Fortec Star Dynamic Slave Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

FTABman0

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 13, 2006
Lat 39.2°N WV Lo 81.5°W
Has anyone had much luck cloning the software & channels STB to STB on a Fortec Star Dynamic? The book says connect a RS-32 cable to it, in which I done but it still says “turn on the slave IRD” on screen.

I know these boxes RS-32 ports uses NULL MODEM cables but is this feature done by a standard cable instead? I got a new Dynamic yesterday from Sadoun and it is getting installed for a friend tomorrow and I would love to clone the satellite list over to it from my Dynamic (Fresh Blind Scans on all Satellites from last night to today) to keep from having to do it at the new install location. Thanks for any input!

Instructions from the manual:

Firmware Download
You can transfer the firmware of your receiver to another receiver.
Please connect a slave receiver with a RS-32 Cable

Database Download
You can transfer the Database of your receiver to another receiver. Please connect a slave receiver with a RS-32 Cable

Page 18 under Operation

It says nothing about a Null Cable which I am using,,, and does not work! NADA!! :mad:

B~Man
ftabman0_avitar-cordoba.gif

I think you need a straight through cable. I know the Coolsat 5000 is opposite if you use the computer versus another unit (one has a null modem, one is straight through)

I think you need a straight through cable. I know the Coolsat 5000 is opposite if you use the computer versus another unit (one has a null modem, one is straight through)

I was thinkin' the same thing Tony! I can say for sure it is not working with the Null cable! Got to look around and see if I have a straight cable around! I am sure I do working on computers since 95! ;)

Thanks for the input! :up

K E V I N

Problem Fixed!

The Fortec Star Dynamic Uses A Standard RS-32 Cable Not A Null Cable!

Good News! Changed the cable today to a Standard RS-32 Cable and bingo, the moved the Firmware and the channel list & Satellite scans over to the new Dynamic! :up

I used an old Windows 95 era RS-32 - Parallel Combo Cable which is a Standard Style on both connections. After looking for my three year ago Classic NA Cable I had given up, I never flash any of my STB'S since there has never been a reason too. So that cable is someplace here lost in the Twilight Zone and I figured if I found it, it would have worked!

After some looking through some old boxes of cables I found this one! Worked like a charm! So it is nice to know that us Fortec Star box users need a Standard Cable to make this feature work! Tried an old Coolsat 6000 Premium Cable yesterday (Null Cable STB Default Style) and it did not work!

Glad to know now I do not have to scan the new box all day today! The new one goes to a new home tomorrow; this saved very much needed time on the set up process!

The Firmware version on the Dynamic seems to be 2007 release. I noticed that my other box had 2008 and would venture to say that that is the latest.

So now I am off to the Fortec Star website to find the latest Firmware!!

UPDATE
I have noticed that there is no Dynamic listed on the Fortec Star Downloads Site and the new release for the Merc II is Firmware - v.1.53 2007. My box had 2008 but lost it when I confused which box was mine and which box was the new one brain fart! :eek:

Never lost the list for the Channel Back Up Saved me there!

Anyone know where the 2008 version is to download? Do we use the firmware for the Merc II since they are basically the same box?

Where did this 2008 Firmware come from if not on the Fortec Site!?!

I am very happy with the Fortec Star STB product line! Now they are not the fastest box out there and have primitive ways to Flash Firmware, these boxes are built like tanks!

They make one powerful "Blind Scan" Machine!

B~Man

Attachments

• Dynamic 1.JPG
    Dynamic 1.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 274
  • Dynamic 2.JPG
    Dynamic 2.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 253
Has anyone had much luck cloning the software & channels STB to STB on a Fortec Star Dynamic? The book says connect a RS-32 cable to it, in which I done but it still says “turn on the slave IRD” on screen.

I know these boxes RS-32 ports uses NULL MODEM cables but is this feature done by a standard cable instead? I got a new Dynamic yesterday from Sadoun and it is getting installed for a friend tomorrow and I would love to clone the satellite list over to it from my Dynamic (Fresh Blind Scans on all Satellites from last night to today) to keep from having to do it at the new install location. Thanks for any input!

Instructions from the manual:

Firmware Download
You can transfer the firmware of your receiver to another receiver.
Please connect a slave receiver with a RS-32 Cable

Database Download
You can transfer the Database of your receiver to another receiver. Please connect a slave receiver with a RS-32 Cable

Page 18 under Operation

It says nothing about a Null Cable which I am using,,, and does not work! NADA!! :mad:

B~Man

Kevin,

I am not sure if I am correct on this assumption, but... I think that most receivers require the opposite type of cable for cloning (receiver to receiver data transfer) then the cable they require for communication with the PC.

Does this seem logical to you? I know that with my Coolsat, I need a "crossover" or null modem cable to transfer data between receivers, but I need a straight-through RS-232 cable to communicate with my PC.

If I am understanding you correctly, the Fortec Dynamic requires a "crossover" RS232 cable to cummunicate with the PC and a straight through RS232 cable to clone to another receiver.

I get the impression that one task requires one type of cable and the other task requires the "opposite" style.

Am I correct, or is this simply dependant upon the make and model of the receiver?

RADAR

Kevin,

I am not sure if I am correct on this assumption, but... I think that most receivers require the opposite type of cable for cloning (receiver to receiver data transfer) then the cable they require for communication with the PC.

Does this seem logical to you? I know that with my Coolsat, I need a "crossover" or null modem cable to transfer data between receivers, but I need a straight-through RS-232 cable to communicate with my PC.

If I am understanding you correctly, the Fortec Dynamic requires a "crossover" RS232 cable to cummunicate with the PC and a straight through RS232 cable to clone to another receiver.

I get the impression that one task requires one type of cable and the other task requires the "opposite" style.

Am I correct, or is this simply dependant upon the make and model of the receiver?

RADAR

True Radar, The cable I used was an old PC data transfer cable. It can do serial or parallel connections. It is the opposite (Crossover RS-32) cable than what the STB boxes require. (Not Null Modem)

The PC cable I used was one that transferred files from PC to PC in the golden age before USB!

It is odd but I feel it is just Fortec Star that does this. You need yes a straight through PC RS-32 cable to go “Receiver To Receiver” or using the Fortec Loader. I had no luck the other day using a Null Cable to use the channel editor for the Dynamic. I have not tried since yet but I feel that it will work now with the right cable!

So in short, yes you need a Crossover RS-32 cable to go receiver to receiver.

A proprietary thing I guess that Fortec Does and very odd! You would think that they all would be the same using a “Null” but I guess Fortec Star wanted to be different! :confused:

B~Man

According to one write up, it is supposed to use the Null cable!

From SatelliteAV's web site:
The new Fortec Star Dynamic satellite receiver provides digital free-to-air satellite
reception without compromise.

The Dynamic is a cosmetically redesigned Mercury II receiver with all the great features
and reliability that you expect from the Mercury II hardware.

I could not get a Null Cable to work STB to STB! PC Cable yes!

Now what is strange is the Fortec Star Web Site Says this for the Mercury II:

Uploader - (Female-to-female 9-pin NULL modem cable needed.)

Channel Editor v.1.0 ( May 16, 2006) - (Female-to-female 9-pin NULL modem cable needed.)

I don't know, but unless a got a couple strange Dynamics, seems like they are wrong with the Null cable thing!

Have not yet had a chance to play with the Channel Editor yet with either cable. I will do that today sometime and let you all know what cable works with that!

There is a 2008 firmware version the Dynamics are using now, the new one I got had it in there before I moved the 2007 firmware to the new one by accident! both now have the 2007 version! O~well they are working fine just the same with the 2007 version of firmware!

B~Man

According to one write up, it is supposed to use the Null cable!

From SatelliteAV's web site:
The new Fortec Star Dynamic satellite receiver provides digital free-to-air satellite
reception without compromise.

The Dynamic is a cosmetically redesigned Mercury II receiver with all the great features
and reliability that you expect from the Mercury II hardware.

I could not get a Null Cable to work STB to STB! PC Cable yes!

Now what is strange is the Fortec Star Web Site Says this for the Mercury II:

Uploader - (Female-to-female 9-pin NULL modem cable needed.)

Channel Editor v.1.0 ( May 16, 2006) - (Female-to-female 9-pin NULL modem cable needed.)

I don't know, but unless a got a couple strange Dynamics, seems like they are wrong with the Null cable thing!

Have not yet had a chance to play with the Channel Editor yet with either cable. I will do that today sometime and let you all know what cable works with that!

There is a 2008 firmware version the Dynamics are using now, the new one I got had it in there before I moved the 2007 firmware to the new one by accident! both now have the 2007 version! O~well they are working fine just the same with the 2007 version of firmware!

B~Man

FTABman0,

I have made all my cables from scratch. We use all sorts of strange cable types at work to communicate with Allen Bradley and Modicon and many other brand devices for industrial PLC control of automated equipment so I have access to a lot of manufacturer's components and cables. When we decommission or refurbish a machine, I can get a "grab box" full of all sorts of goodies for $2.00! A nice perk for working in the maintenance and engineering department.

With my Coolsat 5K, I used a straight RS232 cable to communicate between the receiver and the PC, but required a crossover cable to transfer data from receiver to receiver.

For the Fortec Dynamic, I used the crossover cable to communicate between the receiver and the PC. That was using the channel editor-loader program. I assume that I would have to use a straight cable to transfer data between receivers, but I only have the one IRD at this time so I cannot test this.

You mentioned two firmware revisions for the Dynamic. Do you know what the differences are? Do you have both revisions? My Dynamic shows the following info:

Model: Dynamic
Last Updated: July 16 2007
S/W Version: V1.53
H/W Version: V1.00
Loader Version: V1.0

RADAR

FTABman0,

I have made all my cables from scratch. We use all sorts of strange cable types at work to communicate with Allen Bradley and Modicon and many other brand devices for industrial PLC control of automated equipment so I have access to a lot of manufacturer's components and cables. When we decommission or refurbish a machine, I can get a "grab box" full of all sorts of goodies for $2.00! A nice perk for working in the maintenance and engineering department.

With my Coolsat 5K, I used a straight RS232 cable to communicate between the receiver and the PC, but required a crossover cable to transfer data from receiver to receiver.

For the Fortec Dynamic, I used the crossover cable to communicate between the receiver and the PC. That was using the channel editor-loader program. I assume that I would have to use a straight cable to transfer data between receivers, but I only have the one IRD at this time so I cannot test this.

You mentioned two firmware revisions for the Dynamic. Do you know what the differences are? Do you have both revisions? My Dynamic shows the following info:

Model: Dynamic
Last Updated: July 16 2007
S/W Version: V1.53
H/W Version: V1.00
Loader Version: V1.0

RADAR

RADAR,
I have boxes of cables too and just found that old PC data transfer cable that did the trick on the clone of the STB'S!

I tried the old coolsat Null Cable the other day and was not able to use the Channel Editor on any single Dynamic. Was strange but there was no need for me to go into it more after that so I never tried to push the issue of trying after that.

The boxes did clone fine on the PC cable I used just fine.

Now on the firmware, the new Dynamic that I got from Sadoun last week, it had 2008 firmware in it! I lost it cloning my last year’s box by mistake (2007 version) to the new one. I would say there is not much difference between the 2008 or the 2007 version but I did find it odd that the new Dynamic had the 2008 version and I can't find it anyplace! Just the 2007 version! Maybe Sadoun can chime in here and tell us why! :)

I wonder whey the sales outlet's of these boxes do not write a background screen promoting their business in the OSD part of the screen for advertisement! Where it says Fortec Star in the OSD background they could have their own firmware that has the company you bought it from! You know if you never liked it you could always go to the Manufactures website and change it back to factory firmware to get it back looking OEM! :eureka

If it was thought of we would have seen it by now you know! Remember any Gold Sponsors that does this, I thought of it first! :D

The new system is up and running great and I have to give a :hatsoff: to Sadoun for getting that system out FAST for my weekend install! About 3 days out of the shop to here! It went out to a friend of my Father N Laws house and he could not be tickled more!

B~Man

Attachments

• Install 1.JPG
    Install 1.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 220
  • Install 2.JPG
    Install 2.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 252
  • Install 3.JPG
    Install 3.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 217
  • Install 4.JPG
    Install 4.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 244
  • OSD ADD.JPG
    OSD ADD.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 251
See ya all tomorow! Time to turn the RADAR OFF! LOL. Bedtime, ya know?

Nah, you need to operate like me RADAR, I go to bed at around 4 AM every morning, up before 7 AM to get some needed daily things done here in my routine (done most of the time at 11 AM) and nap till 3 PM.

Repeat until dead! :sleeo

Been doing that for years now!

People say that I am part Vampire! :D

See Ya Gordy!!

B~Man

Just reading through this thread for the first time.

First of all, it is RS-232, not RS-32.

From what I have read, the Dynamic is supposed to be the same as the Mercury II, and if so, they say to use a null modem cable to communicate between receiver and computer, (but all you need is 3 wires, so only a reversing cable is necessary, not the full null modem cable).

Now, for the communication between 2 receivers, in my opinion, regardless of what brand or model receivers you have, I think this will ALWAYS require a null modem or reversing cable. Otherwise you will be connecting the transmit to transmit, and receive to receive, and it can't work, unless they are using a very complicated communication protocol. The same would be for connecting two modern computers together, ie you always need a reversing or null modem cable ( I say "modern" because some extremely old computers had non standard serial ports that were reversed, however even then, if connecting two like computers, you use a null modem or reversing cable..)

So I dissagree with the contention that whatever type cable you use for computer<-->receiver, you use the opposite for receiver<---> receiver. In my opinion, computer<--> receiver can be either way, depending on receiver design, however receiver<---> receiver should always be null reversing cable.

So it's my opinion that there is some confusion above, with respect to what kind of cable was being used. Ie if someone said they were using a straight through cable to connect two compters, then I think they were in error, and this was almost certainly a null modem cable. Straight through cables are used to connect to devices like a modem, not to another computer.

Just reading through this thread for the first time.

First of all, it is RS-232, not RS-32.

B.J. , I know it is RS-232! Can't a guy type shortcuts now and again!! :p
I am very sure that everyone knew what I was talking about.

So I dissagree with the contention that whatever type cable you use for computer<-->receiver, you use the opposite for receiver<---> receiver. In my opinion, computer<--> receiver can be either way, depending on receiver design, however receiver<---> receiver should always be null reversing cable.

Hey man, tell that to the two Dynamic’s that needed the PC cable and not the Coolsat cables, CNX and any other STB boxes that came with THE RS-232 they came with!

I just stated what worked and what did not. Have you tried it with two Fortec Star Dynamics yet? Bet you have not, just saying that the Null cable will not work STB to STB on the Fortec Star Dynamics going Box To Box. The software too I noticed that I could not get a PC to see the Dynamic with a Null Cable, but I never went any further to try.

In short, software moved to the other box FINE and so did the Channel satellite List WITH A PC Cable. :D

Just stating the facts man! Grab two Dynamics and see for yourself dude!

It is possible that some manufacture might in fact have something wrong in the manual when in fact the box is made in Korea! Lord knows they do shortcuts. :rolleyes:

B~Man

My receiver may be the oddball (Xrica-X5) in the group. I recently tried to download a new channel list to the receiver from the laptop. I used the supplied Null Modem cable to do so. What I didn't realize at the time was that the channel list also contained an updated operating system. Unfortunately for me, the updated operating system killed my remote. Luckily I had a second receiver still in the box. Used the same null modem cable to re-flash the hosed system from the virgin system. So. bottom line. for this receiver, one cable fits all.;)

B.J. , I know it is RS-232! Can't a guy type shortcuts now and again!! :p
I am very sure that everyone knew what I was talking about.

Hey man, tell that to the two Dynamic’s that needed the PC cable and not the Coolsat cables, CNX and any other STB boxes that came with THE RS-232 they came with!

I just stated what worked and what did not. Have you tried it with two Fortec Star Dynamics yet? Bet you have not, just saying that the Null cable will not work STB to STB on the Fortec Star Dynamics going Box To Box. The software too I noticed that I could not get a PC to see the Dynamic with a Null Cable, but I never went any further to try.

In short, software moved to the other box FINE and so did the Channel satellite List WITH A PC Cable. :D

Just stating the facts man! Grab two Dynamics and see for yourself dude!

It is possible that some manufacture might in fact have something wrong in the manual when in fact the box is made in Korea! Lord knows they do shortcuts. :rolleyes:

B~Man

I'm not interested in arguing the topic, just giving my opinion. But, if you happen to have a voltmeter, I'd be interested in the pin-outs of your 2 cables, ie whether it's 2-2 and 3-3 or 2-3 and 3-2 . And the cable that you call a "PC cable", if that is a cable used to connect two computers, then that IS a null modem cable. A "Coolsat cable" could be anything, as different Coolsats use different cables for PC<-->receiver. Anyway, while it's possible, I find it really unlikely that a straight through cable could work for receiver<-->receiver communications, as it would require either a very complicated communications protocol and/or serial ports that can switch between DTE and DCE via software. It is possible, and I've run into some scanners that do strange things similar to this using non standard serial ports, but I can't imagine why they would do it that way on a receiver with a 9 pin port.

MOst of the receivers I've used require a null modem for computer-receiver but receiver to receiver uses a straight through for some odd reason

I know the Coolsat 5000 does it that way

MOst of the receivers I've used require a null modem for computer-receiver but receiver to receiver uses a straight through for some odd reason

I know the Coolsat 5000 does it that way
I know the Coolsat 5000 uses straight through for Computer to receiver, but I don't know of any receiver that uses straight through from receiver to receiver.
To do so means that you are connecting the transmit line to the transmit line, and receive line to receive line, and somehow expecting it to communicate. It IS possible, but it would mean that instead of using off the shelf RS232 hardware and software, they'd have to design their own hardware and software. I find that really unlikely. But I don't own a 5000, so I'll leave it at that. I give up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts