Fortec Star Dynamic Installation Results

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Hey Radar have you or anybody else noticed the audio going out of synch on your Merc2? Been watching this about a week now, no particular channel (last night was RTN East). Rebooting the box fixes it , but a day or two later I'll see it has gotten out of synch again. Most boxes get rebooted every day I suppose, but I don't unless I have to, and mine stay on day and night. Not a big deal, just curious if anybody else has noticed that happening.

Hey Turbo,

I haven't found any problems with the audio sync yet. Of course I am just getting started and doing more investigation of the functions and channel editing.

How bad is the sync? I did notice a problem with my Coolsat originally, but found that it wasn't the receiver, it was the A/V system that was inducing a delay on the audio.

RADAR

Half a second or so, not that bad unless you're really paying attention to the tv. Half the time I'm looking at the computer and only listening to the tv audio so I hadn't noticed it. Heard of this before but I couldn't find the thread on it, was quite a while back.

Thank you for the photos. Do you have one with a video image and channel information graphics? Does the graphics have a signal strength meter while a video image is being displayed like the Coolsat receivers?

Thank you for the photos. Do you have one with a video image and channel information graphics? Does the graphics have a signal strength meter while a video image is being displayed like the Coolsat receivers?

Popcorn,

Do you mean the quality level meter while a channel is displayed?

I can try to get one, but it times out so quickly that it is difficult to get into postion and focus the camera before the signal meter goes away, even it I set this feature to the max time. I might have my brother help me and see if I can get a pix of that. I would need to have someone run the remote and click on the INFO button when I am ready. Too hard to do it alone.

The Dynamic does have such a readout, which has its plus and minus qualities. It is the same sort of semi-circle as the Coolsats have, only it is comprised of circles instead of a full linear bar graph and it is rather jumpy. That is a drawback in my opinion.

However, they also put a blank circle at the minumum consistent signal reading. Which is a plus.

I don't know if I can get this to show in a picuture very well, but if I get the chance, I will try.

RADAR

Last edited:

Popcorn, yes it is like the Coolsats meter, round little thing with the signal on the left and the quality on the right. The volume appears in the middle when you move the volume up or down (Picture 5). Sorry the pictures are a bit blurry; it is hard to take them on a LCD screen up close!

Has in the top installation screen though what satellite your on which is a neat feature. Does the annoying "Beep" As Well!

B~Man
ftabman0_avitar-cordoba.gif

Attachments

• dynamic screen shot 1.JPG
    dynamic screen shot 1.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 109
  • dynamic screen shot 2.JPG
    dynamic screen shot 2.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 109
  • dynamic screen shot 3.JPG
    dynamic screen shot 3.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 107
  • dynamic screen shot 4.JPG
    dynamic screen shot 4.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 93
  • dynamic screen shot 5.JPG
    dynamic screen shot 5.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 106
Let me know if you want some other screenshot. I can capture it easily as the Fortec Dynamic is connected to my PC right now. :)

Attachments

• dynamic-signal-meter.jpg
    dynamic-signal-meter.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 109
Let me know if you want some other screenshot. I can capture it easily as the Fortec Dynamic is connected to my PC right now. :)

gillham, why don't you post about the same pictures of the volume working, s and q meter and get a good one of the main installation menu with a sat locked in showing ID like I tried above! Thanks! :)

B~Man

Gillham,

That would be the best way to get pix. As FTABman0 and I have elluded, it is not very easy to take a nice pix of the screen with a simple camera. You have the perfect setup to capture images.

Please post some when you have time. Thanks!

RADAR

Here are a few more screenshots.
EDIT: Starting from top left:
signal meter (that I posted already)
volume low
volume high
info screen (press info twice)
antenna setup (with mux id on top right)
electronic program guide with data
info screen with epg data
power scan (TP locating part)
power scan TP (with more TPs)
power scan results
channel sort options
tp scan screen

Attachments

• dynamic-pscan-chan.jpg
    dynamic-pscan-chan.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 107
  • dynamic-pscan-tp1.jpg
    dynamic-pscan-tp1.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 110
  • dynamic-pscan-tp.jpg
    dynamic-pscan-tp.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 95
  • dynamic-info-guide.jpg
    dynamic-info-guide.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 95
  • dynamic-epg.jpg
    dynamic-epg.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 87
  • dynamic-antenna-setup.jpg
    dynamic-antenna-setup.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 102
  • dynamic-info.jpg
    dynamic-info.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 109
  • dynamic-volume-high.jpg
    dynamic-volume-high.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 109
  • dynamic-volume-low.jpg
    dynamic-volume-low.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 96
  • dynamic-signal-meter.jpg
    dynamic-signal-meter.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 110
  • dynamic-chan-sort.jpg
    dynamic-chan-sort.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 96
  • dynamic-tp-scan.jpg
    dynamic-tp-scan.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
EPG

Radar,
How does your EPG work?? I have my receiver for a couple of monthsand the EPG never worked. I noticed the screen shot of MHZWorld and it had a EPG.
mikelib

EPG is totally dependent on whether the broadcaster sends it down to the receiver..Since most FTA in the US we "arent supposed to be watching" anyway, most broadcasters dont go to the expense to send EPG information to the Fortec..Until they do, the EPG is basically worthless..

Radar,
How does your EPG work?? I have my receiver for a couple of monthsand the EPG never worked. I noticed the screen shot of MHZWorld and it had a EPG.
mikelib

Mike,

We are accessing true FTA channels, mainly feed channels, and they have no need to present EPG information. Those that do, usually only offer indications such as "CURRENT" or weird code name or number. Otherwise it displays "NO INFORMATION".

CURRENT merely means that something is being broadcast, what that is, who knows. It is like a grab bag at a garage sale type of situation. There is something in there, but what it is, is anyones guess.

If they were to send any EPG information at all, I would rather they state "ACTIVE" rather than "CURRENT" as it makes more sense to me personally.

Otherwise, there is no EPG for FTA channels. Just as TimLones stated above.

RADAR

thanks guys,
I will stop trying to get an epg, on my Fortec Dynamic. I must be looking at too many Tele-Satellite Magazines' review and seeing all of those European STB that show EPG.

thanks guys,
I will stop trying to get an epg, on my Fortec Dynamic. I must be looking at too many Tele-Satellite Magazines' review and seeing all of those European STB that show EPG.

Mikelib,

You can subscribe to a magazine called "On Sat" that provides you with all sorts of EPG information... It is about as thick as a NYC phonebook! :) There are also on-line resource / information data bases that offer program guides for may channels. Zap-2-It and IMDB and others. If that helps you.

I am sure that there are others.

AcWxRADAR

Now that is a way of posting screenshots gillham!

I have a couple ways to get them into the computer via S Video, but never really had a need to watch my boxes on the laptop or the PC.

Great captures!

The EPG, on another note will not work on FTA stuff. I am not going to say entirely, since I have seen a couple things on FTA work but few channels in the clear rarely do it.

The EPG is not intended for us and is an exclusive thing for the DBS style broadcasting side. You can see your EPG work like on NASA E* 119 W; it will download the EPG for you and see what is coming on next or the next week or so. The NASA EPG is not always right though for I have seen sometimes that the shows are wrong in the guide.

Anyway, again nice screen captures gillham!

K E V I N

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)