Lost at "C"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bloorp

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 4, 2009
Arkansas
Pardon my ignorance but I am new to the BUD world. I have a 12' SAMI mesh dish that was here when I bought the house. With DTV just over the horizon and no channels predicted to serve my area I picked up a GI DSR 920 in hopes I could get at least something. I connected the receiver and cannot get anything. The dish actuator is working and I set the limits without a problem. The receiver came from California and I am in Arkansas so do I have to reset something? Also don't know where the dish was pointed when the previous owners disconnected their equipment. Any help would be appreciated !

PS: The unit ID is still good

Did you program in the satellites and set polarity to your location?? If not start there.

Followed instructions and still nothing. DC light is also off. Maybe I need to hire a pro for this initial setup? Checked wiring and all is OK from dish to receiver.

You will only get a DC light when Locked on a DC Signal.
In the 4DTV, select Sat G1, Channel 5.
Drive the Dish to the West Limit, then slowly Drive back East, the channel "Classic Arts" should show.

Check in the system info and make sure the receiver has not had the battery die. In the 922 the 1st three numbers of the unit will be 000, it also should match the numbers on the back of the unit. Maybe one of the 920 guys can verify that it is the same. Even if the battery is dead you should still get the analog channels (between 1 and 24). Tune to an analog channel (G1-5 is a place to start) and then bump the dish east and west with the receiver until you have signal quality.

Battery is good and unit ID is intact. Still nothing. I'm thinking maybe a problem with the LNB? Sometimes it searches and sometimes I get static on the screen, but can't find a station. If the dish wasn't pointed at G1 when I hooked it up would that pose a problem? At this point I'm thinking I need a pro to come out and set it up and test everything . I don't have any idea how long the dish has been here, if it may have been knocked out of alignment or what.

Assuming that the dish is close to where it should be (as far as elevation and declination goes) I would try to drive it to W5, pick one of the channels there and rotate the dish on the mount a bit east and west to see if it got bumped out of alignment. Remember the 4DTV receiver is not fast at showing quality, it can take several seconds for it to show. Are you getting good signal strength on the receiver indicating a good connection with the LNB?

Signal strength never goes above 10. I'll try to adjust the dish angle today. I found evidence that it must mave been bumped (bent top section of the mount)

well, another thing to add to the mix is that if the actuator drives the dish quickly and you zoom right past G1, even with the channel set on 5, you may not see the picture change. Maybe the static will change a little, but you may not see the picture. I know that my setup will do that (9.5' mesh with dsr922).
I would grab a compass, use dishpointer.com to find out the compass heading for G1.
Go to the "program sats" screen and tell the thing you want to program sat "G1"
Use the 4dtv to drive the dish close to the heading dishpointer tells you. You may have to keep peeking out the window to do it, but try to get it close to that heading.
put it on channel 5 and slowly 'bump' the dish east, let's say for a total of 100 counts or so.. if you got nothing, bump the dish west 200 counts and see if you get a picture.
now, by 'bump' I mean hit the east (or west) button and let go. On that "program sats" screen you will see that count for the position of the dish.
Mine goes from something like 4200 to 5600 (e to w limits). the "bump" should not increase the count more than say.. 4 or 5.
the analog channel will come in quickly if you find it. a digicipher channel may take a while to lock. so bump the dish. wait a few. bump the dish.. wait a few.

of course, check that the mast is plumb and so on.. and never give up! there are tons of people here who are great at helping get this stuff running again.

HTH

As a last resort, even though the coax to the LNB tested good, I replaced it. WOOHOO ! now a signal strength of 90. Still no channels or picture but at least I have a starting point. Today I'll dig out a compass and see if it is "actually" pointed at G1. And the mounting pole is not level so that needs to be tended to also. All the help from you guys is greatly appreciated, Thanks.

I think it's G1, but haven't found my compass yet to see if I am in at least the right vicinity. And still no DC light.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts