Fortec Star Dynamic EPG

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

TimLones111

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Canton, Ohio
In beginning with FTA recently I have been very pleased with the Fortec Star Dymanic Receiver thus far..One question I have..How does one get the EPG to work..I can bring it up with my remote, but it shows no program schedules..

EPG content is usually added by the "provider"

I would say this as "EPG content is almost never added by the 'provider'" instead. At least for FTA channels. ;)

If you just want to see if it works, scan in all channels, not just FTA and you will probably find some that have EPG. You have to tune to something on that transponder so the receiver can find the info. Even though the channel is encrypted the guide isn't. As mentioned Mhz Worldview appears to have EPG frequently.

If you have a Circular LNB, and point to 119W and watch NASA, you can get a Dish Net EPG, but, that does not do any of us any good!

That's the only place I've ever seen an EPG on my FTA boxes.

I doubt with factory firmware it would get dishnet epg as dishnet does not send their epg in the clear. Its not encrypted, just encoded.

actually some of the receivers will show EPG for the ITC channels
Coolsat 5000 shows EPG for NASA, Angel One, Dish 101 and the "how to" channel on Nimiq1...and I'm using version 1.00 ;)

Coolsat 8000 does too but I know that factory software is a gutted hackerware so take with grain of salt :)

epg

My Icon picks up that epg stuff from the AMC15 teaching channels and displays it all over the place. Cracks me up to tune in Ohio News network and have it showing
4th Grade Biology! lol

I doubt with factory firmware it would get dishnet epg as dishnet does not send their epg in the clear. Its not encrypted, just encoded.

I'm not sure how much EPG came in, but, I am certainly using factory firmware. It's never been updated since I bought it from Sadoun 3 years ago.

I'll have to look again sometime, but, I know there was some guide data there last time I watched NASA...........

epg on NASA:

Warning: don't rely on the EPG for NASA to tell you about anything that's current.
If there is a news conference, or a shuttle launch, or some special reason to watch NASA, go to their site to find out when it'll be on TV.
Otherwise you may miss it.

Yes, it's better than nothing... until you really need it, and miss your launch! :eek:

...yea, first quarter of 2009....
hey, that's about now! :)

Why would they end broadcast in February or March?
Oh, maybe their transponder lease is up ?
Does anybody know?

Keep on the lookout for those dishes in the Goodwill stores! ;)

My Icon picks up that epg stuff from the AMC15 teaching channels and displays it all over the place. Cracks me up to tune in Ohio News network and have it showing
4th Grade Biology! lol

My Visionsat does the same thing....but it seems like it started doing that after the only time I ever attempted to do some channel list editing on the computer. :confused:

Warning: don't rely on the EPG for NASA to tell you about anything that's current.
If there is a news conference, or a shuttle launch, or some special reason to watch NASA, go to their site to find out when it'll be on TV.
Otherwise you may miss it.

Yes, it's better than nothing... until you really need it, and miss your launch! :eek:

I am an AVID follower of the launch schedule, but, usually whenever I really want to watch NASA I do so on my DirecTv sub.

I do, on occasion go to 119 W, but, since there is nothing there of value other than NASA, I usually turn my attention to 97 W or 123 W, or feed hunting.

It would be nice if the channels that go free sometimes for the promotions would be ITC, but, alas, they just do something to authorize receivers instead of going ITC. Too bad! I would like LEGAL free HBO every once in awhile! :hungry:

This is a screen shot of a frequence scan with my Twinhan. I scanned 12370, where NASA is located. The Twinhan will pull EPG data if it's there, and this is what I got. The Twinhan has not been altered in any way.

I don't have an explanation for this if the EPG is supposed to be encoded in some way to make it only available to dish receivers, my Twinhan just picked it up.

Attachments

• Dish 119 EPG Twinhan.bmp
    686.5 KB · Views: 145
Some of the receivers will show EPG for FTA, very little though but is mostly a provider thing. Anole is right about current NASA EPG, it is wrong sometimes even without a Shuttle Launch. It would be nice to utilize the EPG in our hobby gear since it does it but that is what the subs pay for. I would rather have the channel showing and no EPG than the other way around any day!​

I don't have an explanation for this if the EPG is supposed to be encoded in some way to make it only available to dish receivers, my Twinhan just picked it up.

Two different things are involved. Dish mux EIT "EPG" information is ITC and pretty standard, not encoded. This is basically Now/Next info. One TP has standard EIT with a lot more hours than Now/Next. One has EPG in an encoded format, that is *not* encrypted. Just like a jpeg is encoded, but not encrypted.

Your equipment is doing what it is supposed to and it is legal, you just can't rebroadcast, same as any other signal.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)