Fortec Star Dynamic Installation Results

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Finished the scan on Galaxy 13 / Horizons 1 and found:
6 Radio channels

Moving to Galaxy 3C @ 95.0W

While this is scanning, I want to comment on the display of the screen. I think I like my Coolsat 5K better in this regard.. The display on the Fortec looks more professional, but on some menus it is more difficult for me to see some of the items displayed. This is especially true when the text is small and set against the blue textured background. In the area where they display the TPs and channels that are scanned in, that looks great to me (well, I mean that I can personally see it very well). For me, the contrast of unique colors can often make it very difficult to see.

RADAR

Last edited:
On Galaxy 3C I pulled in:
6 TV / 17 radio channels

Moving on to Galaxy 11 @ 91.0W

Thanks for coming along for the ride guys! Needed someone to keep me company! :) I really wanted to see what this box would do today. To scan all the sats is taking a while, but I gotta know!

So far I am quite pleased. I am not overly impressed compared to my Coolsat 5K, but I am damn well not disappointed by any means. This is a nice little receiver! I haven't detected a problem yet that would make me doubt it. Nothing operational.

RADAR

Panhandler, here is what I am getting on Galaxy 11 @ 91.0W:

10 TV / 8 radio

How does yours compare in NY?

I am going over to Galaxy 26 @ 93.0W and see what I can pick up there now.

RADAR

it's not a bad reciever i'm very happy with it , what i have found as far as going threw the menues it is very user friendly and easy to edit

I am liking it, too. So far. Just getting started, but I can tell that it was designed (formatted or laid out) to be user freindly. I was expecting motor troubles or poor reception or something bad (just because I expect too much) and nadda! It works fine in everything I have checked so far.

The only beefs I have had so far are mostly vision related in the menus. But, that is not too much the receiver's downfall, more my own eyes. he he

RADAR

Radar,
You can make the satellite list go by location, but for the moment I cannot recall how I did it, lol. I'll let you know when I find it again. Mine list by orbital location because that other way, like you, was bugging me. And the + sign when you're scanning just means it found a new TP that wasn't already stored in the box. If you're using the latest firmware, you should be able to reorder the sats the way you want, I can't recall if it would do that on earlier versions.

EDIT: OK, here ya go : Menu+System Setup+Others >Satellite Sort=Position. That'll put you right.

i have noticed one thing as for the quality ( as in signal strength )the fortech is just about half on the scale as to my pans and icon
EDIT: your absolutly right , all the sats are in order now. Thank you Turbosat

i have noticed one thing as for the quality ( as in signal strength )the fortech is just about half on the scale as to my pans and icon

I noticed a great difference in the scaling of the signal level and quality meters compared to my Coolsat. I haven't analyzed this with scrutiny yet, but I can tell that there is a large difference. When I get done scanning I intend to look through the channels and see how the quality compares. That migh have to wait until tomorrow or next weekend, though.

When I get done here with the scanning, I need to run down to the bottom of the hill and visit my brother and see how his C-Band project is going (or went). I think he packed it all in already because of the rain, but at least he can show me the channel lists that he compiled.

I loaned him my 1 M dish and he is applying a C-Band LNBF to it and picking up quite a few channels all across the board. He made his own conical scalar ring and it is working quite well.

Have to get down there as soon as the hill road dries up enough so that I don't slip off into a gorge along the way!

RADAR

Some channels carry a false encryption flag (encoder related issue) even though they are in the clear. AMC 4 KU, 12116 comes to mind.... In the FTA mode, these channels will be filtered out and not propagated to the channel list.

Echostar 9 @ 121W gave me:
1 TV channel and 6 radio channels.

Here comes a good one to test. Galaxy 13 / Horizons 1 @ 127.0W
Got a few channels here with the Coolsat, but all were either encrypted in a format that I couldn't pick out. Would like to pick up something new here. Something FTA, I have it set to FTA only, so at least I dont have to worry about deleting all those channels. I hate doing that with the remote on my Coolsat. It is pretty tedious. So I always change the scan mode to FTA only and then I don't have to mess with it.

Scanning now.

RADAR

Some channels carry a false encryption flag (encoder related issue) even though they are in the clear. AMC 4 KU, 12116 comes to mind.... In the FTA mode, these channels will be filtered out and not propagated to the channel list.

Brian,

I will remember that. Thanks for the information. I have also noticed on one or two particular satellites, the channels that I have scanned in using ALL mode that showed up as encrypted will sometimes be ITC and the next time I look at them they will be encrypted again (or pay scheme). I wonder if the TP is leased by more than one company and they share rights or time share it? Or if they encrypt certain broadcasts and allow some stuff to be ITC?

Seen it quite a few times. If I remember or notice which channels and sat, I will record them for reference. They were not channels that I would normally watch, so no concern of mine. But some folks might like to know.

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts