Found 10 ft. dish and will need help...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

xxtornxx

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
usa
I found a 10 ft dish and a Toshiba trx-80 receiver.Had to take apart to move.I would like to get into c-band. Last year Lak7 was very helpful and the rest of this sites members in setting up 33" dish and motor for ku set up thanks again. All is working fine with that set up.Now I am looking into the big dish and will try to get pics.The motor is missing a sat finder on the end of the motor were the magnets go and the lnb looks like ku only says echostar i dont know and will the receiver work in todays signals

and got all paper work from receiver to motor and wireing dig. was bought in 89 from what paper work says. Old owner said he payed $2900.00 for system

Yea, probably C-band only, so also take some pictures of the feedhorn from all angles.
The guys on the forum will tell you exactly what ya got there. - :up

Im trying to upload hope it works

Attachments

• 065.JPG
    065.JPG
    336.1 KB · Views: 276
  • 053.JPG
    053.JPG
    380.1 KB · Views: 277
  • 049.JPG
    049.JPG
    430.1 KB · Views: 314
here is more

Attachments

• 084.JPG
    084.JPG
    260.9 KB · Views: 282
  • 076.JPG
    076.JPG
    352.6 KB · Views: 261
  • 072.JPG
    072.JPG
    316 KB · Views: 218
  • 069.JPG
    069.JPG
    211.4 KB · Views: 219
  • 068.JPG
    068.JPG
    323.8 KB · Views: 213
  • 066.JPG
    066.JPG
    391.2 KB · Views: 241
  • 064.JPG
    064.JPG
    303.7 KB · Views: 227
  • 063.JPG
    063.JPG
    356.4 KB · Views: 216
  • 056.JPG
    056.JPG
    340.5 KB · Views: 246
  • 054.JPG
    054.JPG
    395.2 KB · Views: 245
Going to work be back sunday (trucker) thank for any input on the pics and what direction to move forward on this new project. I will do some painting on the dish befor putting back together.

Well, that motor is a horizon-to-horizon motor/mount.
I see it is made by Ajak, but it's not like my big AJAK-180.
They made three models (that I know of) so...
IRC said:
[17:59] <Linuxman> it is the mid-sized AJAK just like the one on my front porch
[17:59] <Linuxman> the dish is a Winegard Quadstar
[17:59] <voomer> thanks Fred
[17:59] <Anole> can I quote you or will you post?
[17:59] <Linuxman> i had one like it as my original bud
[17:59] <Linuxman> go ahead and quote
Well, there ya go. - :cool:
And both that dish and any H-H motor are generally desirable, so you've got something nice, there.
Equipped for C-band only, as we assumed. With a servo on your feedhorn for selecting polarity.

If you look at other AJAK motor pictures, you'll see that over the magnet wheel, there is a round disc of plastic, with the reed switch on it.
Pretty low tech, so easy to replace. I might even be able to help you with that.

Nice looking dish and the whole polar mount looks really built heavy. If the motor is operable then the reed switch would be simple to replace. If you have the cover that would make it simple but you could band saw one out of aluminum plate.

If the motor is dead (hopefully not) you could remove everything down to the final drive shaft and switch to a linear drive. Off the shelf for about $75-80.

Good luck.

Steve

Thanks for all the replies just got home and have to go lay down tired.Anole you think you can help with switch?and Cadsulfide, and esteveW thanks for any help no i did not try the motor yet not sure how to power up with car batt or try the receiver this and there is no cover for the motor.

eSteveW gave a good suggestion about making a cover out of Al plate oe plexiglass. Without it, it won't last too long. A car battery will work fine for testing the motor. If the motor is not working, don't pitch it, it may very well be repairable. If you have access to an ohmmeter, it is easy to check the reed sensor while the dish is moving. Avoid the temptation of modifying the sensor untill you have a working setup.

Do a search for Stogie's birdview restoration, although you have a different setup, the performance you will get is directly related to the care and attention to detail you spend restoring the parts.

Update....today i worked on the motor and the chains and sprockets were frozen.Then took motor off and took chains off sprokets and wd 40 and moved sprokets by hand east to west put motor back on and it moves slow but getting faster

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    335.8 KB · Views: 189
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    305.9 KB · Views: 206
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    323.4 KB · Views: 232
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    383.2 KB · Views: 219
Nice dish, you will like it when you get it up an running. I went an look at all pictures an with it name "Global Image", that dish is a Channel Master all the way, can tell by the legs rounded with the 3 holes in them, an also the round extra support ring. those CM dishes have great gain to them some of the best for a mess. so xxtroxx great find all the best of luck getting it up an running.

Thanks Cadsulfide and 1captain,I thought i would post pics. and let people know what i have been doing to help others and get help my self .I still need an outlet or some how get a reed switch and cover for the motor were magnets are any ideas. 1captain it sounds like you know what your talking about just to tell what dish it is by the rounded edges on a bar or 3 holes.... very nice

still need an outlet or some how get a reed switch and cover for the motor were magnets are any ideas.

you can cut a round disk out of lexan (is what I would use) plexi glass, or even some type of plastic an the just glue or silcone a sensor on it, right in line where the magnets will spin right under it. the get 3 small bolts with washers to hold it in place on its housing.

AJAK H-H Magnet Wheel Modification

just found this post last month and it shows the motor i am working on that you guys were talking about and i went to skyvision and they wanted $29.95 for that and in last months post you guys said it is $3.00 worth of parts. I whent to http://wejones.ftdata.com/mag-reed-c.jpg and there it was my motor with a peace of plastic over magnet wheel and a sensor glude on can you tell me what sensor and can i get it at radio shack. and where do wires go to.This paper work says that i go with dish. Sensor- High resolution reed sensor provides 9 pulses per deg. or 1,300 pulses from limit to limit. Does the help when getting sensor

What are your skills?
Can you make the plastic disc?
Can you solder?
I can send you a reed switch, but if I have to make the entire assembly, that's a little harder.

Right now, I'm at the point where I need to get the motor off the pole so I can put it on the work bench.
So, testing a new reed switch assembly will be a bit awkward, but it's possible.

yes i can soder and will be able to make a disc just have to know were i can get sensor at radio shack? I read some of your post at AJAK H-H Magnet Wheel Modification and looks easy enough.motor with a peace of plastic(not to thick) over magnet wheel and a sensor glude on can you tell me what sensor and can i get it at radio shack. and where do wires go to.I can do mechanic work but little less in eletronics sensor but can put together with instrution

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)