Fortec Star Dynamic Installation Results

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
FTABman0,

I will try that BAUD rate and see how it reacts when trying to upload the channel list first. If is is alright there, then I might chance downloading with that scheme.

Does yours take off right away, or did you have to reboot the receiver before the upload process would engage?

RADAR

Yea, it is not to say fast but it takes off in a good pace!

No never had to flip the receiver off then on with a reboot for it to start.

I just tried it the the Dynamic, worked like a charm with 9600 BD on the channel list! Give it a try!!

B~Man
ftabman0_avitar-cordoba.gif

Then I went on to upload the channel list from the receiver, but here I ran into a snag. When the loader screen opened, I selected port 4 and it stated READY. But, when I clicked on UPLOAD, it didn't do anything. It just said TURN STB ON.

I think it means this literally. E.g. have the STB off (via switch) and then start the download. Then turn the STB on. During the startup process the loader can start talking to the STB's boot loader.

You might also be able to go to a transfer menu and select "upload channels" or similar. That is normally for receiver to receiver transfers, but can handshake properly with the PC loader on some models.

I think it is safest for sending software or channels to the STB if you use the power switch method. For downloading FROM the STB, I think the "come out of standby via remote" is probably fine.

Yea, it is not to say fast but it takes off in a good pace!

No never had to flip the receiver off then on with a reboot for it to start.

I just tried it the the Dynamic, worked like a charm with 9600 BD on the channel list! Give it a try!!

B~Man

I think it means this literally. E.g. have the STB off (via switch) and then start the download. Then turn the STB on. During the startup process the loader can start talking to the STB's boot loader.

You might also be able to go to a transfer menu and select "upload channels" or similar. That is normally for receiver to receiver transfers, but can handshake properly with the PC loader on some models.

I think it is safest for sending software or channels to the STB if you use the power switch method. For downloading FROM the STB, I think the "come out of standby via remote" is probably fine.

Thanks to both of you for you input on this subject. I am going to test it later. Right now I am watching a show before I hit the sack. I work nights now, so it is almost my bed time (middle of the afternoon, this really bites!) Hopefully I don't have to keep working this schedule for too long.

I really do appreciate the advice and suggestions!

I hope that this entire thread will be of good use to others who buy this or the similarly related Fortec models.

RADAR

I hope that this entire thread will be of good use to others who buy this or the similarly related Fortec models.

I ordered one yesterday, based in a large amount on your thread. I've been wanting to try out the Mercury II / Dynamic STB for some time and possibly trickle down my SD unit to a family member. Your thread was the impetus I needed to order up. :)

Thanks to both of you for you input on this subject.

I really do appreciate the advice and suggestions!

RADAR

You are very Welcome! :)

The thread was very informative and great information on the Dynamic! You did a great job with the review of it! Thread should be moved to FTA/MPEG2 Equipment Reviews Section!!

You put a lot of time in this Radar, I forgot some of those features myself until you posted another 'moving right along"! Did a fantastic job my man!! :up :up :up

K E V I N

I ordered one yesterday, based in a large amount on your thread. I've been wanting to try out the Mercury II / Dynamic STB for some time and possibly trickle down my SD unit to a family member. Your thread was the impetus I needed to order up. :)

The Mercury II is about the same as the Dynamic. I own both of them and if I had to choose between them both, it would be the Dynamic!

It is a better version of the Mercury II anyway, just look at the Dynamic as a car with aftermarket parts inside and neater case to make it better!

They are basically the same!

gillham, you won’t be disappointed! She’s a keeper!

I just ordered another one from Sadoun in the M2 Motorized Bundle over the weekend!

K E V I N

Well I did some more experimenting with the Dynamic tonite and after a few months of it I hope I can exchange it. I deleted everything out of it and started fresh. I started with Cband by trying to find GEB on 101w I think it should be at 3716 V 4340. No luck. So I searched thru every satellite shown in the receiver. It finally showed up on 121W as 3714 H 4340. So I deleted those tP's and tried to store either one at 101W and scan from there....No signal at all. I gave up and went back and restored from my backup. Everything is back on 99W the satellite I manually set up. It shows as 3715H 4344 there. I also tried to blind scan at 91W and it found nothing so looks like the blind scan isn't working now. I'm guessing there are too many similar TP's on different satellites so it doesn't find them on the proper satellite. It's weird that I'm the only one having this issue so far. Guess If it wasn't for bad luck somedays I wouldn't have any at all. Thanks! Blind

Radar, Fortec Star is calling the Dynamic now, retired! See my thread on the new replacement model: The Fortec Star Fortune!

B~Man

FTABman0,

Thank you for the heads up on that. If Sadoun runs out of stock on the Dynamic, hopefully he will be getting the Fortunes in. It sounds as though the only unique difference is the front panel controls, so either unit will hopefully provide the same operation results.

RADAR

Really? That's what I use a ViewSat MaxHD for.

Jdbob,

I believe you. But, there are many of other HD boxes being advertised and sold all over the place that are going for $400 and $700 or higher. They are not being sold in huge numbers on the North American market just to get 2-5 HD PBS channels. The people who are buying these units are either dim-witted and don't realize what they are being sold or they are purposely buying them for an entirely different purpose.

I cannot imagine anyone being involved in Ham Radio, C-Band and Ku-Band satellite signals and electronics being dim-witted.

I am sure, however, that the evolution of HD on the FTA satellites in Ku or Ka band is going to accelerate the growth of the industry in this area. I don't think that the C-Band satellites will help much here, though. That is just my opinion based on logic... The dish size and expense of the equipment and skill required to set up is going to limit the demand in this direction.

RADAR

I believe you. But, there are many of other HD boxes being advertised and sold all over the place that are going for $400 and $700 or higher. They are not being sold in huge numbers on the North American market just to get 2-5 HD PBS channels. The people who are buying these units are either dim-witted and don't realize what they are being sold or they are purposely buying them for an entirely different purpose.

Many (most?) HD receivers were being purchased to pirate Pay TV HD signals. Here on Satellite Guys people are watching FTA sports feeds that are very often in HD, not just PBS & sometimes NBC.

The $700 QualiTV (much cheaper now) is to watch 4:2:2 SD/HD channels like NBC on 103W and feeds in 4:2:2. That is too rich for my blood, but others have more hobby money! :) Still, compare that with a couple years of NFL Sunday Ticket and the price doesn't look so bad. And you can watch more than American football.

Also there are more full time HD channels on C-Band, so if you have C & Ku then an HD receiver is much more practical. Especially with a builtin ATSC tuner.

Many (most?) HD receivers were being purchased to pirate Pay TV HD signals. Here on Satellite Guys people are watching FTA sports feeds that are very often in HD, not just PBS & sometimes NBC.

The $700 QualiTV (much cheaper now) is to watch 4:2:2 SD/HD channels like NBC on 103W and feeds in 4:2:2. That is too rich for my blood, but others have more hobby money! :) Still, compare that with a couple years of NFL Sunday Ticket and the price doesn't look so bad. And you can watch more than American football.

Also there are more full time HD channels on C-Band, so if you have C & Ku then an HD receiver is much more practical. Especially with a builtin ATSC tuner.

Thanks Gillham,

I do stand corrected. I didn't realize that the sports feeds may be broadcast in HD (I don't watch sports except for fishing) and I don't have a C-Band setup currently. So I guess there are more legitimate uses then I believed. I have been telling my friends not to waste their money on this (HD FTA receivers) right now and to wait a while, but maybe my sport minded friends would appreciate this avenue.

Is there a NatGeo channel on C-Band that is HD?

All this is a subject for another post, however. I would like to keep this particular post's theme on the Fortec Dynamic and now the Fortune model (or the MERC II) if we can. I apologize for opening the door for this, but it was not my intention to discuss that specific avenue.

I don't mind a short sidebar, but I did spend a lot of time posting about the results from this great little SD receiver and I think we should keep the discussion to that realm since it seems to have been received so well thus far.

Thanks everyone.

RADAR

Radar

can you pick Satmex 5-6 from your location?

by the way great thread, thanks.

Valdelocc,

Yes, I can pick up both. However, I only get 4 FTA TV from 113.0 SatMex 6. DA-I, HWAZAN, MACTV and BVN-TV and 16 radio channels.

On 116.8 I can pull in two TV channels, but I don't know what they are as they have no video or audio.

I am going to try to post some pictures of the screen image if they will turn out in a few posts. Take a look.

RADAR

Popcorn,

Thanks for bringing that up. I will post a few here if I can...

RADAR

Attachments

• fortec 006.jpg
    fortec 006.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 89
  • fortec 011.jpg
    fortec 011.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 84
  • fortec 012.jpg
    fortec 012.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 87
  • fortec 013.jpg
    fortec 013.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 86
Here area few of actual video, please note these pix were taken using a cellphone camera and most of the images were in motion at the time I snapped the photo. They really do not do justice to the actual video presentation, but it is all I have for taking pictures with. The video quality is musch better thatn it appears in the pix.

The picture of the stir fry was just being slid onto the platter and the last one with the man and the boy in the field, they look good, but they were turning the wheat or rice. The girl in the newscast was fairly stationary.

RADAR

Attachments

• fortec 010.jpg
    fortec 010.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 93
  • fortec 009.jpg
    fortec 009.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 83
  • fortec 008.jpg
    fortec 008.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 94
  • fortec 007.jpg
    fortec 007.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Here are a few more video pictures taken with different room lighting.

The worst thing about taking the pictures with my cell camera is that if I get too far back (proper viewing distance for a 37" TV) the picture of the TV turns WHITE and blobbish. If I get too close, you see the retrace lines in the photo.

These photos here were ok, but still not true to reality.

RADAR

Attachments

• video on Fortec 002.jpg
    video on Fortec 002.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 75
  • video on Fortec 003.jpg
    video on Fortec 003.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 82
  • video on Fortec 004.jpg
    video on Fortec 004.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 76
  • video on Fortec 005.jpg
    video on Fortec 005.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 77
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)