it is time to learn about SATA drives. I have only been using laptops for the last several years and haven't kept up.

SATA drives

I had a recent exchange with Pansat about the 9000. ... and support for external SATA drive*.

* I guess it is time to learn about SATA drives.
I have only been using laptops for the last several years and haven't kept up.

External SATA is trying to become the new USB 2.0 , it would appear. (well, just for drives)
Put a stock SATA drive in a box with power supply (and I think some data buffers) and you've got one.
External SATA connectors are appearing on new computers and I/O cards.
Also, vendors are offering external SATA cables (proper ones have new connectors).

I've used SATA I and SATA II extensively inside my desktop computers for the last several years, and they have high throughput.
I guess recording HD (possibly multiple streams) and playing back at the same time, might benefit from better throughput.
Plus, it's not like the drives are hard to find nor more expensive.
They're as common as Chevy or Ford. :cool:

The USB port is currently 1.0. The receiver specs show it to be DiSEqC 1.1 compatible, but I have not tested for compliance. DiSEqC 1.2 is functioning without problems and 22KHz switching as well.

Tried the kiss of death for many receivers: A 4x1 DiSEqC into multiple 22KHz switches and was unable to find a combination that would not function.

Patiently waiting for the North American NTSC Firmware release to test the PQ. :hungry:

Initial testing of the Engineering sample of the Fortec Passion has yielded a very stable receiver. The current firmware displays PAL on the composite outputs, but the next firmware version will support NTSC output. The channel editor has not been released, yet.

The firmware update file is easily loaded via a thumb drive USB port and providing some great features:
4:2:2 - Yes

Which firmware version is installed in your test unit?

These receivers have recently gone on sale in Europe, but so far users have been unable to clear 4:2:2 transmissions.

Which firmware version is installed in your test unit?

These receivers have recently gone on sale in Europe, but so far users have been unable to clear 4:2:2 transmissions.

That's quite correct..I have had one here in the UK since Monday and there is NO 422, just a black screen, no blind search either, and Fotec ain't saying there will be!!
The tuner is very sensitive though.
There is a bug in the initial software release, if you leave it on a radio channel for more than an hour and try to go back to a tv channel the receiver locks up requiring a power down to correct it.

Must admit after all the hype, I'm a bit disappointed.

fortec did say in an email to me that the first releases wouldnt have blindscan :(

the 4:2:2 is a disapointment though, thats really a great feature imo, there is alot of 4:2:2 feeds out there.

The firmware is beta and not in current release. I do confirm 4:2:2 reception and no lock-up on the radio list. In fact, had it parked on a Galaxy 25 feed overnight and just switched over to the TV list and surfed channels without issues.

If anyone wants to PM a specific feed, I will check it out.

The firmware is beta and not in current release. I do confirm 4:2:2 reception and no lock-up on the radio list. In fact, had it parked on a Galaxy 25 feed overnight and just switched over to the TV list and surfed channels without issues.

If anyone wants to PM a specific feed, I will check it out.

Can you send me the Beta software please?, if that's possible.

Thanks........Chris

I do have a question about how well is Fortec Passion locks in on Closed Captionings, since my current Fortec Star lifetime Ultra gives garbled Closed Caption texts.

It's has to be right spot on line 21.....:yes

Thanks!!!:hatsoff:

many recievers like viewsat and sonicview also list v1.1 in their specs, but dont support uncommited switch's :( gota love that eh. hopefully the passion will, I use an uncommited switch in my setup on the T90

Hello

I exchanged a couple of emails with someone from Fortec and unfortunately he wrote that diseqc 1.1 support is not in the plans.

He wrote that it is in the Mercury II but are unaware if one person is using this feature.

His answer is : "Sorry to disappoint you, but were not looking to support 1.1"

Labgate

If they can get 4:2:2 working without any bugs, and add blindscan capability, I certainly wouldn't complain too much about a lack of 1.1. I wonder if it will support bandstacked LNBFs...

If they can get 4:2:2 working without any bugs, and add blindscan capability, I certainly wouldn't complain too much about a lack of 1.1. I wonder if it will support bandstacked LNBFs...

I agree, but give me 4:2:2, blindscan and HD. Not like pansat 9000...

Labgate

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts