Found new HD DVR!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neutron said:
If I read the specs right is uses Blu-ray technology. I've heard that that technology will be going away. Why spend $1300 on technology that's going away??

$1300 is way too pricey for only just OTA HD. No Thanks.

Read it right. Its not using Blu-ray. the site jusr copares it to the capabilities. We are using the regular burning device. Blu-ray does suck. I mean $20,000 for 20GB on a CD. for what. right? I dont think we would do something stpd. and it is OTA until digital cable and OTA channels help each others out with HD. We have talked to NBC's CEO, they are saying that they are not sharing their HD to cable company for free, but on the other hand cable cant afford it so that is why its OTA for now... the tuner is an HD TUNER. So once other channels become available for HD then you can record that aswell. AS you know HD is just starting. and it will get bigger.

Is there a way to delete or edit commercials from the final HD DVD in the harddrive? What edit utility is included? Do you have pictures of the menus?

Sean Mota said:
I assume that for Playback these DVDs only will play on the HD360 once burned. Is this correct? I would love to see a demonstration. Is there money back guarantee plan if one does not like the product?

Yes we do have a money back guarantee if you are not satisfied. You pay for shipping one way and also a $50.00 restocking fee. We are confident that our system will do what we say it will do.

This seems to be a single tuner system. It think there are cheaper alternatives. I've hardly had an urge or a motivation to off-load the contents...

PS... The title is misleading. You didn't "find" it. You (as in "we") are selling it.

Hong.

the alternative is the Samsung PVR. you dont have the offloading capabilities it is cheeper. $1199.00. you wont pay another $100 for DVD-R, easy upgradable system, will be compatible with firewire as soon as they release the box. And once cable gets HD it will be ready to record and archive that as well in true HD ???? What would you really do??. o yeah Plus it also has HTPC capabilities. does $100 really matter?

Mizee -

I'd like to trust you - but certain things you say don't make any sense and it's making me question your credibility.

For example, what do you mean -

"OTA until digital cable and OTA channels help each others out with HD. We have talked to NBC's CEO, they are saying that they are not sharing their HD to cable company for free, but on the other hand cable cant afford it so that is why its OTA for now... the tuner is an HD TUNER. So once other channels become available for HD then you can record that aswell. AS you know HD is just starting. and it will get bigger"

AND

"And once cable gets HD it will be ready to record and archive that as well in true HD"

This sounds like you don't know what you're talking about.

HD is very available through cable. NBC and otherwise. And OTA is limited to the local networks. It's not like we'll see HBOHD, ESPNHD, or ComedyCentralHD (or new cable channels) in HD OTA.

If this thing will record cable HD - it will need a QAM tuner for unscrambled HD channels or a Cablecard slot for scrambled HD channels.

One more thing - where do you get that Blu-ray will cost $20,000!!!

It's was released in Japan and I believe it's running at about $2500. It's expected to be much lower once it debuts in the US next year.

deArgila said:
One more thing - where do you get that Blu-ray will cost $20,000!!!

It's was released in Japan and I believe it's running at about $2500. It's expected to be much lower once it debuts in the US next year.

"License fee: 1st Category US$30,000, 2nd Category US$20,000, Maximum fee US$60,000 for 3 or more categories"

This is from the sony website. you do need this to be able to play write and rewrite blu-ray..... right? look at it. c you are looking at next year price. but blu-ray wont even make it then. because it is too expensive to begin with. people would buy a double sided 8.5GB double layer cd over one sided 20GB for 1000% cheeper. I know you would

deArgila said:
Mizee -

I'd like to trust you - but certain things you say don't make any sense and it's making me question your credibility.

For example, what do you mean -

"OTA until digital cable and OTA channels help each others out with HD. We have talked to NBC's CEO, they are saying that they are not sharing their HD to cable company for free, but on the other hand cable cant afford it so that is why its OTA for now... the tuner is an HD TUNER. So once other channels become available for HD then you can record that aswell. AS you know HD is just starting. and it will get bigger"

AND

"And once cable gets HD it will be ready to record and archive that as well in true HD"

This sounds like you don't know what you're talking about.

HD is very available through cable. NBC and otherwise. And OTA is limited to the local networks. It's not like we'll see HBOHD, ESPNHD, or ComedyCentralHD (or new cable channels) in HD OTA.

If this thing will record cable HD - it will need a QAM tuner for unscrambled HD channels or a Cablecard slot for scrambled HD channels.

First HBOHD is only an upscaled DVD quality. Why do you think they say HD content. I'm not telling you to kick off your cable I mean I cant live without cable as well. but I'm just letting you know what would be the difference if you recorded cable HD. It will not come out on OTA either. Recording from the standard cable right now is scrambled that is why we cant do it right now. But once they do release the firewire out that is not encrypted which they will. then they will release true HD QUALITY not CONTENT. Do you get what I'm saying. ESPN in recorded in HD so that is true HD. I'm talking about cable channels in general. Just like the upcoming Olympics will be and will only be distributed in OTA only. See what cable does is convert the analog to digital and HD channels upscales it. Why do you think some channels look like crap when it gets too bright...??? because its upscaled.

I see what you are saying to an extent, but it is my understanding that HBO transfers the movies directly from the prints. Since film is a higher resolution (don't know if resolution should be used to descrive film), they actually downconvert the film to 1080i. Also some movies were recorded with HD cameras i.e. SW2 Attack of the Clones. The "brightness" you refer to is the way the director filmed it for effect similar to the different color schemes like Traffic, unless you have a tv that has brightness to high. I could be wrong but i'm sure someone on the forum will know for sure.

I think this thread needs to be closed as it sounds like Spam. This thread is already being discussed in the HDTV talk forum anyway. No need to have it here too.

I dont think its our plasma, LCD or projector. We tried alot of ways over here. The brightness im taking about it it gets washed out. we tested alot of stuff to get this just right because as you know HD is still very small. and its still growing.. for now this is the best. we have seen. There can be something else out there in the corner of some alley! :). Just wanted to get the word our about what is going on in HD recording.

Mizee said:
First HBOHD is only an upscaled DVD quality. Why do you think they say HD content. I'm not telling you to kick off your cable I mean I cant live without cable as well. but I'm just letting you know what would be the difference if you recorded cable HD. It will not come out on OTA either. Recording from the standard cable right now is scrambled that is why we cant do it right now. But once they do release the firewire out that is not encrypted which they will. then they will release true HD QUALITY not CONTENT. Do you get what I'm saying. ESPN in recorded in HD so that is true HD. I'm talking about cable channels in general. Just like the upcoming Olympics will be and will only be distributed in OTA only. See what cable does is convert the analog to digital and HD channels upscales it. Why do you think some channels look like crap when it gets too bright...??? because its upscaled.

Ok -thanks for clarifying. Now I know FOR SURE you don't know what you're talking about.

Just because something isn't filmed on video using HD doesn't mean it's not High Definition. High Definition can also be optained from film transfers, using the original film masters (which have much HIGHER resolution than HD).

Regardless, firewire won't change a thing. It's not that HBO is "holding back" it's supposed "true HD" until firewire is available - which, by the way, it is!

And cable HD channels are the same as OTA channels - sometimes with even higher bandwidth rates because they get their feed via fiber directly from the network - and don't have to share OTA bandwidth with SD subchannels.

If it looks like crap to you - something is wrong with your equipment or you're not watching an HD show. Some channels are upconverted, yes - and some HD channels sometimes show SD programming upconverted. But that doesn't mean HD isn't available in "true" form via cable.

As for blu-ray - you must be quoting manufacture's cost or something to obtain licenses. That cost is subsidized by their sales - but that still doesn't change the fact that when Blu-ray is released next year, it shouldn't cost the consumer but about $1000.

And, by the way, Blu-ray discs are 50 GB for dual-sided, 25 GB for single.

http://www.blu-ray.com/

Do some research.

PS - And the craziest thing you said is that the HD feed from the Olympics will ONLY be available OTA. That is A FLAT OUT LIE. Any cable company that carries their local NBC station in HD can and will produce the HD feed for the Olympics.

Ok sure, I dont know what im talking about. Right now the firewire is available I know but a clean un-encrypted line in not right? Tell me how are going to Record a encrypted HD channel? Umm let me think decrypting it right. which is illigal. Mybe you wouldn't mind that but some people do. Also I know films have higher quality than HD but how about all the other channels. But who will and how will you film all the movies shows and news and whatever else you needs to film if the high quality HD cameras from sony is not in stock and is too expensive to get for film makes anyways. That is why they use tons of computers to get the digital version of this. right? Read about Lord of the rings for Finding Nemo. Which cost about $1M because of the converiton of their HD quality and detail... so dont say i dont know what im talking about. You are talking about a totally different subject. About Films and what not. We are talking about the GENERAL CHANNELS!!!! To washed out cant occur with none HD channels It wont even show widescreen unless its converted ofcourse which will get darker. Washed out can occur if you are upconverting pixels or detailed colors.

Fine lets compare. Here is a picture from OTA. Its an ok Picture. Try to get the best on off your HBOHD. or anything that is from TV. that is HD.

Attachments

• snapshot0035-god-450.jpg
    snapshot0035-god-450.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 153
  • snapshot0038-god-450.jpg
    snapshot0038-god-450.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 162
Mizee said:
Ok sure, I dont know what im talking about. Right now the firewire is available I know but a clean un-encrypted line in not right? Tell me how are going to Record a encrypted HD channel? Umm let me think decrypting it right. which is illigal. Mybe you wouldn't mind that but some people do. Also I know films have higher quality than HD but how about all the other channels. But who will and how will you film all the movies shows and news and whatever else you needs to film if the high quality HD cameras from sony is not in stock and is too expensive to get for film makes anyways. That is why they use tons of computers to get the digital version of this. right? Read about Lord of the rings for Finding Nemo. Which cost about $1M because of the converiton of their HD quality and detail... so dont say i dont know what im talking about. You are talking about a totally different subject. About Films and what not. We are talking about the GENERAL CHANNELS!!!! To washed out cant occur with none HD channels It wont even show widescreen unless its converted ofcourse which will get darker. Washed out can occur if you are upconverting pixels or detailed colors.

How do you unencrypt it? With the use of a cable company HD box - that's how! You're telling me "your" box will decrypt encrypted cable? Right now, you can rent a cable company box, and use firewire to offload content to a DVHS in HD.

And if you're talking about "general channels" - what's the point of recording them in "high definition." Are you trying to tell me that this box will convert "general channels" to high definition?

The bottom line is this ...

If you want an HD-DVR for OTA - get a LG-3410A. It also has a QAM tuner for unencrypted cable channels (including HD). And it has a firewire port for offloading content - and you can get one for $800 online. Or wait for the Sony or Motorola or Mits that are coming this fall.

If you want to make dvd copies of HD - wait for Blu-ray or the HD-DVD from the DVD forum. At least you'll have a supported format and backing from the studios (so you can buy pre-recorded disc).

Don't get me wrong - it seems like this thing has it's niche - as a fill-in until more viable products come out. But I hesitate to pull the trigger considering all the misinformation the sales person seems to have.

Mizee said:
Fine lets compare. Here is a picture from OTA. Its an ok Picture. Try to get the best on off your HBOHD. or anything that is from TV. that is HD.

Ever hear of HDNet? INHD? DiscoveryHD?

HD channels available on CABLE - look every bit as good. Let me see if I can locate some stills.

Out of curiosity - do you know what OTA stands for?

Here's one for DiscoveryHD ..

http://feldoncentral.2150.com/Discovery/large/Insectia_02.jpg

deArgila said:
How do you unencrypt it? With the use of a cable company HD box - that's how! You're telling me "your" box will decrypt encrypted cable? Right now, you can rent a cable company box, and use firewire to offload content to a DVHS in HD.

And if you're talking about "general channels" - what's the point of recording them in "high definition." Are you trying to tell me that this box will convert "general channels" to high definition?

The bottom line is this ...

If you want an HD-DVR for OTA - get a LG-3410A. It also has a QAM tuner for unencrypted cable channels (including HD). And it has a firewire port for offloading content - and you can get one for $800 online. Or wait for the Sony or Motorola or Mits that are coming this fall.

If you want to make dvd copies of HD - wait for Blu-ray or the HD-DVD from the DVD forum. At least you'll have a supported format and backing from the studios (so you can buy pre-recorded disc).

Don't get me wrong - it seems like this thing has it's niche - as a fill-in until more viable products come out. But I hesitate to pull the trigger considering all the misinformation the sales person seems to have.

DVHS.. Waist of money. Im sorry Im not making you look stupid. Actually you have right info dont get me worng. We have the DVHS in our demo room it sucks. Im not telling you that i can decrypt it like i said it cant do it because of the cable box is still encrypted. But here is the deal. Comming in the future the firewire will be an unencrypted line like example a DVI passtrough. Something like that. from the cable box. Go hook up your cable box to your DVHS and see if it will record. If it does then I missed a pointer from my research. once its said and done what you are saying is old stuff. VHS? 600-1500 for VCR? or excuse me DVHS...

how much extra did you get those channels for again..??? see not everyone has them... LIKE I SAID GENERAL CHANNELS. And also Like I said for now its cable is encrypted but once its clean and not.... then we can record it aswell. so there is nothing to worry about right? I mean your cant do anything about encryption right?

What the hell are you talking about!? What are these "general channels" you're talking about - name them.

PS - and YES, you can hook up firewire from a cable box and record it in HD with a DVHS. That's the whole point!

PPS - you still didn't answer my question - do you know what OTA stands for?

PPPS - Cable that's encrypted WILL NEVER be unencrypted unless you have a cable company box or one that supports Cablecard - this box is neither. It will NEVER be able to record HD via cable on its own. NEVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)