Fortec Pin Code

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bill_KY

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
Northern Kentucky
Please, this has nothing to do with hacks.

I am looking for how to reset the pin code on the Fortec Star Lifetime Classic NA . I bought the unit on E-bay and the seller forgot the code. I tried 0000 and 1234.

I searched the web, It says 1002,1010 is the reset. Those numbers didn't work. Usually resets are holding a button down while powering on. Question is which button.

Another site suggestions go to parental control menu and press red (on the remote) four times. That didn't work.

The unit powers on fine and can get to the menu, but I cannot scan for 97West until I get past the pin code.

I checked the Official Fortec PDF and while it mentions how to set the pin code it says nothing about what to do if one forgets the pin code.

Any help would be most appreciated....

Thanks

Thanks, but didn't work.

Is there something else that needs to be done when entering this master pin number, like pressing menu or power?

If nothing else works, you can hook the Lifetime Classic NA up to a computer using a female to female NULL modem cable and flash it with the original factory firmware. That should reset everything back to defaults.

I am looking at several sites for Fortec downloads, some of them don't look legit. One of them seems legit, but asks for a business name and email.

Any suggestions on where I can download the real (not hacked) firmware?

Thanks again

Thanks for the download link. I downloaded the bin and I guess now all I have to do is hook up the receiver to the computer and turn on the receiver and follow the prompts?

I plugged my receiver to my computer with the female cable, is something supposed to show up on the computer screen?

Where do I go from here for the firmware upgrade. I have the BIN downloaded on the desktop.

Am I supposed connect the TV receiver up too?

Thanks, I downloaded that...its been about five minutes waiting for a response from my receiver. Does it normally take that long? It is on Com port 1 .

It was still "waiting for the the response of your receiver" . I turned it off and on in the back. Waited some more and with no response.

I clicked off that "waiting for the response of your receiver" window and restarted the download, then it said receiver was not detected...I selected com port 1 again and hit download..... Now I am back to "waiting for the response of your receiver"

Am I supposed to be pressing the front power switch too? Or just the back

.... I am starting to wonder if the unit is damaged. I only paid $22 for it on E-Bay.

do you have a null modem cable or a straight through?

per fortec site it needs to be null modem

Female-to-female 9-pin NULL modem cable needed.

It believe it is the right cable, I have another Fortec that I bought that came with cable and instructions. I am running Windows XP, the computer is Pentium III with 900 Mhz and 512 MB ram...though that should not really matter.

Ironically my better computer does not have a socket for this cable.

Thanks for your help, I'll try to run over to radio shack tomorrow or Monday for a 9 pin null modem cable. This has to be straight through cable,.... as it is not working....either that...or the receiver is damaged.

Last edited:
Yes turn the power on the front switch too. Did you get the pdf file of instructions with your download?

It was still "waiting for the the response of your receiver" . I turned it off and on in the back. Waited some more and with no response.

I clicked off that "waiting for the response of your receiver" window and restarted the download, then it said receiver was not detected...I selected com port 1 again and hit download..... Now I am back to "waiting for the response of your receiver"

Am I supposed to be pressing the front power switch too? Or just the back

.... I am starting to wonder if the unit is damaged. I only paid $22 for it on E-Bay.

Update

I bought a null modem cable, connected up the STB up...clicked on the program...clicked download.....the computer recognized the receiver this time.

It took 61 seconds to download the 1.10 firmware. So far so good. "Downloading is successful" window pops up.

Click exit, disconnect the STB and null modem cable.

Hook up receiver to the TV connect the coax leading to the dish...and turn on the STB. I still see the listings that the previous owner had on it...it didn't erase it though of course they don't come in, and I cannot still override the pin code.

Which tells me the firmware didn't reset the receiver to original factory specs...or the receiver is damaged...or I missed a step in the process?

I want to get the antenna setup to scan 97 West, and I could use it on 97 West. But the pin code prevents me from doing that. I tried all the master pin codes on the web (unless I am doing that part wrong).

Thanks

Update

I bought a null modem cable, connected up the STB up...clicked on the program...clicked download.....the computer recognized the receiver this time.

It took 61 seconds to download the 1.10 firmware. So far so good. "Downloading is successful" window pops up.

Click exit, disconnect the STB and null modem cable.

Which tells me the firmware didn't reset the receiver to original factory specs...or the receiver is damaged...or I missed a step in the process?

Thanks

This may seem a stupid remark but once you browse the firmware you want to put on your STB you should press upload not download on the software loader. I think you just copied the firmware to your pc

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)