Fortec Star Dynamic Slave Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
MOst of the receivers I've used require a null modem for computer-receiver but receiver to receiver uses a straight through for some odd reason

I know the Coolsat 5000 does it that way

Thanks Tony, the point was that I did get it to work with the PC cable STB to STB! ;)

B~Man
ftabman0_avitar-cordoba.gif

B.J.: I'm not interested in arguing the topic, just giving my opinion.

I hear ya there; I was just giving a heads up on the Dynamic since most of the guys here have them now. Again B.J. I value everyone’s opinion here and your thoughts are welcome!

I think every member that has helped me in the past knows this as we all should accept thoughts and ideas from everyone! One of the main reasons I joined The Satellite Guys! :up

Just wanted to give guys a heads up if ever they have two of them and want to get all the birds off one to a new one like I did, man that saved alot of time I might add!

The new system is over at its new owner’s house and he thinks it is the cat’s pajamas! He is an old pre 90's C-Bander and was telling me about the big old 12 footer he had back in the day! He said he had to hand crank human motor on his! :eek:

The guy, as all old back in the day C-Banders thought that that was the end of the big satellite era in the mid 80's and never gave it a thought that there were still things up there! How many times have we heard that! :)

Good for us looking for old dishes!! :up

B~Man

Thanks Tony, the point was that I did get it to work with the PC cable STB to STB! ;)

My money says that is a "laplink" style cable. I have the exact same design with a DB9 and DB25 on each end. It is a null modem cable that is designed to let you hook up two PCs whether they had old 25 pin serial or new 9 pin. Initially for desktop to laptop file transfer, hence the name.

If you tone that cable out I'm sure you'll find it is not a straight through cable. Just check pins 2 & 3 on the DB9 ends.

My money says that is a "laplink" style cable. I have the exact same design with a DB9 and DB25 on each end. It is a null modem cable that is designed to let you hook up two PCs whether they had old 25 pin serial or new 9 pin. Initially for desktop to laptop file transfer, hence the name.

If you tone that cable out I'm sure you'll find it is not a straight through cable. Just check pins 2 & 3 on the DB9 ends.

Will have to do that and try! All I know gillham, is the regular cable that comes with most of the FTA STB'S did not work with STB to STB but the cable in the picture did work! Something is not the same here! Again, it worked and the Sat list came off and firmware cloned fine with the PC cable, the old Coolsat cable was a dead hookup!

B~Man

I absolutely agree. The cable that connects 2 PCs is definately a null modem, and the Coolsat cable is most likely a straight through.

The reason I'm responding though is that the end of your post is pretty important if you have one of those 4 ended cables you describe, ie the part about using the "DB9 ends". I generally wire my own cables, but once was wiring a cable to go between 9 pin and 25 pin devices. I knew that both the 9 and 25 pin cables use pins 2 and 3 for receive and transmit, but I had never noticed that they are reversed. Ie on the standard 25 pin cable, 2 is transmit and 3 is receive, but on the 9 pin, 2 is receive and 3 is transmit. This had me VERY confused one day. I always check cables with a voltmeter before using them, because few of them tell you what kind of cable they are.
But the bottom line is that in 99.9% of serial devices, you have to connect the send line of one device to the receive line of the other, and if the two devices are the same, then that's when you need a null modem or in this case a simple 3-wire reversing cable. Computers now all have DTE configuration with pin 2 receive (9-pin). This wasn't the case back in the 80s, which resulted in me smoking a computer once. Some receivers have DTE configuration, and some receivers have DCE configuration, which has the reverse, pin 2 transmit (9-pin). To connect two DCEs or two DTEs, you use NULL MODEM. To connect a DTE to DCE, you use straight through.

I got a couple of boxes from SatelliteAV and they do have SatelliteAV and/or Glorystar branding in the menus. The DVR's also auto update and have news from Glorystar on the first 5 channel displays!
:D

RADAR,
I wonder whey the sales outlet's of these boxes do not write a background screen promoting their business in the OSD part of the screen for advertisement! Where it says Fortec Star in the OSD background they could have their own firmware that has the company you bought it from! You know if you never liked it you could always go to the Manufactures website and change it back to factory firmware to get it back looking OEM! :eureka

If it was thought of we would have seen it by now you know! Remember any Gold Sponsors that does this, I thought of it first! :D

B~Man

I got a couple of boxes from SatelliteAV and they do have SatelliteAV and/or Glorystar branding in the menus. The DVR's also auto update and have news from Glorystar on the first 5 channel displays!
:D

Thanks Pop, guess that someone has thought of that idea! I have not yet installed one yet just for Glorystar programming, but I think that is going to be soon for I had someone ask from Clarksburg WV today about "just Glorystar".

So it looks soon I will have my hands on one of them to check out before it gets a new home!

Thanks again Pop!

K E V I N

Radar, yes it has been done before for several years.

We don't usually put our background image (we should :D). We used to do it on the old Coship receiver about 6 years ago.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts