Fortec Star Dynamic Installation Results

Status
Please reply by conversation.
However, one item that I do not like is how the sats are lined up in the list. I would prefer them in numerical order, but they are either random or alphabetical by sat name.

RADAR

I have a Fortec Dynamic, and if I am understanding you correctly... You can change the sort to be by Satellite location. If you are watching a channel press the "ok/list" button, then the Yellow button, then you may have to push the channel up or down button until you can select "satellite" press ok. This is how you can change the sort order, there are other sort option avaible too.

Edit:
Ha, looks like should have kept reading the thread... Turbosat answered this an hour ago.

Hispasat 30.0w Brought me:

TV 7 / radio 10

I am going to have to verify this. I don't think this is right. I thought 30.0W was shooting through the house. I gotta check on this one when I am done. If it is correct, WooHoo!

Next Ku band sat in line is Nimiq 1 at 91.0W. Dang, I hate to spend the time to scan these pay birds, but, well... There might be a few freebies there! Maybe their running a special on some channel.

These channels aren't much fun to me, I can look at a guide and know what channels they have! No mystery there... So what's the fun in that? That takes all the fun away!

Oh well, I'll see what comes popping in anyway.

RADAR

Last edited:
Radar,
You can make the satellite list go by location, but for the moment I cannot recall how I did it, lol. I'll let you know when I find it again. Mine list by orbital location because that other way, like you, was bugging me. And the + sign when you're scanning just means it found a new TP that wasn't already stored in the box. If you're using the latest firmware, you should be able to reorder the sats the way you want, I can't recall if it would do that on earlier versions.

EDIT: OK, here ya go : Menu+System Setup+Others >Satellite Sort=Position. That'll put you right.

Thanks Turbo! You very kind man! Just what RADAR need!

:) :) ;)

I cannot change schemes now as that would screw me up while "in process", but I will change it afterwards, thanks!

RADAR

Nimiq 1` @ 91.0W resulted in:
16 TV and 15 radio channels

Nimiq 2 @ 82.0W resulted in:
No ITC TV but 8 Radio channels

Heading to INTEL 1R @ 45.0W now. I will be suprised if I pick up anything here.

RADAR

Nothing on 45.0 that I can pick up.

Moving to Intelsat 3R @ 43.1W to see what is there. I know I have at least one channel to pick here. I am hoping this receiver will find it. It is a strong one. There are a few other weak channels that it might not catch, but I will see.

I think it captured that signal, at least it picked out the TP already. I wish there was a quality level meter displayed when it scans the TP, just for reference. I do like the status or progress bar graph, though. I like it better than the round graph personally. Just a matter of taste or personal style though.

RADAR

Last edited:
Well, I am not too sure on this sat, 43.0W. I pulled in more active TPs, but not the same channels and not the one I was looking for. Unless it scanned in under an odd name. I will have to check. The sats to my far east like 45 and lower have always been a bugger for me because of the location of the house and the trees.

Going to try Intelsat 9 @ 58W now.

RADAR

Last edited:
In the case of AMC 4 12116, the broadcaster is using an old PowerVu encoder which places a flag on the channel indicating that it is encrypted with PowerVu, even when the encryption is not enabled.

Uplinkers often reuse the same PIDs in the MUX for multiple services (selling slots of time to different part-time content providers). One content provider may require encryption and the next may use a different encryption type or need no encryption and be available as a FTA signal.

Galaxy 19, 12177, CCN encrypts some programming as a PPV service, but allows other content (often replays or content to attract potential subscribers) to be viewed without subscription.

Brian,

I will remember that. Thanks for the information. I have also noticed on one or two particular satellites, the channels that I have scanned in using ALL mode that showed up as encrypted will sometimes be ITC and the next time I look at them they will be encrypted again (or pay scheme). I wonder if the TP is leased by more than one company and they share rights or time share it? Or if they encrypt certain broadcasts and allow some stuff to be ITC?

Seen it quite a few times. If I remember or notice which channels and sat, I will record them for reference. They were not channels that I would normally watch, so no concern of mine. But some folks might like to know.

RADAR

Thanks Sadoun!
What does it mean if the TP appears, but does not show the [+] sign? Is that TP already in the list but was found to be INACTIVE at the time of the scan?

RADAR

That means the TP is active, but it is already previously stored in the receiver's menu. It is not a new addition.

Gillham,

Is there a way to rename the sats in the Fortec? If there was, I would simply remove the alpha names and replace them with the orbital position numerically, then they might line up.

Or is there an editor for the Fortec available?

RADAR

Yes, Fortec have a editor for the Dynamic, it's the same then the Mercury II, but you can't rename the sats. If you rename the sat with the editor it give you only a new sat.
To Rename it with the remote.
Menu>go to Utility, Ok on Edit Satellite, Ok on Edit Satellite again, now hit one of the numerical button and you can rename the sat.

Saludos
Hiebert

Yes, Fortec have a editor for the Dynamic, it's the same then the Mercury II, but you can't rename the sats. If you rename the sat with the editor it give you only a new sat.
To Rename it with the remote.
Menu>go to Utility, Ok on Edit Satellite, Ok on Edit Satellite again, now hit one of the numerical button and you can rename the sat.

Saludos
Hiebert

Thank You Hiebert!

I am hoping that this thread helps other users in some way. I am picking up information for my own use along the way, but any other new owners can refer to this for information in the future and this will be a help to them.

Besides that, It is just fun!

RADAR

Had to take a break for a visitor, my sister. She just left so I am back at it now.

Moved on to SBS 6 @ 74.0W
1 TV - ONN

Moving on to Telstar 11 @ 37.5 - This shouldn't pull anything in but I will try.

Nothing available for me on this yet.

Next bird in line with Ku is Telstar 12 @ 15.0W, but I cannot scan that because it is below the horizon for me. Now I have wrapped back around in the list to the satellites that I had started with. Let me see if I missed any and double check on 30.0W as well.

RADAR

Last edited:
As I was doublechecking to ensure that I didn't miss anything I find that Galaxy 16 @ 99.0W is shown in the list as a C-Band only sat and I know that there is Ku available here. Same as Galaxy 14 @ 125.0W. It doesn't show the Ku Galaxy 21 sat in the list.

I changed the LNBF L.O. frequency to 10.750 and set up for USALS and DiSEqC 1.0 port 4 as that is how I have the switch hardwired. Going to try to scan 125.0W now.

It is scanning the Ku band frequencies and has logged in 12096v, 12103v, 12139v, 12180v and 11959h so far. The last three V TPs are listed on Lyngsat, but I don't know what the first or last TP is. At the very end, it scanned in a bunch of H TPs (must be the feeds).

It resulted in picking up 13 TV channels but no radio.

RADAR

Last edited:
Now scanning Galaxy 16 @ 99.0W

Picked up 4 TV and 5 radio channels.

Well, I think I am missing a few satellites here. I know I didn't scan 77.0W, 107.3W, 111.1w, 113.0W, 118.8W and 127.0W but I still think I am short a couple more. Not sure which ones yet, I will have to look at my Coolsat list.

So far I have tallied 409 TV and 257 Radio channels which are ITC signals. Of course, if you were following along you would have observed Brian's comments regarding false flags which result in a channel not being scanned as FTA or ITC when it may actually be so. So maybe I am missing a few here and there.

Going to try a little more hunting now, but I think I am almost done.

RADAR

Last edited:
One thing that I like is that your initial scan settings or parameters remain as you go about selecting the satellites to scan. They do not default to some predetermined settings that you have to change each time you scan a new sat! This is nice. It seems like a very small thing, but when you sit down and scan the entire sky at once, I am sure you would notice the benefit of not having to reset each feature for each individual satellite.

RADAR

I did not pick up the RTN feed channels on AMC 9 during the Power Scan. But, I know they are there. So I went to the TP scan and scrolled through the list of TPs which were logged in. 11.735H with SR 4440 was not there.

I just popped on down to the Frequency line and started typing the TPs frequency in, then scrolled down to the symbol rate and typed that in too, then pressed SCAN FTA Channels and within 2 seconds both RTN channels popped in!

I am showing 80-83% on the signal level reading for this TP and 26-37% on the quality meter.

Ohhhhhhh! So very nice!!! :up:)

RADAR

I can now add the two RTN channels to my list along with three feeds from 107.3 and nine radio channels from 111.1W.

Absolutely, I am very impressed with this Fortec Star Dynamic, it definitely is Dynamic!

It does everything that you expect it to. No motor control problems, no squirrely results. Not too keen on the signal and quality meters though, they are a little too jumpy so they are probably sampling more in real time than they are averaging. Which can be good or bad depending upon how you like to view it.

I will definitely be proud to say I own this receiver! It required quite a long time to Power Scan 27 or 28 satellites, but I did take the longest avenue possible just to see what it entailed. Barring a few interruptions (like sisters and sleeping and having to eat) as well as investigating stuff and chatting, it wasn't too bad at all. Calculating it out, it probably required 5 1/2 hours to power scan 28 satellites total in real performance time

Now that I have the TPs logged in through the Power Scan, I can go back and AUTO SCAN and see how fast that is.

RADAR

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)