Fox Blocks Millions of DISH Customers

But in the real world, the one who takes the most damage is the provider. The vast majority of viewers only know suddenly the company they pay to watch TV isn't showing them the channels they're paying for. Period. They don't get pissed off at Fox or ABC or the RSN, they get pissed off at the company they just paid their monthly bill to. Their neighbor with (other provider) is watching their shows, but they can't.They do not give a damn about negotiations, they just want to get home from work, eat dinner, and watch TV.
Right. And both the MVPD and channel owner know that the MVPD will get most of the blame from customers, just as his happening here. So logically, it is more advantageous for the channel owner to have the channels removed. I side with logic in saying that chances are it is Fox and Sinclair that had the channels removed.

Interesting commercials on local fox today that fox did about dish taking everything, as it starts with channels being taken. I am able to watch it via ota. They encourage dish people to switch, but if you don’t have ota how are you really making a impact on dish customers

Didn't Disney acquire News Corp? Or was the Sports arm spun out separately to avoid Anti-Trust issues with Disney's ownership of ESPN?

I guess one bright spot is I can't watch my Purdue Boilermakers get trounced on BTN.

Reactions: pattykay
Funny....all the talking about disputes on Dish & Direct...Just had a scroll startup across the bottom of my local NBC affiliate during the race about a dispute brewing with Spectrum Cable in Charlotte.

Funny....all the talking about disputes on Dish & Direct...Just had a scroll startup across the bottom of my local NBC affiliate during the race about a dispute brewing with Spectrum Cable in Charlotte.

Yes, CBS here in Tampa slated to go 1AM Tuesday Spectrum.

Yes it was flexed. Our local O&O FOX station was not too happy about this move by the NFL but at least Viking fans could see the game until next week if this dispute is not resolved.

That explains why no teams announced in the guide for the 2nd game on CBS here.

Yes it was flexed. Our local O&O FOX station was not too happy about this move by the NFL but at least Viking fans could see the game until next week if this dispute is not resolved.
It was flexed, but this was announced when the TV schedules came put months ago. Had nothing to do with this dispute.

I saw the same scroll on the NBC Portland OR affiliate. Just before that another scroll that said this channel may go dark on Dish in November.

If “forced bundling” means what I think it does then we should all be extremely grateful to Dish for standing up to this practice. Let me explain.

The most popular and most watched channels available today are the local channels, the “big four” (CBS, FOX, NBC, ABC). All major sports leagues will put their prime games as well as many playoff and championship games on one of these four channels. Other large events, awards shows, popular drama and comedy shows, etc., are also often aired on these networks which either own multiple cable channels or are themselves owned by a company that owns many cable networks.

Now, imagine you’re a network like Fox and trying to stay relevant in this ever changing landscape of cord-cutting and cord-shaving. You need to ensure your primary property (broadcast network) remains a huge cash cow as well continue to grow the rest of your portfolio of channels (FS1, Big10, etc.). On top of that, you also have to maximize profits year after year which is, of course, the ultimate goal of any publicly-traded company.

So if your a network with those goals and pressures, why on earth would you NOT attempt to bundle your less-popular channels with your most-popular channels? You are, in essence, holding your most popular property hostage while demanding maximum revenue for your less popular properties. Businesses do this all the time!

If Dish gives into this demand then imagine what it would do to the future TV landscape? Think no ABC without also carrying ESPN, Disney, and other Disney-owned channels at whatever price they choose to set. No CBS without also carrying CBS Sports, Showtime, etc. Don’t want to play ball? You’ll lose access to NFL games, March Madness, American Idol, The Oscars, you name it! Once that door opens there’s no going back.

I believe this is a very important stand for Dish to make, albeit possibly one of the last in a war they are already losing. But if Fox simply gets their way, Dish (and eventually all pay TV provider’s) bills will rise to the point that we’ll all be missing the days of annual $5 increases.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)